Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grounding Box
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 am 

Thought I might have a go at building a grounding box. Can anyone recommend a source for crushed quartz or other piezoelectric materials that can be used for the internal mix.

Post subject: Re: Grounding Box
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 am 

milesian wrote:
Thought I might have a go at building a grounding box. Can anyone recommend a source for crushed quartz or other piezoelectric materials that can be used for the internal mix.

Please add more details to this concept :idea:

I'm guessing that something much more than "grounding" is expected or desired or ..... :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am 

jst_canuck wrote:

I'm guessing that something much more than "grounding" is expected or desired or ..... :?:

http://www.v2.stereotimes.com/post/entreq-ground-boxes/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm 

you may also read this..https://www.head-fi.org/threads/entreq- ... rt.828707/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm 

Tourmaline and clear white quartz are readily available on ebay though you'll need to crush them to your liking. You'll also need patience since they come from China. I'm still waiting for my quartz. In the meantime I visited Wynn Audio and spent quite some time with Wynn himself. Listened mostly in the less expensive room that costs as much as a condo. Felt no sales pressure at all. Very accomodating in fact. Ended up purchasing the least expensive Entreq of them all. I've heard them in use before and this time didn't change my opinion. I may get around to building one and compare but for me intent rarely results in realization. Good luck with your build.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm 

milesian wrote:

So how close is the performance of your custom build ground box do you expect compare to the least expansive Entreq model(Cdn$400) or the most expansive model that cost US$9000? I am sure anything that you do will be better than doing nothing, but why wasting time listen to inferior sound while you can buy a product that really work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 pm 

dts-99 wrote:
milesian wrote:

So how close is the performance of your custom build ground box do you expect compare to the least expansive Entreq model(Cdn$400) or the most expansive model that cost US$9000? I am sure anything that you do will be better than doing nothing, but why wasting time listen to inferior sound while you can buy a product that really work.

'Cause that's the kind of guy he is. milesian I applaud your inquisitiveness & integrity! :D

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 pm 

Will used bentonite work?

Asking for a friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:07 am 

dts-99 wrote:
milesian wrote:

Being retired I have lots of time to try projects that amuse and intrigue me, and so far the most expensive part has been a hefty $30 copper bar from the Metals Supermarket. I also picked up yesterday a bag of aquarium gravel which on close inspection appears to have quartz in it. For $8 it’s worth a try. I have a small bag of quartz crystals and a few pieces of tourmaline so I’ll add those to the mix. I’m already using a homemade version of the Gutwire ground cable and my speakers are floating on a home made roller bearing platform using kitchen drawer pulls from Lowe’s and ball-bearings. You can do a surprising amount with a little ingenuity. Thanks for all the comments folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 am 

Interesting thread, milesian. Would appreciate it if you kept us informed of the materials you used and how it turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am 

Erik wrote:
Will used bentonite work?

Asking for a friend.

YES it might but then NO it might not....depending entirely on your definition of "work" :idea:

Used bentonite will definitely "work" to fill a wooden box with a plated terminal at one end.
I expect that it will continue to "work" perfectly in this way until the end of time.

Not so sure about the other working properties of such fill needed to absorb electrical noise on signal ground connections.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 am 

I am really missing something here. Anyone have a schematic of the internal connections ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 am 

milesian wrote:

Being retired I have lots of time to try projects that amuse and intrigue me, and so far the most expensive part has been a hefty $30 copper bar from the Metals Supermarket. I also picked up yesterday a bag of aquarium gravel which on close inspection appears to have quartz in it. For $8 it’s worth a try. I have a small bag of quartz crystals and a few pieces of tourmaline so I’ll add those to the mix. I’m already using a homemade version of the Gutwire ground cable and my speakers are floating on a home made roller bearing platform using kitchen drawer pulls from Lowe’s and ball-bearings. You can do a surprising amount with a little ingenuity. Thanks for all the comments folks.

Please describe precisely how you are going to hook all of this together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
I am really missing something here. Anyone have a schematic of the internal connections ?

Basically, it's this:

Connector <-------> ??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOVfFLTXB3k

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 am 

jst_canuck wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:

Basically, it's this:

Connector <-------> ??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOVfFLTXB3k

I watched the video and all of my fears have come true. I will now practice self moderation and leave this thread.