Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 am 

Folks,

So my primary wireless speaker for my kitchen experienced a hiccup and I'm entertaining the idea of a new one. I have a couple of truly portable Ultimate Ear Boom2's for here and there and true battery powered portability, but the kitchen other than my primary rig is my main listening area as I cook for the family 80% of the time (and drink my wine), so I've typically looked for something a bit better than basic. I use a variety of techniques and sources....AirPlay, DNLA, Tidal/Spotify, BubblePNP, Direct Wire...The Naim Mu-So and it's little brother the Qb seem to be by all accounts the creme d'la creme of semi-portable speaker. But it comes at a price. There are a couple on CAM as we speak at reasonable discounts but still up in the $700+ range...

Anyone with any experience with these units feel it is worth the cost? - particularly the Qb? Sono's are cheaper and I may be misreading the specs a bit but I don't particularly like the fully closed system that Sono's appears to present.

Cheers all,

Deep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am 

I am a fan of Naim Audio. I have no experience with the Mu-so QB, but my entire two-channel rig is Naim gear.

I have gifted the OPPO Sonica Wi-Fi speaker twice, and it is a great little speaker with a dynamic range that defies its size.

Before you buy the Mu-so QB I would recommend taking a look at the OPPO Sonica speaker.

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am 

I am one of the CAM members with a Muso Qb for sale. I can attest that it is a fine unit, but perhaps not for everyone and, depending on the size of your kitchen, a little bigger than it seems. Like a previous poster I am a huge fan of Naim gear and have a Unitilite that I've been using as my main source for listening. Please note, I have previously owned Arcam, Sugden, NAD and Krell.. so I've done some comparison. I purchased the Qb hoping to expand my Unitilite into other rooms, but ... I didn't take into account that I have the main rig hardwired into the router, whereas the Qb would have to go Wi-Fi since I don't intend to run a cable to anywhere else. It also didn't help that my wife thought it's all very nice, but do we really need another "stereo thing"? I can certainly recommend the Qb for its build quality, manufacturer update support, its' versatility in streaming options, as well as web radio and even being hooked up to another source such as an iPad. Like most gear here on CAM it's up to the listener to determine if it's worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 am 

I am a Muso owner for a few years now, and have a 6 zone Sonos set up.
The Muso is a great piece that adequately replaced a 2ch set up in my living room, where music is not a high priority but still is used. I have a 2ch in an adjacent room off my kitchen and use Sonos to deliver the same signal to both areas when I want. The Muso is primarily a sound bar for my TV; it is nice to have that quality of sound not just for tv, but provides enough for my home movie watching. Concert videos etc. are very enjoyable as well.
If not for the duel use, I would have difficulty recommending the Muso as a single use item compared to other offerings. I have not heard the QB so this is only related to the $1700 Muso.
As far a operating is concerned, the Sonos app is the best interface I have come across and offers more versatility then any other.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 am 
Premium User

It's a nice sounding piece and looks great in a room. Good value? Absolutely not but it should be considered if aesthetics matter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:05 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have to digest it. That Oppo piece looks nice, but I'm a bit concerned about it w.r.t. to the closing of Oppo audio division. Only because the exact reason my current speaker is "broken" is that it needs to have it's wi-fi reconfigured, but that can only be done via an App and that App no longer runs on modern iOS or Android platforms which means for all intensive purposes it's been kicked out to pasture. I'd hate to have the same happen with the Oppo...paranoid yes...but it just happened ;-).

mplublic...thanks for tweaking my brain on the Sono's. It prompted me to look at the current feature set and it's seems a bit more robust than I recall. The UI was always decent but a friends of mine that I interact with on occasion always seems so closed in, but I'm not sure if he's got Tidal/Spotify Connect going on it. The play 5 does still sound pretty good, and I'm already a bit more accustomed to the way it handles the queue and such as I've been mucking around with BubblePNP pushing content around already. Maybe I'll big box one so I can easily take it back if I can't get it to do what I want.

Deep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

Sonos will connect to pretty much any service, just sign in to your account under the music services tab. The new play 5 is a very good speaker, even better with 2 in a stereo configuration.
I have mostly 1st generation devices, some 10 years old now, and used daily without a hiccup.