Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am 

Is there a trustworthy person with a Trailer or 5ton Truck that transports stuff accross canada that will pick up or deliver large speakers nationwide.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am 

FRAUDBUSTER wrote:
Is there a trustworthy person with a Trailer or 5ton Truck that transports stuff accross canada that will pick up or deliver large speakers nationwide.

https://www.gonavis.com/location/shipping/woodbridge/cn1007/ppc/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCIvaLjs1lO1diPDJ96VtNW71I5Mq2u_veqUn5PRrhcAxpTD70lZa1AaAse8EALw_wcB

First thing that came up on a Google search...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 am 

Is there a bonded private company with a truck or hitch trailer that travels accross canada often

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm 

Have you considered contacting a moving company?
Think there's a couple to choose from...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:19 pm 

Theres so many companies its just a matter of trust. Is there anyone you personally dealt with that you trust.
Pm me privately if dont feel like sharing puicly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 pm 

Attachments:
Trust_No_One_tagline.jpg
Trust_No_One_tagline.jpg [ 32.29 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:06 pm 

You could ask some of the audio shops which companies they use to ship out large speakers. What ever company they use, I would use. I am pretty sure a friend of mine used Day and Ross to have speakers delivered to him, Winnipeg to Ottawa and they came from an audio store out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:40 pm 
Premium User

FRAUDBUSTER wrote:

Greyhound bus. They will send a van to go pick up your boxes at home and also deliver to customer home. The best deal by far and no real volume size restraints though be somewhat reasonable and or no weight limits again within reason like say one guy able to lift meaning the bus driver.

Example; Sent Tannoy 15" in cabinets twice now to Vancouver from Montreal. Mind blown each time. Surprise! Don't forget to give 20$ tip to the pickup driver.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:58 pm 

Yes same site in the show Shipping Wars.

https://www.uship.com/ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm 
Distributor/Sponsor

Call Tippet-Richardson.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm 

Are you looking to ship regularly (ie daily) or once a week, or once a blue moon. It makes a big $$$ difference. Fedex Freight have been remarkably low for my business and have been quite reliable. UPS are the worst. DHL have been pretty good. After 20 years shipping all over Canada I use postal for smalls and Fedex Ground for most else. For big, heavy things like engines, transmissions etc I use Fedex Freight. I have shipped to Dubai through them.

Time to start shopping around. Cheapest will NEVER be best. Beware low-price couriers. Investigate insurance rates (very expensive). Be sure and insure both speakers individually and (if they must be matched pairs) DOUBLE that insured price...that way if one speaker cabinet is destroyed, the whole set will be replaced......Insurance is often more expensive than the cost of shipping....be sure and compare rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

You only what you pay for , period.
If you want it to arrive on time and intact, there are no cheapo shortcuts.

(1) Without prejudice to the following , small timers simply don't operate in a national delivery arena because of the extreme time involved and the invariable absence of sufficient shipping volume and the predicated profit killer triggered by the extreme risk of having nada to come back with and no revenue therein.

(2) Key questions:

-- Is the shipper bonded ?
-- Is the shipper properly insured?
-- Is the shipper properly equipped even to properly pack it up and physically handle it. For example as a proxy , there are high reasons why "ordinary" movers are not trusted to move a baby grand piano with a guarantee of pristine delivery .
-- Is the shipper properly reviewed including not triggering a a quick bypass of (1) by becoming just a another order taker who actually subs out the shipment to another lowballing and high risk unknown third party ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 am 

FRAUDBUSTER wrote:

This has come up before and the answer is commercial freight. I have successfully used Manitoulin to ship two very large speakers from North Bay ON to Winnipeg. That was with an oversized pallet and a total weight of about 300 pounds. That was from our warehouse at work to a commercial destination - meaning they have a fork lift to unload. The cost was about $240. You have the advantage with a palleted load of better protection and knowing they won't pile stuff on top of it.

The key to any commercial shipment, however, is that you need to avoid using a residential address. I recently shipped a load of a bit over 100 pounds on a 48 x 48" pallet from North Bay to Toronto at a total cost of $48. That was to a commercial address, a friend of the recipient. The original quote to his house was another $150 because of the aggravation and having to deliver using a truck with a lift gate.

If you can't ship to a commercial address, you can always pick up from the closest truck depot. Get estimates. People will want to know the size and weight. If you use a pallet, sticking with a standard size such as 48 x 48" keeps costs down. A lot of truck depots will sell you a pallet (or give you one) and will help you strap it and wrap it for a minimal cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Are you looking to ship regularly (ie daily) or once a week, or once a blue moon. It makes a big $$$ difference. Fedex Freight have been remarkably low for my business and have been quite reliable. UPS are the worst. DHL have been pretty good. After 20 years shipping all over Canada I use postal for smalls and Fedex Ground for most else. For big, heavy things like engines, transmissions etc I use Fedex Freight. I have shipped to Dubai through them.

Time to start shopping around. Cheapest will NEVER be best. Beware low-price couriers. Investigate insurance rates (very expensive). Be sure and insure both speakers individually and (if they must be matched pairs) DOUBLE that insured price...that way if one speaker cabinet is destroyed, the whole set will be replaced......Insurance is often more expensive than the cost of shipping....be sure and compare rates.

Once in awhile. A local transporter first agreed to deliver my items i purchased while ago for a great price thats why i bought them in first place and now that they backed out, im in a bind because. Nervous and Frustrated as these cost me and not sure who i can trust.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 am 

ae86 wrote:
Yes same site in the show Shipping Wars.

https://www.uship.com/ca/

+1

I used uship to find a carrier to ship a 130 pound amp across the country. Great price and service, and would use again. Many smaller carriers have some dead space so use uship to fill the space and cover costs.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.