Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I've got a lot of buyer's guides for the USA and Canada, some back to 1975, then a gap, then early 80's..then most through the 80's and 90's.

full specs and prices.

I've put off making them into PDF's for a very long time as this requires cutting them up and feeding them into a high speed reference library type HP scanning bed.

I found a $2700 HP scanner of that type, at the goodwill, about 6 years back. Brand new, for $20. I've left it sit, as I dreaded the size of the task. I'd have to pretty well make a dedicated PC set up for it. It came with the software and what not, as well.

Is there any interest in such a pile of big PDF's?

Eg, they came in handy today, even.

I needed to find a set of woofers for a pair of mint Mirage 750's.

I found out they were current in 1987, sold for $750 cdn, and found the data that is not even in the spec and promo sheet, which is: 39hz-20khz, +/-3db, efficiency rated at 91db.

So I CAN grab a set of goldwood 10" woofers, with a Qt of 1.07, and a efficiency of 91db, and designed to work in sealed boxes of about 2.5 cubic feet, and rated at 4 oms and a DC resistance of 3.9 ohms. They would work perfectly. Knowing the efficiency and the -3db point, in hz, of the original---was critical. The single mirage 750 woofer I have (blown surround) , has a DC Resistance of 3.6-3.7ohms, which is pretty close. Close enough for rock and roll.

These things are useful almost every day....

That's what one gets for being an audio magazine dung beetle (pushing your crap around wherever you move)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:26 pm 

One thing I'd do before diving in is to see if these people can use your raw material.

http://audio-database.com/

Their English isn't very good but they have digitised a ton of printed matter so far.

Could possibly save you a lot of work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:14 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
I've got a lot of buyer's guides for the USA and Canada, some back to 1975, then a gap, then early 80's..then most through the 80's and 90's. ...
I've put off making them into PDF's for a very long time as this requires cutting them up and feeding them into a high speed reference library type HP scanning bed.

Be aware that your PDFs will be "images" of the guides, NOT searchable PDFs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I'm well aware it will be a simple copy of the guides, a simple pdf. :)

People should be able to walk, talk to people, turn off the tv, converse, think for themselves, count change in their head, read analog clocks.... write cursive...shoot and clean their own food (if they eat meat at all) and..read and search image based pdfs. To not just possess a brain, but to possess one that functions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 pm 

You could make them searchable with OCR.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:01 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

ae86 wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'll have to make them high resolution, though, so the OCR system can read it well enough. I suspect it will not be perfect, though, as these are old cheap paper, with what will be contrast issues. Basically, read adjustments to each given single magazine/issue.

Only so much time in this life.

I can make them ...and if someone wants to futz with them they can knock themselves out.

The originals would probably have high enough resolution but by the time some ambitious person gets a hold of the files, some other ambitious person will have degraded them to low resolution for the simple reason that they don't like big files. Happens all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
ae86 wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'll have to make them high resolution, though, so the OCR system can read it well enough. I suspect it will not be perfect, though, as these are old cheap paper, with what will be contrast issues. Basically, read adjustments to each given single magazine/issue.

Only so much time in this life.

I can make them ...and if someone wants to futz with them they can knock themselves out.

The originals would probably have high enough resolution but by the time some ambitious person gets a hold of the files, some other ambitious person will have degraded them to low resolution for the simple reason that they don't like big files. Happens all the time.

Yes it does, its amazing how little people, even professional designers/artists/photographers know about file formats. I have seen a pro photographer edit files in .jpg. Every time file was saved look crapier, lossy compression. But he liked the small file size. The schools r not teaching right....