Some interesting read:
https://kenrockwell.com/apple/index.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:06 am 

I refuse to use any Apple products...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 am 

There you go folks, Ken Rockwell like it, AudiOhm hates it. Great thread, really enjoyed the point, counterpoint. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 am 

AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am 

Bandy wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Why?

Many reasons. Their closed ecosystem could be one of them. Not to mention the limited selection of hardware in comparison to other devices.

As for the sound quality – found this comment interesting.

Quote:
Apple has more smart people and more resources than any other audio company on the planet, so as we see when it comes to audio engineering, the iPhone easily outdoes many so-called "audiophile" products.

Apple does not engineer their own DAC’s – Cirrus Logic provides a OEM DAC chip which could also be used in other devices from other manufactures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 am 

I have an iPad Pro....did a little test through a Hegel H90.

1. Using the headphone out via mini rca to stereo rca...analogue into the Hegel

2. Apple adaptor to USB cable to Herus dac, then via same mini rca......

So basically comparing the internal dac to a $350 external dac.

Well, the internal dac is clean, although sounds flat.

The external dac was much more alive...better dynamics, texture, generally much more musical.

Was streaming Radio Paradise from the iPad Pro.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am 

Similar results to meiwan for iPad and iPhone to Denon X4300 either via stereo out jack or via AirPlay ... much better via lightning adapter to USB into DacMagic Plus then to Denon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:58 am 

Bandy wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Why?

iTunes, a massive program that takes over your computer, difficult to navigate software...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 pm 

Thanx for the linl.

Quote:
Many reasons. Their closed ecosystem could be one of them. Not to mention the limited selection of hardware in comparison to other devices.

Closed, uniform and consistent echosystem that works couls also be considered an asset.

And if you ar ehappy to just buy some of the very best most reliable hardware out there…

dave

Not counting the museum: MacBook Pro 15” (mid 2015), MacBookPo 15” (mid 2012), MacMini, MacPro, PowerMac G5, iPhone 6S, iPod Classic 140.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 pm 

planet10 wrote:
Thanx for the linl.

Quote:

Closed, uniform and consistent echosystem that works couls also be considered an asset.

And if you ar ehappy to just buy some of the very best most reliable hardware out there…

dave

Not counting the museum: MacBook Pro 15” (mid 2015), MacBookPo 15” (mid 2012), MacMini, MacPro, PowerMac G5, iPhone 6S, iPod Classic 140.

No denying Apple’s ecosystem works well, especially if you keep within Apple’s hardware. But it may not be the best for every individuals needs. As for hardware, Apple has its faults just as any other manufacture. Keep in mind that an Apple computer and or device is built by the same OEM, using the same OEM parts as many other manufactures. There is nothing special within an Apple computer. Reliability is no different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

Many products to satisfy many needs.

All the reliability reports put Apple at the top of the heap and repairs when they ar eneeded are usually straight-forward with a high level of customer satisfaction.

Apple designs are very specific and while they may well use many of the same parts, how they are put together is very Apple specific.

And with some products Apple has such large needs literally “own” the supply market, and more and more of the parts are Apple designed and then made in the fabs. iPhones & iPads have Apple processors not available elsewhere.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 pm 

planet10 wrote:
Many products to satisfy many needs.

All the reliability reports put Apple at the top of the heap and repairs when they ar eneeded are usually straight-forward with a high level of customer satisfaction.

Apple designs are very specific and while they may well use many of the same parts, how they are put together is very Apple specific.

