Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am 

I am wondering if anyone here is still doing any recording on VHS tapes or even DVD Audio recording, I used to do plenty of VHS Audio recording many many years ago,because the Audio quality was far superior that any cassette recorders were capable of and was Very close in quality to the Best reel to reel machines also Much cheaper, Now that I have a large amount of quality Albums stored on external hard drives,I would really like to have some Hard copy's of my favorite ones, There are Tons of excellent quality VCR`s available from around $5 to $30 in thrift shops,2nd hand stores,flea markets as well as yard sales,so cost is not an issue,I also like the option of being able to record 4 to 5 albums on one tape,Another great way to Record is with DVD Audio on a DVD Recorder as you can also record from 4 to 5 albums on one disc using the LP setting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm 

joseph49 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone here is still doing any recording on VHS tapes or even DVD Audio recording, I used to do plenty of VHS Audio recording many many years ago,because the Audio quality was far superior that any cassette recorders were capable of and was Very close in quality to the Best reel to reel machines also Much cheaper, Now that I have a large amount of quality Albums stored on external hard drives,I would really like to have some Hard copy's of my favorite ones, There are Tons of excellent quality VCR`s available from around $5 to $30 in thrift shops,2nd hand stores,flea markets as well as yard sales,so cost is not an issue,I also like the option of being able to record 4 to 5 albums on one tape,Another great way to Record is with DVD Audio on a DVD Recorder as you can also record from 4 to 5 albums on one disc using the LP setting.

That was a lot of fun back in the day and your right the playback quality was very good ,

While traveling in Japan in the early 1980s I hit every stereo shop I saw and remember seeing dedicated VHS recorders for sale in high end shops ,
I transferred a lot of Lps and recorded FM broadcasts on my VHS machine however they mistakenly were lost or ripped off during a move .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm 

I have several concert specials recorded on VHS. Recently pulled a barely used higher end Sony player out of the recycling storage at work so I have been able to enjoy them again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 pm 

...I have a Toshiba SVHS SV-771 Diomage that I mainly used as a recording deck to record and play LPs ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:38 pm 

I did that in the mid 80's, I am sure I still have the VHS tapes buried somewhere...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm 

joseph49 wrote:
I would really like to have some Hard copy's of my favorite ones, There are Tons of excellent quality VCR`s available from around $5 to $30 in thrift shops,2nd hand stores,flea markets as well as yard sales,so cost is not an issue,I also like the option of being able to record 4 to 5 albums on one tape,Another great way to Record is with DVD Audio on a DVD Recorder as you can also record from 4 to 5 albums on one disc using the LP setting.

I would not send any more albums to VHS tapes anymore.

The problem is that playback was difficult from machine to machine, as tracking was never bang-on, and resulted in dropouts.

That reminds me...tapes recorded in EP on less than great tapes would always result in dropouts. :D.

I'd just get the DVD audio thing going. Better yet, burn them to DVD-R on a computer, as you'll get a LOT more albums that way. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 pm 

Done it on Beta hi-fi machines long before VHS had HiFi sound. No dropouts at lowest speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:23 am 

Used to record FM programs to VHS. Handy because the auto-start timer built-in meant I didn't even have to be at home to do it. And the SQ was very good, better than my Nak LX-3 cassette deck.