Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

For members to post information and discuss events for local hifi related clubs and events.

Please only post non-profit, community oriented clubs and events here. Any events or clubs which require fees of any sort, or organized by a for-profit entity should stick to the Dealers forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 am 

Desperate times call for desperate measures....???

I guess this may be in direct response to the Toronto Audio Fest...which happens to take place a week later...

http://www.torontoaudiofest.org/

Happy Listening,

Francis R. :D

NEWS RELEASE: FREE Admission at TAVES 2018!

May 23, 2018: This October 12 to 14, the TAVES Consumer Electronics Show will offer FREE admission and bring together over 150 exhibitors from around the globe and offer a richer experience for audiophiles and casual music lovers alike.

Fans of live music will be entertained with various live performances at the show, ranging from jazz to blues and acoustic rock. For the first time ever, TAVES will also feature live performances that are recorded at the show and then played back through a high-end audio system. If you’ve ever wanted to compare live music to playback on a high-end system, this is your chance.

If you enjoying spinning vinyl, then you’ll love our massive Vinyl Marketplace where you can pick up new releases, audiophile records, older goodies and rare collectible records. Many analog accessories and upgrades will also be on sale. This year’s show is set to offer dramatically more vinyl and accessory dealers than ever before. TAVES will even offer a record cleaning service, so bring a few of your dirty favorites!

In the mood to expand your knowledge about high-end audio? This year’s show will offer a series of captivating audio seminars from top industry experts as well as a “Meet the Maker” series of talks from high profile individuals from the industry. Get to know some of the people behind the products and learn what makes them tick!

Portable music fans will enjoy a great selection of headphones, portable music players and accessories in the Headphone section of the show.

This fall, the Hi-Fi Audition Room on the main show floor will also receive upgrades which include an increased room size (15.5′ x 23.5′), ventilation and a visual improvement from the outside.

With a considerable portion of the audio rooms already sold out, this year’s TAVES promises to deliver many new, first-time audio exhibitors and never before seen products.

The TAVES Consumer Electronics Show runs from Friday, October 12 to Sunday, October 14, 2018 at The International Centre on the border of Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton, Ontario. This year’s show expects to attract over 7,000 attendees. For more info, please check out http://www.taveshow.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm 

Still not interested,I will be attending the show a week later tho.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 pm 

Registered...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 pm 
Premium User

Great venue for the show. I’ve attended many professional conference and trade shows there. Can’t wait for the show flyer to see who’s displaying gear.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:09 pm 

Seems like still be a tents city with no ceiling for majority of the exhibitors. Don't know what do they mean by ventilation. May be just fan and not air conditioner. Now the electricity will be worse and fight with the fan noise.

Not going to waste time there even thou it is free admission.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 pm 

I had free admission last year..... walked in.... nobody asked me for money.... bought some nice vinyl.... drooled over the Focal speakers and Bryston display.... walked out....

Stevo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:40 am 
Premium User

Now they know what the show is worth... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm 

For the most part, I was able to take my son to one of the robotic workshops for an hour while I went walking around.

Bought some vinyl, listened to some really nice rigs, and we both ended up leaving happy. :)

:mrgreen:

I'll head on down again.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 pm 

For all the criticism the TAVES people have received I thank them for stepping up and putting on a show when no one else would in Toronto.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 am 

We should thank the manufacturers and dealers who are the ones who foot the bill and now you get to go to two shows for free. I'm sure they have little say in where they are held and have to move a ton of stuff so that we can complain about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 am 

I will go..... TAVES deserves another chance.... and I will go to Audiofest a week later....

Stevo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:44 am 

lzp1 wrote:
For all the criticism the TAVES people have received I thank them for stepping up and putting on a show when no one else would in Toronto.

Yes, I get it...and I am sure that there are many reasons why no one else has stepped up.....

But why put on a show where the presentations are greatly impacted by makeshift rooms - in this case, very negatively.

It is apparent that the quality of the presentations is not a factor for TAVES, otherwise this show would be held in a much more appropriate setting. In turn, I feel that this would attract a greater number of the more serious exhibitors.

The other factor is that the organizers keep on stating that the show is bigger than ever. I wonder where they are getting their data from because exhibitor attendance is way down.

On a brighter note, its great to hang out with friends have a coffee and hopefully find some nice vinyl gems...

I wish TAVES well but I can't see this type of show continuing on in this manner.

I look forward to the Toronto Audio Fest.

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:42 am 
Premium User

lzp1 wrote:

Agreed.

Without any disrespect to the general audio public, I think a few of you are being a little hard on the promoter and the event itself. As you know, the King Eddy was no longer available for TAVES show, not too mention that this hotel, as beautiful as it is and a nice location was a bit of a logistics nightmare for exhibitors and costs therefore, the event organizers had to select a venue that they felt would best serve the event in a more easily accessible location with lots of parking, air transit and hotel accommodations for international travellers, etc. I do believe that each and every show location, list of exhibitors, products and new and special events are always chosen with the best intentions in mind for a successful event, yet, it is often difficult to know exactly how this will play out until it is live and in progress. Yes, I will readily admit there was a few conflicts of public interest and such, yet I must also keep in mind the scope of planning and months of costs / efforts that go into these events each and every year, none of which the general public has direct knowledge of. Having said all this, I feel it might be best to encourage our promoters and organizers to take a cue from previous events in hopes that a better show emerges in the coming years. We should at least be proud that Toronto is host to an event like this and show our support as we do with many other events of special interest. Thanks for listening.....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 am 

The promoters take a huge risk in developing a show like this. I appreciate it - however.......

There are audio shows all over the world and this is not one of them. This is a trade mall exposition.

The expectation at an audio show is that you will have a room with limited seating in a "controlled environment" with an opportunity to listen under those conditions. Never ideal- but not in a tent either.

TAVES is not that. Everything sells at the right price. Looks like they have shifted the burden to the exhibitors - who really foot the bill anyway. They've found equilibrium in the worth of price of admission.

Maybe we will eventually get there. Otherwise , a 1 hour flight away visit Chicago's AXPONA- world class, very reasonable to get there and even though its in the suburbs of Chicago its a short ride away from great food, blues bars and sporting events in one of the most vibrant cities in North America. Even if you do AXPONA every other year it will far surpass anything TAVES has become year after year.

I wish the organizers of TAVES well. The exhibitors will now have to make a decision- any show is tons of work and lots of money with essentially a marketing exercise with very little hope of sales as a result of the show. One of these shows will win the other will loose- or worse- both will be unsuccessful because of the split.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:45 am 

For all the criticisms, it's hard for me to forget that not so long ago Toronto didn't have any kind of AV electronics show...with or without high-end audio.

It's no wonder. Toronto is a tough market...as witnessed by the many disparaging comments above.