Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:14 am 

Hi i desided to bulid 9.4.2 H T system. Now i only have 5.1 setup but looking to expend. The problem is I'm still new at this.I got the receiver,speakers /subs. I'm looking for amp. I decided to go with Emotiva.I just don't know which one is best for my setup? 3ch, 5ch or 7ch or should i power all 9.4.2 speakers and get 2 amps? Any suggestion will be much appreciated
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:10 am 

Hi
The best amps made by Emotiva are their reference XPR line .The XPR-1 monoblocks ,the XPR-2 and XPR-5. Unfortunately they have been discontinued (largely because of cost to manufacture vs profits made and also shipping costs due to weight)
If you can find the XPR-5 ,that was specifically made for home theater use,that would be a solid amp to build your set up.
George

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 am 

Hi Robert,
I would stick with stereo amplifiers if I were you. Heat is the #1 killer of amplifiers and having too many channels in a space concentrates all the heat. 5 channel amplifiers tend to have heat sinks that are too small, as well as small power transformers. You need to keep the temperatures down. That also means that you need 5" ~ 8" clear air space above a hard working amplifier with a shelf so that the upper devices get cool airflow instead of pre-heated air from an amplifier.

Common sense will always point the way to the truth. Any reason why you are so stuck on Emotiva? I don't know anything about them, so I'm not knocking your choice at all. I'm just curious as to why you are so fixed on the brand.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 am 

Hi Chris
Im not stuck on Emotiva.I watched some youtube videos seemed to me like its the brand to go with. But if you have any other brand suggestions, feel free to share your opinion.THX

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 am 

I think it would depend on what was easily available and price. Of course, reliability should rank really high. The better known brands will probably be a lot less hassle when you need service. Remember that you will need service out of warranty and that service information would be extremely important.

If the brand isn't well established, get the service manual or schematics with the amplifier new. If you can't, don't buy it. You'll have an orphan otherwise. There are no secrets in amplifier design, so don't accept that argument.

Some of the dealers might be able to help with brand names and pricing. I just know what is a problem from the dead things I see. For example, I wouldn't recommend Harmon Kardon (run things hot) or Sony (class "D" and overpriced with poor support). If you can afford a new Bryston (old ones don't cut it) or something along that line, that would be the best. If Adcom is still in business, that would be an option. Good support and solid products, but I don't know all the current brands.

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 am 

I would definitely JUST get a 3 channel amp for the front L/C/R and not bother with the rest. Let your receiver do that...since the other speakers are for effects only really. Unless....you are getting a Pre/Pro only then of course you'll need amplifiers for all channels. A decent receiver will take care of all your needs for the surround/atmos speakers. The main front soundstage is where you want your power and where most of the sound comes from. Just my $0.02 so I'd look at an XPA3 from Emotiva if you are going that route.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am 

What speakers do you have? If they are efficient I would consider getting one of the better Yamaha or Marantz receivers to drive them all. There are too many cables involved with a HT setup already - an extra amp will just add to the mess. Also consider that each amp will sound different. Chances are you'll notice if the main channels are driven by different amps.
As for Emotiva, many like to believe that because you buy direct (skipping the retailer) you are getting more bang for your buck. I am skeptical that that is (ever) the case.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am 

Monoprice monolith amps have become very popular with the home theater crowd lately. They are available in 2,3,5 and 7 channels variations, I believe they are rated at 250 watts/channel but don't quote me on that. They are made by ATI, a well regarded manufacturer.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 am 

Different speakers will change the sound more than different amplifiers. Once you get into quality amplifiers the sound between them isn't that different. This is not true for the cheaper amplifiers, or the design challenged most often seen in "high end" audio.

If you're looking at a multichannel amplifier, take a moment to consider how much heat you are generating in a given space. We now have 5 and 7 channel amplifiers that take up the same space as an old stereo amplifier. Where does all that heat go? In the same volume of air to cool the amps. That can only mean that the heatsink area per amp is lower, and that the entire heat sink runs hotter. I'll say hotter in this case because they do run hotter than a stereo amp does. A three channel amp may be similar to a two channel amp as long as it was designed properly.

So it's up to you fine folk out there. If you run things hotter then you will be seeing either someone like me sooner, or the stereo store to replace it. Your choice.

About used equipment. I just opened a Sansui receiver that someone had for a little while after buying it. I discovered that it had a blown channel repaired by a "cowboy". Incorrect output transistors (not rated high enough) and components soldered on both sides of the board to make it work. The customer is now stuck with doing a correct repair after an idiot slapped the receiver together to make a sale, or it was a normal repair made by a hack. Didn't even use new mica insulators or clean the old ones.

Don't let this happen to you. If you buy something used, take it to a good tech before you connect it at home. I have seen amplifiers and receivers that blew speakers right away because they had "gone DC". Sold as working fine. One person even bought some equipment that was hooked up and "working". All three components had major failures and he didn't bring them in soon enough. These were even McIntosh units, something you would expect to work. They are his now, and one had to be scrapped, so bad were the problems.

