Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Audio Technica ART9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 am 

After going through all the ART9 posts on numerous forums, I finally went ahead and ordered one. Its going to replace my Denon DL-301mk2. I was thinking of getting a Lyra Delos. But this cart seems to good to pass up.
Cheers, Doug

Post subject: Re: Audio Technica ART9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am 

Where did you order it from? What TT and other equip. using it with?

I considered this cart. a few years ago, but either it was too much $ for me at the time or didn't mate well with my tonearm - can't remember which, maybe it was both!

I settled for a AT33PTG/II, which I still haven't mounted yet because I am still enjoying an AT440MLa very very much!

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am 

I ordered it from 2juki. My turntable is a Quest plinth in Nightfire Red finish,Rega 24v motor,GT Delrin platter/Sub-platter, Audiomods Classic. The rest is a Denon DL-301 mk2,Budgie 1254 SUT, Gold Note PH-1 phono pre, Bryston 4bst/ARC SP9 pre/Golden Ear Triton Two's Paradigm PW2100 sub.
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 pm 

The ART9 gets great reviews. Please post your impressions after you’ve had a listen. I like the AT sound and went from a AT-150mlx to a AT-33ptg/2 on my Project Xtension10. Both were very good to my ear but I would like to try one of the ART cartridges someday. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm 

Thanks David P. I can hardly wait!
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 pm 

You will not be disappointed. I have one on my modded lenco l75. Best cartridge I ever heard it beat all of the following in my system: grace f9 ruby, london decca gold, zyx r100 yatra, dynavector 17d2mk2, shelter 501mkii, dynavector karat23rs, audio technica oc9mkiii, and others I cant think of right now. Highly underrated gem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 pm 

fmelindy wrote:
You will not be disappointed. I have one on my modded lenco l75. Best cartridge I ever heard it beat all of the following in my system: grace f9 ruby, london decca gold, zyx r100 yatra, dynavector 17d2mk2, shelter 501mkii, dynavector karat23rs, audio technica oc9mkiii, and others I cant think of right now. Highly underrated gem.

Very curious about this cartridge...what are the main differences to the AT OC9/III?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

Will this be a good match with some older low mass arm like SME Series III or Magnapan?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 pm 

I think so. It almost the same specs/diameters as my Denon DL-301. Its going on my Audiomods arm. Only much higher performance! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm 

fifthbusiness wrote:
fmelindy wrote:

Very curious about this cartridge...what are the main differences to the AT OC9/III?

Forgot to add B&O MMC1, denon 103, 103r, 103d, 304, 301 mkii to the list above. The ART9 has all the good qualities of the OC9 -detail, transparency, dynamics- with a smoother top end and better bass. Its basic quality is like the OC9 but just better in every way.

I wouldn't think this cartridge would match very well with light arms. It's a heavy cartridge with, from what I understand, relatively low compliance for use with a light arm like those.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:50 pm 

What Fred said. If you have one table,one arm and a budget of $1000.00 CDN this cartridge is gold. Excellent bass, doesn't muck up the mid as many others do, high end is clear, focused never disappointing. An amazing value probably all you need. Difficult to better under 2k. Can you do better? Sure but nowhere near this dough. If you have the analog disease and multiple arms, tables and stages you can pick certain types of music that sound better with certain combinations but that just means you have a problem.. Better to just buy the Art9 and take your kids to the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:04 am 

Well I got 6hrs on this cart so far. It has very similar dimensions to the Dl-301 so instalation was a snap. Oh, I stuck a little dab of blue tack on the nuts and stuck in place on the cart so screwing the screws from the top was a breeze! Oh man, the magnet on this thing could pick up nails from a roofing job! Anyways the first thing I noticed was the soundstage; how huge it is! And the soundstage on the DL-301 is no slouch. The ART9 has better highs, detail and bass than the DL-301. But then again its in a different snack bracket! And everybody kept asking me how much better can it get? It was hard to imagine cause the Denon is a great cart for the price. I just wanted a cart to end my quest for a great table/cart combo; to retire with. I read that it takes up to 100hrs to fully break-in. Oh, the first thing that I noticed when I played a old Nancy Sinatra record was the BLAT from the horns! Just great! 8)
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 am 

My Art9 is breaking nicely. Got about 13 hrs on it. Had some guys over last night and when I played a older regular pressing of Valdy, one of the guys told me that he has heard him live several times; 5 rows away at one time, and this playback was better! And this cart is still breaking in!
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm 

It’s great that you are enjoying your new ART-9 Doug.My understanding is that it will continue to improve over the next 50 hours or so. What settings are you using on your phonostage ( assuming it has flexible settings)?
Happy listening!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm 

I have it hooked up to a Parks Budgie 1254 Cinemag SUT, 1:20 gain, 140 ohms into my Blue Note PH-1 MM mode phono pre. Impact SE RCA to RCA Phono Cable makes the connection. ARC SP9 pre to my Bryston 4bst. Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 Bugle Boy tubes in preamp.
Cheers, Doug