Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:52 am 

Hi there!
I have a Rega P5 TT that I had bought second hand, and am trying to find out how old it is. I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me if I can use the serial number to get a ball park, or is there an easier way that I don't know about?
Cheers, and thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am 

not sure about tracing by serial number? if you contact Rega they could probably tell you.

i too own a second hand P5. From what i know they were introduced in 2002, and were made for at least a couple years.
i recall an article i read said they were introduced in North America in 2004.
but i think they were discontinued by the time the RP6 came around in 2011. probably earlier?

love the RB700 tonearm.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm 

Johnny99 wrote:
not sure about tracing by serial number? if you contact Rega they could probably tell you.

i too own a second hand P5. From what i know they were introduced in 2002, and were made for at least a couple years.
i recall an article i read said they were introduced in North America in 2004.
but i think they were discontinued by the time the RP6 came around in 2011. probably earlier?

love the RB700 tonearm.

I'd read elsewhere someone was tracing a Rega product by serial # , and some of the replies narrowed things done, roughly, by first using the 3 digits.
Johnny99, your giving me an idea at least of it's age., cheers. Love that RB700 as well!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 am 

Customer service is most likely your best option. They probably get the request often and might have it close at hand.

There's a Linn enthusiast website that has a good listing of years by serial # range for LP12s but not as likely there's something similar for Rega.

Dynavector just confirmed the age/authenticity of the serial # for lightly used cartridge I just purchased: shipped to the Canadian distributor from Japan in November 2017.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Customer service is most likely your best option. They probably get the request often and might have it close at hand.

There's a Linn enthusiast website that has a good listing of years by serial # range for LP12s but not as likely there's something similar for Rega.

Dynavector just confirmed the age/authenticity of the serial # for lightly used cartridge I just purchased: shipped to the Canadian distributor from Japan in November 2017.

I did end up contacting the Canadian Rega rep out in Montreal, and, problem solved!
Here is his response...

“If you remove the motor cover tray, you’ll see a four digit number on the motor. That indicates the week/year when the motor was built. The turntable would have been built within a small window of that date. That should at least give you an idea.”