Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: listening to mono LP's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

So, I'm slowly learning more and more about what I am missing out on, even after 40 years of vinyl. I want to improve my mono listening experience. I don't think I want to be switching head shells and carts or using a Y patch and having to unplug/plug my phono cables, and I don't have space for a second tt. Therefore, I was wondering if adding a pre-amp with a mono switch would be a reasonable and practical alternative. I run a Thorens TD 145 with a Stanton D681 EEE through a Pioneer SA-6500 amp(I know, I know, many of you will tell me to upgrade the amp) with a set of Klipsh Heresy speakers.

I am thinking my stereo listening will be improved as a bonus. If this is a good, no hassle solution, please weigh in on which reasonably priced good quality pre-amp I should get.

Thanks in advance knowledgeable people.

Last edited by oneR1 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 pm 

It's as close to no hassle as you can get. That said, I'm not sure if summing the channels in the preamp is any different than summing the coils in the cartridge body, though some say it is. Beside the option to increase or decrease inductance is one reason to do it at the cartridge pins, but I'm not sure what the cartridge makers are doing internally.

Can't help you on the preamp side of things. Mine has a mono switch but it's of a vintage where they all did lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:37 pm 

Thanks ripblade,
I am happy to buy a used vintage pre-amp, it would be right at home with my set up. Any suggestions for that? I've never owned one. And, I can't remember the model we used at the university radio station where I once worked.

Also, since my Pioneer amp has a phono pre-amp, is there any issue with running the signal through two?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:23 pm 

My amp solves all those weird problems with a mono option switch from stereo . The options also include reverse stereo which helps at time when a recording seems to be only coming out of one speaker. A great test switch. Perhaps if your more interested into listening to mono you should look around for an amp or receiver that has this mono option. In case your wondering my amp is a Yamaha CA 2010. This would cure the headaches of extra wires..boxes and other switches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:47 pm 

Running a preamp into your Pioneer will almost certainly worsen the sound and running it through the Pioneer's phono input will overload that input and have the signal running through RIAA equalization twice. I'm not even sure running it through a line input will work. The best solution is the simplest. If you're willing to buy a component, sell the Pioneer and buy a better integrated amp that has a phono input and a mono switch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm 

Thank you Gibson,

I was worried about this type of thing.

Since I have been quite happy with my SA 6500, does anyone have happy experiences with an SA-7500. And, is the SA 7500 II better or worse?

If I step up further, what do people like more the SA 9100 or 9500?

Or something comparable with similar looks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 am 

You can run your turntable output through an external phono preamp, then into a line-level input on your Pioneer.
I did have a Pioneer SA-8500, and it sounded very good, but I am addicted to Yamaha, so I sold it.
With a bit of patience, you should be able to find something bigger than the 6500, of that vintage, for a reasonable price. Beside the increase in power, there is usually some refinement in circuitry, and a few more switching options.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 am 

Thanks Alec, I have decided to get an upgrade on my amp and find one of a similar vintage.

What would be a comparable Yamaha to a Pioneer SA 9500? And what do you like about the Yamaha's?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 pm 

Okay, So I quickly found an upgrade for my amp that interested me. A Pioneer SA 9500. So I now have a mono switch and I've finally done what several here have suggested in the past, get a better, more powerful amp. It all sounds beautiful. Full, detailed, lively and quite effortless. But I am now left with an issue I've long considered and chalked up to my under powered lower grade amp, the fact that my set up is a little lacking in the lower end.

I've read that this is a common criticism of the Heresy's. I love many of the attributes of these speakers, but they have always left me wanting a little more presence and resonance from the bass. I have read on other threads that people recommend getting the cross-overs upgraded. Would that help this aspect? I'd love to keep the Heresy's if I can modify them to just add a bit of something something. I've never liked sub-woofers on a home set up dedicated to music and I am not a bass hound that wants the windows rattling with every pluck, but just a bit more than what I have.

If you just started reading here, my set up is described in the first post of this thread, with the exception that I've moved from the Pioneer 6500 to the 9500. All advice appreciated.

Eric