Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm 

For me it’s 5.

My quad esl57 and 63. The 57 for its unrivalled mids and the 63 because it’s amazing and was the first time I heard speakers that made me realize there was something extremely good out there that needed to be pursued.

My mains

My seconds

And finally a good 2-way has to be around at all times for a change.

Anyone able to make do with 1? If so what is it?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm 

I have one pair per system and another in the ads as I have replaced them.
PMC 25.23 in main system but may be changing them out for Fact 8's; its complicated.
Audio Physic Compacts for the second system. Found my first pair of AP's to be such a good speaker that I jumped on another when they came up as the aesthetics were perfect for the room.
I don't keep gear once I've made a change. It goes to the ads replenish the audio account for future use.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 pm 
Premium User

I'll be sticking with them for the foreseeable future as they are my favorite representations at the price point I've heard and summer/travel time is here. The rest has been cleared out.

Mains - Custom Eton and Seas speakers that provide a full picture top to bottom
Secondary - Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE. For me they just dethroned Proac D18's for most enjoyable small floorstanding speaker around $5k. Downright addictive on Pass Labs gear.
Standmount - Chario Academy Sonnet. There is just something about them I can't put in to catchy audiophile terminology.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 pm 

One lonely pair of Vandersteen 2ci's.
I'm quite happy and satisfied with them and have been for 8 months.
They have amazing imaging and a three dimensionality that fills my room.
Not looking at replacing them.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 pm 

I'm happy with two pair. My mains being vintage (well, 1979) B&W DM5 stand mount two way, and a pair of 1970 H.H. Scott ST-17. Very fun speakers to listen to once in awhile, very cool retro sound to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 am 

3 listening systems in different areas, so 3 pairs. I’m not a believer in “collecting” and having 4 sets of speakers in the main rig.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 am 

What the heck is “cool retro sound” ? I always thought a speakers goal was to reproduce sound as accurately as the live event .

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:04 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
3 listening systems in different areas, so 3 pairs. I’m not a believer in “collecting” and having 4 sets of speakers in the main rig.

Yup...4 different rooms/systems (HT 9.2, living room 2.1, den 2.0, and deck 2.0), 4 different speakers/components = 4 different systems/sounds...all enjoyable. WHY? Each system was built to meet a different need..

Full range realistic reproduction large living room system using media center with remote and digital files for easy chair listening

Den system with nice bookshelfs and turntable for quiet near field LP listening

Deck system with bookshelfs and good tuner for sitting outside with CBC2 or classical CD's

HT system with massive fronts/subs and lots of omnipolar surrounds for movies and concert videos

Has anyone built a single system to meet all their needs? I'm thinking what if i have to downsize in future?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 am 

James_W wrote:

I'll be sticking with them for the foreseeable future as they are my favorite representations at the price point I've heard and summer/travel time is here. The rest has been cleared out.

Secondary - Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE. For me they just dethroned Proac D18's for most enjoyable small floorstanding speaker around $5k. Downright addictive on Pass Labs gear.
Standmount - Chario Academy Sonnet. There is just something about them I can't put in to catchy audiophile terminology.

I thought I was done as well but then you go ahead and list three more speakers I want to hear.

-- 21 May 2018 14:28 --

gnickers wrote:
spinaker01 wrote:

Yup...4 different rooms/systems (HT 9.2, living room 2.1, den 2.0, and deck 2.0), 4 different speakers/components = 4 different systems/sounds...all enjoyable. WHY? Each system was built to meet a different need..

I agree as well, collecting is not the goal. I have a similar approach for my selection. Each one is presenting music in a unique way.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 am 

malthuse wrote:
James_W wrote:

I thought I was done as well but then you go ahead and list three more speakers I want to hear.

-- 21 May 2018 14:28 --

gnickers wrote:
spinaker01 wrote:

I agree as well, collecting is not the goal. I have a similar approach for my selection. Each one is presenting music in a unique way.

Fugget about it!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am 

Massive DIY 4way active system with 9 subs, DIY omni 4way active system with 6 subs, 2 channel system (Clements reference RT-7's) no subs. HT with no subs. OTL based all tube system with the Delta 15's.

I do however have 10 pairs under the stairs including a second pair of RT-7's. I have around 80 drivers in boxes for projects and multiple spares for all my current builds.

My wife loves to garden and she calls my systems my gardens. She lets me do absolutely anything I want. :D 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am 

So lets see,how many speakers do I need?..Good Question..hmmm,well 1 pair,which I occasionally cycle into system,a set of 2-way set of prototype Tranquility(Wave core drivers) CNC cut/stack wall cabs,real rock solid stand mounts,they're Son's,I don't really need them,but I really like them a lot too,so must add,hee,hee,I have another complete set of cabs,drivers,etc,so another retirement project,however not counted as they are not yet complete,ha,ha....hey every guy has to have a hobby & I'm not into hookers-n-blow.

