Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 am 

I'm curious, if someone sells an item on ebay and buyer pays with paypal it's understood the buyer has 180 days to dispute the transaction.

so what happens when someone today sells an electronic item made in 1978, the seller receives item in as described order and uses it for 178 days and on the 179th day the item fails... but, that item only had a manufacturers warranty of 1 year so it ran out in 1979...

can the buyer say they never used the item this entire time and activate paypal buyer protection on that 179th day to submit for a 100% refund?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 am 

So what happens to buyer protection when ad states working 100% but vintage and sold strictly as is?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 am 

good question!!

but in reality I believe a seller can write whatever they want regarding returns in their ad... everything still falls under paypal protection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am 

If it is an Ebay sale, then Ebay will determine the ability of the buyer to file a claim or not. If the item is received in working order, then there would be no right to claim by the buyer past that acknowledgement.PayPal will go along with the Ebay decision.It falls on the buyer to report a problem within a short time from receiving the item .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 am 

not an ebay sale, a CAM sale paid via paypal but either way I'm guessing both sales are applicable to the same paypal rules

I've just emailed paypal with this question, will post their response

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 am 

bolly wrote:
not an ebay sale, a CAM sale paid via paypal :)

You stated an Ebay sale in your opening.Again, it still would be the responsibility of the buyer to report an issue within a short time of receiving the item in order to win a case. Plus the buyer would have to return the item before they would be refunded.The 6 month issue would likely be for a lost item from a far away shipping location.

-- 22 Jun 2018 20:17 --

On Ebay sales, it is Ebay that determines the outcome of a refund or not.PayPal takes their cue from them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 am 

bolly wrote:
not an ebay sale, a CAM sale paid via paypal but either way I'm guessing both sales are applicable to the same paypal rules

Nice....abuse something for 179 days then demand money back.

Dark days...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:25 am 

bolly wrote:

I think you'll find that PayPal buyer protection applies only to eBay purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am 

ok so 2 scenarios, still regarding paypal buyer protection, 1st is an ebay purchase, 2nd is private purchase :)

-- 22 Jun 2018 14:59 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
bolly wrote:

Dark days...

THAT!! is exactly what I'm afraid of!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm 

bolly wrote:
ok so 2 scenarios, still regarding paypal buyer protection, 1st is an ebay purchase, 2nd is private purchase :)

-- 22 Jun 2018 14:59 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
bolly wrote:

Dark days...

THAT!! is exactly what I'm afraid of!!

Yep! And that is why a lot of people won't take PayPal. It has evolved into the best way to scam a seller online.
PayPal was so determined to give maximum protection to buyers that it left sellers open to all kinds of abuse.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm 

It is pretty difficult for a buyer to pull a scam on an Ebay sale.The length of time to ask for a refund, after the item has been received, is 30 days but it must be reported to the seller pretty well right away after the item has arrived.The seller is to be notified first before a claim is entered.Once an item is returned, the seller has time to examine the item before a refund is granted.It must be as it was shipped to qualify for a refund.Shipping damage is not covered in the refund policy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm 

Lots of stories about 'buyers' removing parts from perfectly good components and claiming they arrived that way. In my case, a mint condition (and very rare) SACD supposedly arrived badly scratched. PayPal sided with the 'buyer', and he sent me his badly scratched disk, keeping mine. His 'winning' bid was VERY high … but he obviously had no intention of actually paying for it. Never again … no more PayPal, no more eBay. :evil:

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
Lots of stories about 'buyers' removing parts from perfectly good components and claiming they arrived that way. In my case, a mint condition (and very rare) SACD supposedly arrived badly scratched. PayPal sided with the 'buyer', and he sent me his badly scratched disk, keeping mine. His 'winning' bid was VERY high … but he obviously had no intention of actually paying for it. Never again … no more PayPal, no more eBay. :evil:

I had the same type of issue. Item returned was not what I sent (same model though). PayPal asked for a couple of pictures, then sided with me. The buyer did not get a refund and I was allowed to keep his item.I also had a case where I sent a turntable (worth $450.00) to Tennessee and the buyer claimed he did not get it.Tracking said he did receive it. After he filed a claim, PayPal held the funds from my account upon investigation. A few days later, they returned the money to me. But they also refunded the same amount to the buyer as they believed the item was stolen off his porch.They were very fair to both parties.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm 

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I had the same type of issue. Item returned was not what I sent (same model though). PayPal asked for a couple of pictures, then sided with me. The buyer did not get a refund and I was allowed to keep his item.I also had a case where I sent a turntable (worth $450.00) to Tennessee and the buyer claimed he did not get it.Tracking said he did receive it. After he filed a claim, PayPal held the funds from my account upon investigation. A few days later, they returned the money to me. But they also refunded the same amount to the buyer as they believed the item was stolen off his porch.They were very fair to both parties.

I wish they had been fair with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:29 pm 

I did close to 15,000 selling transactions on PayPal over 20 years before retirement and I had no issue at all.It is not perfect , but it is the best we have .Certainly better than an EMT which is akin to putting cash in an envelope and sending it to a complete stranger.