Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm 

I'm doing a reno to a portion of my basement. Having a lot of the ceiling open I could run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my stereo area.
While it's not really cost prohibitive (in a basic sense), I'm on the fence.
If I decide to go for it, would basic 14/2 wire really make a difference?
Is there an alternative type of wire?
Anyone gone this route, whether you used standard wire or something different and found it was an improvement?
Thanks to all that comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm 

why have others run a dedicated circuit?

if the room is gutted and that one circuit is not cost prohibitive then what's stopping you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm 

12/2 required for 20amp breaker.

G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:

if the room is gutted and that one circuit is not cost prohibitive then what's stopping you?

I can pull the wire. I would rather hire an electrician than need the fire department.
We all make choices.

-- 22 Jun 2018 23:43 --

sasquatch wrote:

G

Thanks Gary. Taking into consideration the the gauge of wire, would it improve or change anything over what I currently have?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 pm 

I did it at my old house and it was worth it in just peace of mind alone. Knowing that any issues I had with hum or anything else were due to something with my stereo, be it tubes or whatever, rather than running through a process of elimination because there so much other crap on the circuit.

Dimmers, lamps with outboard power supply, bar fridge, etc.... can all be a contributing factor to noise, and you won't realise how much was there until you do what you can to eliminate it, spend and extra $100 or so and get a cryo treated outlet from Take Five or your favourite vendor to get the most out of your efforts.

In the end I just can't see how you would be disappointed since you have the chance to do it now on the cheap (comparatively)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:

I can pull the wire. I would rather hire an electrician than need the fire department.
We all make choices.

[/quote]

I don't understand. if money is not an issue than an electrician is not a factor.

given the current rooms state this is the perfect opportunity.

I hinted for you to Google the benefits of a dedicated line.

your "we make choices" comment has me scratching my head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm 

Being more robust and dedicated will clean up the neutral/ground.
Just make sure no loops,twists or sharp bends when you or the electrician
pulls the wire from panel to outlet(s).

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm 

Do it if it's cheap or if you think you might be second guessing yourself if you don't. If you're looking for support statements, I have two and believe they make a difference even though I only use 15 amp cords.
I installed the outlets and pulled my own wires which was the bulk of the work but had an electrician connect to the panel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:33 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

We all make choices.

Sorry Blinky,
I agree this is the opportunity to run the circuit.
I have hired an electrician, he is doing a bunch of stuff regarding the reno, so he will be doing the work.
I didn't make that clear.
Paul

I don't understand. if money is not an issue than an electrician is not a factor.

given the current rooms state this is the perfect opportunity.

I hinted for you to Google the benefits of a dedicated line.

your "we make choices" comment has me scratching my head.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm 

sasquatch wrote:

G

Yep, when our house was built and I asked the electrician for one dedicated 20 amp circuit, he indicated the need for 12 gauge cable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 pm 

Yup, did the 12 g 20 amp. Cut out some circuit interference. Wired it myself. 20 years previous, I did a whole basement FR installation and other stuff.. 9 years ago we redid the kitchen and had a pro do what I needed there, he then inspected the whole basement and audio job I did and said 'totally up to code - perfect'. I read a library book back in the day. No google then...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:54 am 

Check Take Five Audio for their cryogenic wire, and audiophile outlets. Cost a bit more but might as well go for all the tweaks now and not have to wonder about them later.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:18 am 

If you're going to run a 20A circuit, run 2. You never know what you'll buy in the future that may need more juice.

I have a 20A circuit for my LR system, then when I bought my Krell, it strongly recommended it's own dedicated 20A. So I ran a second. In my case the basement ceiling is a dropped ceiling, so it was fairly easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:29 am 

When you have the electrician there. Install the best 20 amp breaker. there are cheap ones and much better ones. Also look at having the main panel grounded for lightning. This will also help your circuit from frying everything attached to it. Lastly install the upgraded wall outlet . There are posts out there as to the ones to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 am 

I added a dedicated 20 amp circuit when i had my house rewired. Its dirt cheap. I had the electrician put the breaker on the “quiet” side of the box where the big appliances wern’t. I think it made a small difference. Compare to cyro treated (try explaining that to an electrcian) outlets I think it’s a sensible cost effective move. What you avoid is the possible hum or distortion when someone powers up something on the same cicuit.