Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm 

Hey all,

I currently use a Beresford TC-7510 as a DAC. I like it well enough... it's my first DAC, and while my setup is not incredibly revealing, I enjoy it. I think the DAC is starting to fail, though: I have to toggle the power button about a dozen times to get it to turn on, other buttons are starting to go, and it's all just getting worse.

I'm looking for a recommendation for something to replace it at around the $200 mark, give or take. Right now I use the DAC to convert signals from an Apple Airport Extreme connected via optical (mostly Tidal & Netflix wireless streaming) & a NAD C521BEE CD player with a coaxial connection. The DAC feeds a NAD C740/NAD 214 out to KEF Reference 103.2s & Dynaudio Emit M-10s. I guess I could also use the internal DACs in both devices and just leave the dedicated DAC out of the chain, but I don't think I want to do that.

Any thoughts? I welcome other ideas on cleaning up and improving the signal chain throughout as well. Eventually I'd love to move to an integrated or something that would allow me to cut the Airport out of the chain, but I think that's going to remain out of my price range for a while.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by two2the8 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

I would suggest to first try the Airport direct into the NAD. The analogue output is not bad on those and I'm not sure that even in the used market a $200 dac will be enough difference to be of value; then save that money towards the upgrade you really want.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:55 pm 

Micromega MyDac;
excellent for the little money;
some on CAM?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:07 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
I would suggest to first try the Airport direct into the NAD.

I guess I'll try that out, you're probably right :|

natedog wrote:
Micromega MyDac

Thanks for the tip! None that I can find on CAM right now, but I'll keep an eye out.

In the meantime, the Boss Player 1.2 from Allo is looking pretty cool... seems it can act as a network streamer, play files from connected hdds (currently quite a pain for me), and it gets very positive reviews for SQ. Plus it's highly configurable, which sounds like hours of fun. Would love to hear from anyone who runs a Pi-based streaming setup on their general impressions... The price sure is right!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 pm 

I was going to suggest leaving it on at all times, but that will not help with the other switches that are acting up.
DACs sound their best when fully stabilized for temperature and can benefit from being left on all the time.
My trusty Wadia 12 has no power switch, it has been on for 24 years!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 pm 

I second the nomination for the Micromega MyDac. It was my intro to digital and I bought it when it was new, at close to the full list price (near $400 CDN if I recall). Tons and tons of raves online in the audio press and consumer reviews.

I sold it for well under $200 and have seen it on CAM for the same price. It can be found brand-new now for $269 (the last time I checked).

I have to admit I upgraded to a $2000 Oppo DAC/headphone amp with the same ESS chip found in some $10,000 units and had a tough time discerning major differences between the MyDac and Oppo.

-- 22 Jun 2018 22:35 --

EDITED TO ADD:

No affiliation, yadda-yadda...

https://fillion.ca/en/catalog/product/1 ... ga-MyDac-B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 am 

devon58 wrote:
I was going to suggest leaving it on at all times, but that will not help with the other switches that are acting up.
DACs sound their best when fully stabilized for temperature and can benefit from being left on all the time.
My trusty Wadia 12 has no power switch, it has been on for 24 years!

24 Years! That's amazing. I mostly try to leave it on, and I don't have to switch inputs too much right now, so it's not a problem all the time. It's helpful to hear that DACs in general benefit from staying on all the time. I'll try to keep that in mind.

FLACfan wrote:
I second the nomination for the Micromega MyDac.

Right on, I'll keep an eye out!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:20 pm 

I recently bought one of these. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/SMSL-Sanskrit-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder/dp/B00SY9RBOM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:22 pm 

dmitchell wrote:

How does it compare to your DAC-9?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

Wind Chaser wrote:
I'll let it go for $120 + shipping with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee, plus I'll include at least 25 *CDs. And if you don't like the DAC - you can keep the CDs and I'll return the $120.

Wow, that's quite a kind offer! I'll send you a PM to discuss.

dmitchell wrote:

https://www.amazon.ca/SMSL-Sanskrit-Opt ... B00SY9RBOM

Right on, I'll throw it in the mix of candidates. Thanks for the tip :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 am 

Wind Chaser wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

How does it compare to your DAC-9?

Of course it doesn't compare to a $1000 dollar DAC, but it certainly holds it's own for the price I paid. I'm using it in my living room system for more or less background listening, and I'm very happy with it. I may eventually buy another for my headphone system at the office.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 am 

Aaron has the disease.....the upgrade and change-up disease.....and he has it bad. :lol:

Windchaser's deal is awfully hard to resist.....unless his offered CDs are all Slim Whitman!! :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, make your choice with the future in mind...always better to make a good choice and invest where it will carry you forward for a few years. Too bad we weren't closer, I have a couple of integrated I could loan you .....

Best of luck and best wishes!!
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 am 
Premium User

I use the Micromega, a Music Hall DAC15.2 and a Newprime Mini. All good, all affordable! (But when I do care to get all serious I use my Allnic D5000 - Superb and not all that affordable!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Aaron has the disease.....the upgrade and change-up disease.....and he has it bad.

Haha, it's true! I've been working as a researcher for the past few years, and I find it oddly enjoyable to sift through reams of info on the internet :)

I do hope the acquisition-itis will slow down at some point as I get closer to what I want, but I'm still in the beginning stages and there's just so much to learn about. I'm trying to think of this year as a time to experiment as I try to build a satisfying setup on a fairly budget.

brownslane wrote:
Seriously though, make your choice with the future in mind...always better to make a good choice and invest where it will carry you forward for a few years.

That's helpful advice. I'm thinking I may make a move toward the Allo Boss Player & leave the CD player to do its own conversion. At least, that's what I'm thinking today. Tomorrow... who knows?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:44 pm 

I don't know your particular nad cd player but I heard a $50 one and the dac sounded excellent
more than likely your cd player has an even better dac then the one i heard.