Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:07 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I realize this is a big and bold statement but this product truly blew us away!

So if any of you are heavily involved in the pro end of the business you may be familiar with SPL. Its still possible you haven't heard of them even if you are in the pro biz as its a fairly unique company based out of Germany. Regardless it really doesn't matter because the sound and experience we had with it was completely unexpected.

Two SPL units were dropped off at our store to have a listen to and as I just mentioned we weren't expecting much. Products come and go all the time and its usually the same old thing, perhaps there are slight differences here and there but rare for something to make your eyes and ears open up with excitement.

We unboxed the product and thought it was kinda cool looking but definitely not your conventional looking product since its size is probably about 11 inches wide by 14 inches deep. The amp for its size weighs a ton but even though it seemed to be built really well I was still not overly excited to listen to it.

We eventually hooked up the preamp and amp to a pair of speakers and turned it on. We've had McIntosh, Bryston, Pass, Krell, and many other amps come through the store but I can honestly say that for the first in my life I was totally taken back with its sound. I've never heard anything like it, especially for its size. Its silky smooth (with detail) as if it was an ultra high end tube amplifier but with a lot of balls and effortless control. It also has amazing balance from top to bottom. To be honest I can't really describe the sound completely, especially when I have limited characters here. All I can say is if you are in the market for a preamp, headphone amp, or amplifier then you'd be doing yourself an injustice by not giving this product a listen to!

Come check it out, even if its just for curiosity sake.... We are certain you'll be surprised!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm 

An eye catching title.....

But the products are not identified?

Is it the Director Pre and the Performer s800 that are being referred to?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:11 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Its the Phonitor X and S800. They only have a few models....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 pm 

I saw the ads for this product line - is there an integrated?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:10 am 
Premium User

Really better than Simaudio Moon etc?

What Price Range are we talking?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:11 am 

Unfortunately they do not have an integrated piece

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 am 

It appears intriguing but I'm curious if these still sound excellent on their own - say the amp with any other decent preamp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Yes I was thinking the same thing! The amplifier has an input level which almost acts as an impedance switch to match the output of other products. I tested it out with a Belles preamp and also a Linn and seemed to do what it was meant for.. In terms of it keeping its tonal characteristic when matching up with different brands I'd say it did but to be honest its hard to say 100%. You never really know, all you can do is listen to see if you like the combo or not but i think its interesting that they've actually implemented something like that so that it can potentially play better with other brands.

Haven't matched up the Preamp with another brand as of yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:52 pm 

What are the MSRP on the amp and Pre amp? The power sounds like in the right range for my Dynaudios.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Wow I don't know what happened! I actually posted pricing and answered Kawihornet's question with regards to comparing it to Sim but its not here any longer.... not sure how that happens..

Anyway I'll try again.

The amp is roughly 5K and the pre is around 3500. I could be off a little on the Preamp but I'pretty sure its around there. So its not inexpensive but its not over the top either.

Regarding the Simaudio comparison. I do prefer the SPL as I find it more musical and has good rhythm to it. I seem to listen to the actual music with the SPL whereas when I listen to the Sim I feel like I'm listening to the "sound". Hopefully that makes sense?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Sim and feel its a good product. The Sim also offers more features and flexibility over the SPL but when it comes down to raw sound quality I much prefer the SPL. Plus the fact that the looks have a bit of a cool factor to it which is a bonus for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:42 pm 

Does it come with a Caps Lock key? We should all have one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 pm 

I am waiting for their analog crossover......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

Hifi coming from Germany usually means big $.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 pm 

Click bait title... Damnit it even good me too