Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm 

I ooened an earlier thread about which Yamaha model to choose, KX-400 or the newer KX-430? Iam now leaning towards the KX-430. I've opened up my possibilities now to KX-38x or KX-39x models because of the playback trim (bias) adjust that the 300 series offers. The 430 offers better wow and flutter specs, lower harmonic distortion but it has no playback trim adjust and its auto reversing. Opinions?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm 

debertin wrote:
I ooened an earlier thread about which Yamaha model to choose, KX-400 or the newer KX-430? Iam now leaning towards the KX-430. I've opened up my possibilities now to KX-38x or KX-39x models because of the playback trim (bias) adjust that the 300 series offers. The 430 offers better wow and flutter specs, lower harmonic distortion but it has no playback trim adjust and its auto reversing. Opinions?

I would go with better Wow & Flutter specs for myself.
As far as I've read (and I may have it copied somewhere) about PlayTrim, is that it Only applies to tapes that were recorded with Dolby.
It's kind of a High Frequency Control to help replace Highs that might have been lost because of possible Dolby mismatch between the machine that recorded the tape, and the machine now playing it back.
Counter Clockwise to add Highs and clockwise to lower them.
You could download the Manuals and read for yourself.
Ott.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 pm 

As with any cassette machines that you're considering of buying I'd agree with the other poster always look out for better specs in wow and flutter and secondly if you can afford it 3 headers is always better than the 2 header ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm 

This is going back decades but on my yammy the trim also came in handy when the tape was recorded on another machine.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 pm 

I snagged a Yamaha KX-630 for a good price (depending if the seller is honest about it working well) which has excellent W&F specs as well as playback trim.