Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

Apologies if this has been done.
I am considering these speaker isolators for my kefs
I have read the glowing reviews, spoken to several people at the company, they were exceptional by the way, and spoken to a dealer, he was great as well.
What I would appreciate are the opinions of those who have this product, or have heard this product.
Do they do what they claim, are they worth the money?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm 

Yes they work. I would buy them again.

They do not make an earth shattering difference but a discernible difference yes. The speakers just sound better in everyway.

I have bought many tweaks over teh years and the Gaia's made a more descenable difference than any fancy powercord, USB cable or isolation device I have paid good money for in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thank you Derek, I really appreciate your honest, articulate reply.
Don't suppose you know how to delete the duplicate post I somehow created? Lol

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 pm 

Have had my Gaia IIIs for a week now(surround duty) Bryston mini Ts
Totally impressed
Waiting for my Gaia IIs for my mains
Seems and sounds like the speakers just disappears
Hard to explain but a huge upgrade or substantial tweak that works
Once I have settled in with IIs on my mains
I might do a IsoAcoustic custom on my 1812 sub
Have the Aperta 300 on my center channel speaker and the same thing’ the cabinet just disappeared : :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 pm 

I have the Gaia II. A bit of a pita to level and set up, they have rubber on the bottom that acts as a suction cup to my hardwood. They made a remarkable difference on my focal Electra’s. I noticed an increase in width of soundstage, tighter bass, Somehow the speaker just sounds better over all. More
Cohesive if that makes any sense. I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 pm 

I used them on a turntable, they were screwed into the base of the table in replacement of the factory footing.

The isolation was well noted. The bass was significantly tighter, the overall dynamics cleaner, and the detail was more refined.

I would have to agree that they do what they are said to do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 am 

Thank you for the reviews so far, I really appreciate the excellent observations.
I wondered about leveling being a pita.
They say the logo must face either straight forward or back, giving only 180° options for leveling.
I was also going to contact them to find out how long the studs are for attachment.
My R900's have a somewhat decorative aluminum wheel that acts as a lock nut for the spikes, I don't want to leave them off. I was hoping the studs would be long enough to protrude through the top of the out-riggers to attach them.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 am 

Steve, the instructions on centering logo etc (I believe) is marketing more than function. I reviewed the drawings of these and construction as well as had a lengthly conversation with a dealer of the product. Neither if us can see how it would make a difference. Certainly in audition at the store, 2 of the employees and myself did not.

Id just screw in position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:03 am 

JGP wrote:
Steve, the instructions on centering logo etc (I believe) is marketing more than function. I reviewed the drawings of these and construction as well as had a lengthly conversation with a dealer of the product. Neither if us can see how it would make a difference. Certainly in audition at the store, 2 of the employees and myself did not.

JGP
Could you please say at which dealer that you auditioned these Gaia.
I am hoping to get 2 sets of Gaia I.
Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 am 

http://www.isoacoustics.com website been inaccessible for me all morning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:45 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

JGP wrote:

The Gaia's are directional. This is critical to the installation. The logo identifies the direction. If you wish to not see the logo (which is very subtle btw) rotate the feet so the logo faces backwards. There is sufficient thread to level in almost any application.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 am 
Premium User

I agree with the directional comment - logo front or 180 degrees. They are more compliant along that axis as opposed to 90 degrees to that axis. I have them on my Turnberrys and you can get a slight wiggle back and forth but nothing side to side. When I asked Isoacoustics about this (because it seemed counterintuitive for optimal bass performance) they explained that this was how they were designed to behave.

I also agree with the PITA to level comment! Especially since they do stick to a hardwood floor and if you aren't careful the rubber section can pull out of the metal housing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 am 

I saw/heard a demonstration of Gaias at AXPONA. There were two pairs of identical speakers (Focal Arias), one pair was on Gaias and the other on the spikes. The demonstrator would switch between the speakers while playing music. The difference was SO audiable that I ordered two sets (one set per speaker) of Gaia IIs right away. Installed them on my Focal Electra 1038s and could not be happier. The sound image became more palpable and the bass became more controlled and pronounced. Very good product IMO.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:26 am 

Good to read the positive reviews. I am considering getting them but I require the Gaia I for my Focal speakers and they are kind of expensive for two sets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 am 

Hi,
Just curious if anyone looked at the physics spikes vs insulators.
As far as I understand, spikes "ground" or "anchor or couples" the speaker cabinet to the floor.
This makes sense since the cabinet vibration colours the sound. Ideally we shoul hear the drivers not the cabinet.
Insulator de-couples the cabinet from the floor allowing it to vibrate more freely. Isn't that the exact opposite of what is desired?
On the other hand, de-coupling the cabinet from possibly vibrating floor can be beneficial.
Any thoughts?