Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am 

Hi,

Thinking of getting into the new for me sound formats, specifically Atmos

I have an Oppo 103D which I have set to down mix to 7.1 analogue outputs which go into the Parasound 7100 (non HDMI) processor and then on ward to a Butler Audio 5150 and for the two rear channels into a Denon POA 8300.

My understanding is that 7.1 outs from the Oppo are not affected by the Parasound, as 7.1 outs are just a pass through signal, am I correct on that front?

So if I am correct in the pass through handling, any Processor/AVR with the 7.1 outs will sound the same as any other one, because the signal is just passing through to the power amps.

Atmos is sent via HDMI, just a bunch of 1's and 0's. Would quality of Processor/AVR play into AV quality? I do not need any bells and whistles, like Network connection or streaming or anything like that.

All I would be looking for is Atmos

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 am 

To get real Atmos, you will have to run HDMI from a 4K bluray player to a HDMI processor that can do Atmos, you will also need 11 separate channels to power the Atmos, unless you have a Atmos mulitchannel receiver...and of course, 11 separate speakers and one or two subs.... the kicker is only 4K blurays have Atmos... regular blurays will not have real Atmos..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:01 pm 

The Parasound 7100 can apply analog bass management to the 7.1 input signals, but that can be disabled by setting all channels to Large. I believe that's the only processing done on those inputs. Distance setting and such is only done on the digital inputs.

But you'll getting rid of the Parasound, so that's moot.

The Atmos encoding is certainly 1's and 0's, however the receiver/processor will likely have some kind of room correction, the quality of which should be considered. The receiver/processor also converts the digital to analog which certainly plays into the audio quality. A processor (i.e. no amplifiers included) also tends to cost more than a receiver, so need to decide of you want to go that route, plus the cash to add the additional power amps (another four channels required) or just buy a receiver that has it all included.

To be honest, I'd recommend spending the money to produce a a good 5.1 system rather than dividing the money to get 11 squawky little speakers.

Its true that many of the new releases only provide Atmos on the 4K disk, but some regular Blu-ray titles have Atmos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:15 pm 

Great, so to take advantage of Atmos, I'll have to get:

4K Blu Ray player
4K AVR/Processor
4K Projector
4K TV
4 speakers for the ceiling

Hard pass, think I'll wait for 32K to roll around ;-((

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 pm 

bobnegi wrote:
Great, so to take advantage of Atmos, I'll have to get:

4K Blu Ray player
4K AVR/Processor
4K Projector
4K TV
4 speakers for the ceiling

Hard pass, think I'll wait for 32K to roll around ;-((

No, this is way over thinking things. Lots and lots of blurays have atmos or dtsx soundtracts and your oppo103d is more than up to the task (I have a 103). All you really need is an avr that can process 11 channels and has preouts. You can use the preouts to feed your amps to power your base layer 7 channels and use 4 of the avr's internal amps to power your 4 (or 2, but 4 is best) atmos channels.
I'm using a 9 channel pioneer elite receiver and 2 bryston amps. The brystons power my LCR and side surounds and the receiver powers the rears and 4 inceiling speakers. 1080p plasma TV and 1080p projector with a 100 inch screen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

Not for me with all this added gear...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-dolby-atmos-2942509

Regards
Ohms

www.LEOHL.ca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 pm 

The thing is, do you want to do it right, or mickey mouse the whole deal? 4k all the way, or forget it.... everything else is a hack job... you need good speakers, good amps, a receiver/processor that does ATMOS, receivers have relatively poor amps built in, (this is an audiophile web site isn't it??!!) so this is the only one to go cheap on, use the receiver strictly as your processor...a pure processor is huge coin...

Yes, you can get Atmos on regular bluray,(sorry about that statement) but that is old school, 4K is far better quality.... you can get 2-used 5 channel mulitamps for a really good price, than one mono amp for the center channel, that gives you 11, those multi amps can be had for $2000 plus mono... call it $3000 total for amps.

There are 3 or 4 really good 4K disc players, all below $500..... an older Atmos Anthem receiver as a processor only, less than $1000, speakers are a matter of choice.... just remember the ceiling 2 pair are effect channels as is the back wall.

If it says 1080p on it, be a snob and go 4K only... you will not be disappointed... the very best 4K have Dolby Vision, HDR and are OLED..... 65" will be fine for a small room, if you have a dedicated theater room than 75" 4K LED or more... prices are reasonable now...

Go big or go home!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:42 pm 

Tutone wrote:
To get real Atmos, you will have to run HDMI from a 4K bluray player to a HDMI processor that can do Atmos, you will also need 11 separate channels to power the Atmos, unless you have a Atmos mulitchannel receiver...and of course, 11 separate speakers and one or two subs.... the kicker is only 4K blurays have Atmos... regular blurays will not have real Atmos..

Hey Tutone, Dolby Atmos (DA) on regular Blu-ray is fine. To get decent results you can actually start with just 2 extra speakers for a 5.1.2 setup. The speakers either in ceiling (best results) or up-firing drivers (place on front towers). I have a pair of PSB XA Dolby Atmos speakers. They do a decent job as long you calibrate your multichannel receiver with ceiling hight details. I watched Blade Runner 2049 recently and DA was amazing.