2nd pair,outside Pond Patio Peavey(beater)3-way horn speakers,I do need Super enjoy them Seasonally,c/w Sunshine & occasional overdone refreshments,so these will stay till they either quit or we leave this house.1 count,needed(for Summer)

3rd pr., EP 4.7 Mains,would wither and die with out these,Keepers,till death do us part.2 count,needed

4th pr.,My current 'Rave',as I close in on retirement,& more than occasionally reflect fondly my 1st set of speakers,yeah,I can remember some of those days,sort of,lol,my 'Rock Steady' 3-way JBL(West Coast Sound),they took a sh-t-kicking,many moves,etc.and still kept on Rocking,always sounding like brand new,playing continuous days on end,boy oh boy so much youth wasted on Listening to Vinyl,mixed with occasional,seasonal homegrown,ha,ha,so this buy,gives a nostalgic,coming of age/needed retirement connection,(if that makes sense to anybody but me?)......you see,I decided I wanted a 'Connector Back into(my) Time',however,as we all know(?)speaker development has made Huge Strides!,since 1967,so,as expected my JBL's are long gone,no tears,because I'll tell ya Boys-n-Girls those were the "Best of Times",and I like to think I'm a tad wiser(?),so no reason to revisit,(for me)but still remaining was a nagging strong desire to put 'a New twist on an Old design',and as 'Luck' would have it,I chanced upon some New/Old School,recently constructed 3-way d.i.y c/w 10 in Peerless woofers/6 in Scanspeak mids/Wavecore Waveguide tweets,film and oil caps in all the right places.These are still burning in & Surprising me daily!

Picture this,Phase coherent,time aligned,1st order crossover,(like Vanderseen)drivers situated mirror image,also inverted,so woofer is on top,giving a very striking visual & sonic image when first come upon,as they weight lifter style squat on spikes above sand filled B-Birch stands c/w solid,sealed rounded edge cabs,1 3/8 in thick walled Baltic Birch,not surprisingly they're growing on me every listen,can you say Tight Tunefull butt-kick bass,solid bass line grooves,they're still burning in!...I suspect they'll become my Fall(retirement) Vinyl Buddies...So,a Kenny version of 70's Retro-Cool,quickly becoming my current go-to,and causing quite a stir with my buddy,but he's not getting them,lol..Keppers,Yupp,so were up to 3 count,needed to retain my youth,I miss playing my Tama Superstar Birch!

EP,4.3 with diy baffle boards in construction,not counted,likely sell this pair?

EP KC II,clones,kinda,as they will be a never produced prototype,and they will use bigger 10 in Coax Mid/high ,++Dual 12.in woofs,all heavy cast frame,high power paper cone drivers,really REALLY looking forward to completing/hearing this pair so count them as 4 count,yupp needed,must have something to look forward to!

So as this is a 'Hobby' to me, its such a Joy to Share/Experiment,so as to find the right taste,for the right Source/Season,& as time goes on,I'll forcefully negotiate myself to Down size,but right now its not even on the Radar.

EP Concert Kenny,currently playing Roger Hodgson,In the Eye of the Storm

Tonight's concert SUPERTRAMP,Live in Paris!....boys/concert freaks,must add here this dvd is so good,I'm watching it again,these Musicians were so at the Pinnacle of their game,its Absolutely Incredible to watch/Listen,some of these songs are so very complicated,but they make it look so easy,Unbelievable,as they rarely if ever look to one another for cues,they're ALL so Tight from a 9 month tour,and a Musical Extravaganza that was planned for 5 years.This,for certain Absolutely has to be one of the best concerts of all time,in my opinion,a standard to adhere too,if nothing except for Sheer Joy,You ARE THERE with this one!

I've watched hundreds,and this will be a reference of sorts to display my EP's,Awesomely Dynamic,power driven,from bottom octaves to top.
The Sound/Music is STUNNING,to watch and Listen too,Absolute Musical Confidence by ALL present,which,I must add/ include an 8000 strong audience,Deep in the Groove,my god,every Song is so Good,how often does that happen,anymore,at all,anybody?....the picture is to be expected,& accepted (1979),must explain,the old tapes were finally found,residing in the Drummers Barn,and by what I'll truly describe as an Labor of Love,painstakingly res-erected by the original sound man,& co-producer,honestly these guys should be given some sort of an award for this?....They used several mics placed right in the audience,giving an amazing sound reproduction.WOW,this came off exceptionally perfect!

Unfortunately/Fortunately all songs are not on the concert but still are provided as Bonus material,like Music video's,because
there was no enough 16mm film to be found on short notice in Paris,to film those 5 songs,also due to time & financial restraints.I'm blown away,they actually had the foresight to film it.
No worries,a Sold out 8000 capacity crowd,saw,in my opinion(very likely theirs too!),the Best Concert of their Lives in Paris that December.
I'm 100% STOKED because I've waited so long to finally find this concert,& Eagle Vision came through in spades.Personally wouldn't waste money on pursuing the Blue ray,version as the picture/lighting is acceptable,but its the honest purity of the Music and Musicians that Drives,this like a run a way Avalanche, & Always Will for this Music(Super-tramp) fan.
Cheers,Keep on Rocking in the Free World,Happy Spring!

Last edited by Kenny on Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:00 am 

Need? None. Want? Whole different question. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:08 am 

I chose the word need deliberately. I literally need all five. However if armegeddon comes and I can only listen to music off a generator run from siphoning gas from cars in the neighbourhood then it will be my quad esl57s that I will listen to.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:16 am 

As I chose the word want deliberately as a sound system is not a need. However I want the eight pairs I currently have in use. But if I had to limit myself to one pair from my current selection it would be the ATCSCM40's hands down.