Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Class A "Amp Camp" Kit
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 pm 

Hey all,

I stumbled on this interesting-looking DIY project recently, but it was sold out. Just got an email that it's available for pre-order (for this week only, I guess), and I thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone's interested. I don't know enough about electronics to really know whether it's the bees knees or not, but the kit is designed by Nelson Pass & it looks fairly simple and fun.

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/f ... 2933085218

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 pm 

I currently have the previous version of the amp in my system, and have 2 of the new ones under construction.

The uptake of the original was somewhat slow but accelerated and sold out quickly taking Mark by surprise. While the wait for the next batch (updated to v1.1) many positive comments stoked interest. The next batch sold out the same day it became available. At that point Jason srote code to allow for pre-orders.

This amp is a real performer and an absolute bargain. Don’t let the amps power rating scare you away… it must be a case of being really well behaved in recovery after clipping because they sound like they have way more power than their rating.

dave

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:25 am 

I have one built by the very skilled hands of Frank Wang and it sounds great.

Not a ton of power on paper but in real life with reasonably sensitive speakers, it can go quite loud. I use Blumenstein Orcas with the ACA.

If you are inclined to some DIY, I think this would be an excellent kit to try. Please note Frank has an ad up for the ACA board and kit. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649288616-pass-class-a-5w-amp-camp-diy-kit/

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am 

two2the8 wrote:
Hey all,

I stumbled on this interesting-looking DIY project recently, but it was sold out. Just got an email that it's available for pre-order (for this week only, I guess), and I thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone's interested. I don't know enough about electronics to really know whether it's the bees knees or not, but the kit is designed by Nelson Pass & it looks fairly simple and fun.

The cost of a case and heat sinks is quite expensive.
So that's good that they are included in this kit.
However, the kit doesn't have a power supply.
As CAM member Nakamichel has pointed out, the power supply is 1/2 the amp.

If you're going to spend all the effort on building an amp - I'd suggest the Aleph J.

The F4 is very good, but it only has current gain - so it needs a high voltage gain preamp.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am 

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/f ... 2933085218[/quote]
Uunderhill wrote:
Quote:
But this kit doesn't have a power supply.

Hi Uunderhill, just curious about this comment. If I click on the link it does appear to include a meanwell SMPS.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 am 

Demerara wrote:
If I click on the link it does appear to include a meanwell SMPS.
I saw the schematic.
I really think that amp deserves a much better PS than a noisy SMPS.
(SMPS are noisy on both AC and DC side...)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:18 am 

Nakamichel wrote:
I saw the schematic.
I really think that amp deserves a much better PS than a noisy SMPS.
(SMPS are noisy on both AC and DC side...)

Michel, I would not dispute that, I just wanted to point out the post seemed to suggest there was no power supply included.

I am curious what you would suggest for a proper power supply for the ACA, it might be something I want to try as I am currently using SMPS.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am 
Premium User

I built one , and have another kit to start soon. I am using the suggested ps. Both channels in one chassis. I would suggest you build it and listen to it with the suggested ps before deciding it needs a better power supply. If it was good enough for Nelson, its good enough for me.

The hardest part was drilling and tapping the holes in the heat sinks

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 am 

two2the8 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one....hope I don't get dinged on duties. :roll:

Should be a fun winter project. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am 

Demerara wrote:
Blumenstein Orcas

About 88 dB. The FE83 is hard pressed to do any real bass. I currently have the µFonkenSET with FF85wk in the system — they give up a couple dB to reach down to about 75 Hz. The regularr 90 dB Mar-Ken10pTT are sitting on the floor waiting for me to put them back.

dave

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am 

planet10 wrote:
Demerara wrote:
Blumenstein Orcas

About 88 dB. The FE83 is hard pressed to do any real bass. I currently have the µFonkenSET with FF85wk in the system — they give up a couple dB to reach down to about 75 Hz. The regularr 90 dB Mar-Ken10pTT are sitting on the floor waiting for me to put them back.

dave

I agree there is not much bass at all, I doubt I get much below 80Hz, but they produce a very clean and open sound that appeals to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 am 

Quote:
below 80Hz

That is probably optimistic. Keeping a reasonable alignment — Clarke really pushes it — 130-150 is more reasonable.

dave

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am 

Nice to hear from folks who have it... sounds like a capable little amp.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you, Ripblade. It's out of my budget at the moment, but I've been looking for small projects that will help me develop my DIY skills. This looks like a pretty good candidate... Maybe next year :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 am 

two2the8 wrote:
Nice to hear from folks who have it... sounds like a capable little amp.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you, Ripblade. It's out of my budget at the moment, but I've been looking for small projects that will help me develop my DIY skills. This looks like a pretty good candidate... Maybe next year :)
Will do. It should be pretty easy as the circuit is as basic as can be. The hard part according to what I've read is drilling/tapping the sinks for MOSFETs, but I've already got the tap set. The plus for me is that everything is included, which increases the chances that I may actually finish it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:03 am 

the way I understand it the sinks are already drilled and tapped?

http://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/Amp+Ca ... ld+Guide/2

decisions...order with front switch cutout or no?