[img]
Attachment:
Unknown.jpeg
[/img]

Attachments:
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg [ 8.96 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:58 pm 

bobnegi wrote:
Hi,

Thinking of getting into the new for me sound formats, specifically Atmos

I have an Oppo 103D which I have set to down mix to 7.1 analogue outputs which go into the Parasound 7100 (non HDMI) processor and then on ward to a Butler Audio 5150 and for the two rear channels into a Denon POA 8300.

My understanding is that 7.1 outs from the Oppo are not affected by the Parasound, as 7.1 outs are just a pass through signal, am I correct on that front?

So if I am correct in the pass through handling, any Processor/AVR with the 7.1 outs will sound the same as any other one, because the signal is just passing through to the power amps.

Atmos is sent via HDMI, just a bunch of 1's and 0's. Would quality of Processor/AVR play into AV quality? I do not need any bells and whistles, like Network connection or streaming or anything like that.

All I would be looking for is Atmos

thanks

Not sure the OPPO 103 supports Dolby Atmos? Check out the Sony DN1080 4K Receiver great Dolby Atmos support + SACD, DVD-A, Dolby Vision if that is something of interest?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:33 pm 

Yes, the new Blade Runner was awesome.... though I had it in all 4K and all separate channels... good movie, great sound, and actually a not bad ending... I have actually sold all my large amps (except one) and downsized the home theater, came to realize I don't need a Balanced Audio Technology VK500 duel mono amp to fuel my two front ceiling speakers....!! just a little bit of over kill... nor a Plinius SA100MKlll for the back rear ceiling speakers.....
But Atmos is fantastic, and DTS-X is even better, if you can find it!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:53 am 

Tutone wrote:
Yes, the new Blade Runner was awesome.... though I had it in all 4K and all separate channels... good movie, great sound, and actually a not bad ending... I have actually sold all my large amps (except one) and downsized the home theater, came to realize I don't need a Balanced Audio Technology VK500 duel mono amp to fuel my two front ceiling speakers....!! just a little bit of over kill... nor a Plinius SA100MKlll for the back rear ceiling speakers.....
But Atmos is fantastic, and DTS-X is even better, if you can find it!!

Not sure what you mean by in all 4K? I watched in 4K UHD over HDMI using my Sony X800 4k Dolby Atmos bluray player to my Dolby Atmos capable A/V receiver out to 5.1.2 speaker system. I'm no expert but I do know that Dolby Atmos meta data (assuming you have the hardware) can be sent to any speaker. But to take advantage of the 3 dimensional sound such as rain, thunder coming from above you really need height speakers.

BR 2049 on disc comes in Dolby Vision. Unfortunately my 4K blurry player the X800 does not support Dolby Vision (damn Sony), but HDR10 looks pretty amazing. I think BR 2040 was remastered to 4K from 3.4K so it was not pure 4K to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 am 

AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Hmm...lots of mis-leadinginfo there. Dolby Atmos is an audio format not sure why they discuss OLED TVs?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm 

vibrolux wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Hmm...lots of mis-leadinginfo there. Dolby Atmos is an audio format not sure why they discuss OLED TVs?

Must be seeing something different, no reference to OLED TV's...maybe in the ads...

Regards
Ohms

www.LEOHL.ca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm 

To do Dolby Atmos properly I used all 4K equipment. starting with a 4K UHD disc, from a 4K bluray player, to a 4K receiver/processor, to output to 11 channels, driven by 5-2 channel amps and one mono, to 2 front speakers, one center, two ceiling front speakers, two ceiling rear spears, 2 back surround speakers and 2 regular side surround speakers and 3 subs..projector is 4K to 110" screen.... that is what I am talking about 4K all the way, check my gallery,,,, you will see the WALL

Which by the way I have sold most of the amps, and purchase a muliti amp and downsized the rest.... still have one for sale.

Now that is ATMOS and DTS-X to be enjoyed!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 pm 

Tutone wrote:
To do Dolby Atmos properly I used all 4K equipment. starting with a 4K UHD disc, from a 4K bluray player, to a 4K receiver/processor, to output to 11 channels, driven by 5-2 channel amps and one mono, to 2 front speakers, one center, two ceiling front speakers, two ceiling rear spears, 2 back surround speakers and 2 regular side surround speakers and 3 subs..projector is 4K to 110" screen.... that is what I am talking about 4K all the way, check my gallery,,,, you will see the WALL

Which by the way I have sold most of the amps, and purchase a muliti amp and downsized the rest.... still have one for sale.

Now that is ATMOS and DTS-X to be enjoyed!!

Very cool. I decided to go with a 4K UHD multichannel receiver that supports DA over HDMI, Sony's DN1080. Great mid-priced receiver. Does a great job with DSD, SACD as well. I wish my Apple TV 4K supported Dolby Atmos as well, but at leats it does Dolby Vision, so pretty happy about that.

Check out Mad Max Fury Road in 4K UHD, the DA audio is superb.