Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What does this mean?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm 

I’ve seen the term, tube rolling. I know it refers to valve amplifier but what is it and why is it called tube rolling? Please I’m not to understanding of tech . Simple answer would help. Thanks

Post subject: Re: What does this mean?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:57 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
I’ve seen the term, tube rolling. I know it refers to valve amplifier but what is it and why is it called tube rolling? Please I’m not to understanding of tech . Simple answer would help. Thanks

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/tube-rolling/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm 

Tube rolling is simply a matter of trying other tubes that are compatible with your tube gear. This will usually result in a different flavor and in some cases a marked improvement. Your ears will ultimately decide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 pm 
Premium User

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

Yes, I am wondering this also. I tried this once, but I couldn't get the damn thing lit ! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm 

vinylbrother wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

Yes, I am wondering this also. I tried this once, but I couldn't get the damn thing lit ! :lol:

Ya your rollin the wrong stuff man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 pm 

Too expand a little bit...
As was said, tube rolling is trying other tubes, to see if theres a sonic change. There are essentially two types of rolling:

Same tube, different manufacturer: Take a tube type like a 12ax7, a very common dual triode preamp tube. It's been manufactured by dozens of companies, each with slightly different mechanical construction, different manufacturing quality, etc. So there are small variations in the way they perform, which may (or may not) result in different sound.

or

Different tube, thats compatible with the circuit: There are also circuits that have been designed with one tube in mind, but will work with other, similar tubes. Another dual triode preamp tube for example: 6DJ8, 6922, E88CC, E188CC are all variations on the same basic design, with slightly different specs. Again, swapping (or rolling) may or may not change the sound.

As always, the sound may change, but different is not always an improvement!

Hope this helps! Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm 

Thanks much Dave . Changing out tubes would have been less confusing, but I get it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm 

I assumed, maybe wrongly, that tube rolling refers to frequent changing of tubes. It's probably just semantics, but if I ever changed the tubes once in my life, does that qualify for "tube rolling" on my part?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:01 pm 

If you replace your tubes because they are at EOL, I wouldn't consider this tube rolling... Usually, it will apply to trying different vintage or suppliers of the same tubes or different but compatible tubes (eg. el34, kt88, 6550...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 pm 

Its the audiophile version of the woodworkers' belt sander races.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 am 

It's an American expression for a game where you take properly functioning tubes of the type and brand provided for brand new in the unit by its manufacturer and replace them with many decades old NOS or used (the latter always said to measure extremely well) tubes with unknown provenance at ever increasing prices.

The use of the colloquial "rolling" is from the use of "rolled" in the sense of pulling the wool over the eye of an unwary customer or party one is dealing with.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/387834/what-does-get-rolled-in-eight-ways-trump-got-rolled-in-his-first-budget-negot

So the replacement tubes in a unit are rolled as a consequence of the owner of the unit being rolled by a vendor.

For the audiophile it is fun so long as he does not become addicted. For the audiophile's wife it is a source of bewilderment and embarrassment if the husband is outted. For the audiophile's children (assuming he has taken time away from his hobby to have any) it is the reason their inheritance is so paltry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 am 

PBB, you’re right on so many points.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 am 

Wind Chaser wrote:
Tube rolling is simply a matter of trying other tubes that are compatible with your tube gear. This will usually result in a different flavor and in some cases a marked improvement. Your ears will ultimately decide.

Sorry: the brain will decide.