And with some products Apple has such large needs literally “own” the supply market, and more and more of the parts are Apple designed and then made in the fabs. iPhones & iPads have Apple processors not available elsewhere.

dave

Apple’s SOC are not made by Apple. They are contracted out to either Samsung, ARM or TSMC. For their computers they strictly use Intel CPU’s. Regardless, all still follow an X86 architect that was developed by Intel, not Apple. Same can be said about the rest of the hardware Apple uses which is why you can run an Apple OS on a Windows PC and vice versa (can throw in Linux into that mix as well). The Spectre and Meltdown exploits affected every operating system… why?? Cause they all follow an Intel architect. The sheer number of Windows PC’s vs Apple means you will always see more failures with PC than Apple. But stats show Apple failures are in the same number per user as many top brand PC’s. Apple’s OS cannot correct a failing OEM hard drive any more than Windows can. And that can be applied across all hardware involved.

And if you want to dig even deeper, in 2017 OSX has more recorded vulnerabilities than Win 10. 2018 has yet to be calculated but if history dictates any trends, my bet would be that Windows 10 will show less vulnerabilities than OSX.

Don’t make this an Apple vs PC or Android thread. All have their pros and cons – there will never be a winner. Choose what suits you and accept others may feel a different OS offers more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:47 pm 

[quote="sthomas1049”]
Apple’s SOC are not made by Apple. They are contracted out to either Samsung, ARM or TSMC. [/quote]

Same as many manufactures. Do the design and farm out the FAB work. Still an Apple chip.

Quote:
For their computers they strictly use Intel CPUs

Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel because the writing was on the wall. Apple maintains/maintained multiple versions of their UNIX OS X on various chips, the switch was fairly easy.

iOS is based on the same basic code and runs on Apple’s ARM chips.

[img]is%20why%20you%20can%20run%20an%20Apple%20OS%20on%20a%20Windows%20PC%20and%20vice%20versa%20(can%20throw%20in%20Linux%20into%20that%20mix%20as%20well)[/img]

True. Only certain motherboards can be made into a hackintosh and it takes some work, whereas the Macs are designed to run Windows (or Linux) natively.

Quote:
The Spectre and Meltdown exploits affected every operating system… why?? Cause they all follow an Intel architect.

Because those bugs were baked into the chips. And not only Intel At some point some designer figured a trick to make things faster, but not see the vulnrability it opened up. Nothing to do with the OS.

Quote:
The sheer number of Windows PC’s vs Apple means you will always see more failures with PC than Apple. But stats show Apple failures are in the same number per user as many top brand PC’s.

Failure as a percentage is consistently lower.

Quote:
2017 OSX has more recorded vulnerabilities

High Sierra had some stupis bugs in it. But i always tend to lag a version… time to upgrade just before the next OS version is released. Smart for anyone with any OS. Kinda hard with Windows 10 shoving itself down people’s throats.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 pm 

I started purchasing Apple devices because they were offering features other didn't have. That has changed as many have caught up and surpassed them for some of these but do they match the service level Apple provides:
when my first iPad had a serious mishap 3 days after purchase, Apple replaced it for free.
when my MacBook Pro and 2 iPhones were stolen from my house we contacted Apple and were assured a kill code was sent out that would render them useless as soon as they connected to a network. Peace of mind considering the info that was on them. Nothing came back to haunt us from that. The insurance adjuster stated that being Apple products they were easier to replace and we had new replacements in 5 days. We had to get the hardware at FS for the insurance company but went directly to the Apple store where our phones were restored quickly at no charge. I wouldn't know who to call in such a case for other manufacturers.
When we purchased my daughter's MacBook air at the Apple store 8 years ago they spent 2 hours with her getting her familiar with it. Again at no charge. She still uses it daily.
There have been a few other occasions now when we just dropped into the store with a device to learn how something works. Always received the help we needed.
They're level of service flies well above any other I've experienced and the devices I have have been trouble free far longer than any other I have owned.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:18 am 

Excellent point.

sthomas1049 wrote:
Don’t make this an Apple vs PC or Android thread. All have their pros and cons – there will never be a winner.

There are already too many off topic posts to edit, let alone send PMs and warnings to the culprits.

The topic is Apple hardware DACs, with a glance at the OP's source link.

The thread stays on topic or gets locked.