-Chris

-- 15 May 2018 13:05 --

Different speakers will change the sound more than different amplifiers. Once you get into quality amplifiers the sound between them isn't that different. This is not true for the cheaper amplifiers, or the design challenged most often seen in "high end" audio.

If you're looking at a multichannel amplifier, take a moment to consider how much heat you are generating in a given space. We now have 5 and 7 channel amplifiers that take up the same space as an old stereo amplifier. Where does all that heat go? In the same volume of air to cool the amps. That can only mean that the heatsink area per amp is lower, and that the entire heat sink runs hotter. I'll say hotter in this case because they do run hotter than a stereo amp does. A three channel amp may be similar to a two channel amp as long as it was designed properly.

So it's up to you fine folk out there. If you run things hotter then you will be seeing either someone like me sooner, or the stereo store to replace it. Your choice.

About used equipment. I just opened a Sansui receiver that someone had for a little while after buying it. I discovered that it had a blown channel repaired by a "cowboy". Incorrect output transistors (not rated high enough) and components soldered on both sides of the board to make it work. The customer is now stuck with doing a correct repair after an idiot slapped the receiver together to make a sale, or it was a normal repair made by a hack. Didn't even use new mica insulators or clean the old ones.

Don't let this happen to you. If you buy something used, take it to a good tech before you connect it at home. I have seen amplifiers and receivers that blew speakers right away because they had "gone DC". Sold as working fine. One person even bought some equipment that was hooked up and "working". All three components had major failures and he didn't bring them in soon enough. These were even McIntosh units, something you would expect to work. They are his now, and one had to be scrapped, so bad were the problems.

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm 

robert100 wrote:
Hi Chris
Im not stuck on Emotiva.I watched some youtube videos seemed to me like its the brand to go with. But if you have any other brand suggestions, feel free to share your opinion.THX

Visit every specialty retailer in your area, and give your cash to the shop that earns your business.
Don't get hung up on labels. A properly set-up and configured system done by someone who know what they're doing is what you want.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm 

Just to let the <<<happy>>> people know and all the Emotiva crowd and the ones against the brand..............
PS Audio founder and well known in the industry Mr. Paul McGowan uses Emotiva multichannel amps in his home theater gig.
George

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm 

hollinger wrote:
Also consider that each amp will sound different. Chances are you'll notice if the main channels are driven by different amps.

I ran a 9.2 setup for years using multiple amps - an emotiva xpa-3 for the mains and a 6 channel rotel for the surrounds. Most of the sound is from the mains and subs, the surrounds are for effects only - there is no way you notice they sound 'different' because of the amps. And a benefit of this approach is the surround sound amp can be much lower powered than the main channels amp. I wish i had kept this setup instead of going to a monster HT receiver...

PS - and emotiva amp and pre's delivery good value for the dollar....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 am 

IMHO and this has been true for a VERY long time....an amplifier if made correctly should NEVER change the sound of your music/audio at all. It should be completely neutral and only reproduce what it's fed. More power will definitely improve sound as it will allow more headroom, no clipping, and your speakers not starving for power when it's needed. That being said, 90% of the time you are not using the available power from the amplifier....particularly for movies.

When listening to music you will most likely notice the headroom more and the more open sound stage (at least that's where I notice it most) IMHO there is no replacement when driving large floor standers for added raw power. I have owned many Emotiva, as well as McIntosh, Adcom, Parasound, Marantz monoblocks etc etc...and the largest difference I have ever noticed was when I doubled my available power output from say 100wpc to 320wpc (bridged monoblocks/bridge McIntosh MC7106's)

I am now rediscovering the incredible benefits of huge power reserves in both my home theater and music and that is now by way of running a Crown XLS 1500 (at about 400wpc @6ohms on my Onix Rocket RS760's) along with a CleanBox Pro rca-xlr to boost the output voltage from my Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver as a pre/pro. I also have an Emotiva UPA-7 x 125wpc running my other channels.

Depending on what speakers you have obviously, my suggestion is get as much power as you can to your L/C/R as this is your main soundstage. The other speakers in your surround are purely effects and hardly driven at all...so don't waste money on separate amps just for those. You can always add them later if you feel the need.

an Emotiva XPA-3 would do a great job....but so would just about any other quality built amplifier. As for heat.....I think this is worry over nothing. The heat sinks on most well built amplifiers are designed to deal with this. You will not drive your speakers anywhere near hard enough for long enough to get your amplifiers that hot. If you are there's another issue going on for sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 am 

There are a number of Anthem multi-channel amps for sale on this site ... I started with a 3-channel and am now using a MCA-50 and it’s a great piece, if you are not stuck on Emotiva. Made in Canada to boot.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 am 

Go with the Anthem, good price range, good value and great sound, stay away from Emotiva, I had a few, amps, CD player,etc...nothing but a fricking nightmare, ended up in verbal battle with the owner/head guy when they tried to lie about an amp.... it is a long story, so just take it that I would not trust them to give me water if I was dying of thirst...