Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JRiver's Media Center
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:26 am 

Anyone else here using the JRiver's Media Center , I am still in the trial stages and so far I am very pleased with it, but before I go ahead with purchasing it I am wondering if anyone has other similar recommended ones that I should try out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 am 

I have used it for quite awhile.
I don't upgrade everytime but if a new feature I want comes up I do it.
I only use it for audio with laptop.
I live in Mexico for 6 months every year and it is my only real source for music here-I downloaded +5000 cds and have never had a problem.
I also used JRiver to load cards for my Fiio X5iii with no issues either!
Kinda overwhelming to start with but I would give it a excellent recommendation --if I can figure it out.....anyone can!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 am 

I have been using Jriver for several years now and like it a lot. I use it to stream from my windows desktop to my Pioneer Elite N50 and to load my wife's old Ipod (1 gig). I agree with Whitzend in that I don't update it often, only when there is a new feature I want. Did however just upgrade from the 18 version to the new 24. If it aint broke don't fix it I always say.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 am 

I have used MC on both Windows and Mac for about 5 years (on and off). I really liked the Windows version but never liked the sound quality of the Mac version. Don't get me wrong, the Mac version sounded good but never great in my system. There are many things I didn't like about MC: It's extreme flexibility makes it difficult to optimize, I hated the library management (although I believe they finally addressed that in a recent version) etc.

I thought Roon was much better and easier to use. My favourite player is Amarra Symphony used with the Dirac room correction software. However, it's very expensive and buggy.

To summarize:

1. MC is great if you like the ultimate in flexibility and low price.
2. Roon is great if you like a great UI with decent sound but the price is a little steep.
3. Symphony is great if you take the time to get it dialled in with a calibrated microphone and don't mind the cost and bugs. It was by far the best sounding in my system.

There are plenty of other free or free trial players out there so take your time and go with whatever suits your preferences and budget.

Todd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 am 

whitzend wrote:
I live in Mexico for 6 months every year and it is my only real source for music here-I downloaded +5000 cds and have never had a problem.
Kinda overwhelming to start with but I would give it a excellent recommendation --if I can figure it out.....anyone can!

Interesting I have JRiver as well. I have a Fido X5 also but just transfer to the cards by drag and drop in windows, but I seem to lose some of the metadata functionality when I do it this way. How does JRiver do the transfer?

-- 22 Apr 2018 10:59 --

whitzend wrote:

Interesting I have JRiver as well. I have a X5as also but just transfer to the cards by drag and drop in windows, but I seem to lose some of the metadata functionality when I do it this way. How does JRiver do the transfer?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:54 am 

I have been using JRiver Media Center now for about 10 years.

It does offer many features over others, not only is it just a good audio player but it’s also a great video player, and it’s also a media server.

So, if you’re an Audiophile/Audio enthusiast or Cinephile/Video enthusiast, you’re covered.
There is access to plugins and other optimizations.

For Cinephiles there is access to madVR, a high-quality DirectShow video renderer, which is comparable to anything Oppo player’s video playback has to offer.

I keep my music and video separate, and you can install it on multiple PCs under same network.
I will be upgrading to their latest ver 24, from ver 23.

There is a bit of a learning curve, so you’ll have to make extensive use of their wikki pages and forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

Been using it for several years and it’s the benchmark for digital music playback. Wouldn’t be without it. Tons of features. I use its media server feature to stream to my Naim Atom and raspberry Pi. I use its DSP features to slow the tempo of my morning workout music. The CD rip feature speaks for itself; tagging for files including WAV; conversion to all formats; smart playlists. I haven’t even touched the video and online radio capabilities. For the price it’s a steal. Regular free upgrades and discounts on new generations. Go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

If you are using Mac, go for Audirvana 3+.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

misteraudio wrote:
If you are using Mac, go for Audirvana 3+.

Apparently Damien (the developer) is working on a Windows version of the Audirvana software. I quite like it and have used it for several years now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 pm 

We have tried several over the years and are currently very happy with Roon.

I use Plex as well, but mostly for video. It will serve the music library as well, but for use in the house we use Roon largely due to the Tidal integration. Both sound great. Plex is great as I can stream the library from outside the house, so at friends I can use my phone to stream to their systems.

I use different tools to rip CD's and put the files into the Music directory and Roon automatically adds it to the library. Plex takes longer to notice the addition, but does.

Pretty sure Roon also has a free trial.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm 

I'm new to computer/dac based music and have been using JRiver for a couple of months. Have burned about 60 cds to flac file on my laptop and find it works very well, sounds great and simple to use.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:30 am 

joseph49 wrote:
Anyone else here using the JRiver's Media Center , I am still in the trial stages and so far I am very pleased with it, but before I go ahead with purchasing it I am wondering if anyone has other similar recommended ones that I should try out.

I've used it since version 16. I upgrade every time, I think they run about once a year. It's not that I need the new features, but that I like to support the business and at cost of $40 or so for an upgrade I think it's well worth it.

JRiver has a number of features that work well for computer audio playback with or without the companion remote control - JRemote. But for me, the most desirable feature is their support for WASAPI or ASIO for bit perfect playback. The cover art and all that works well, but I run it in Audio Only Mode (under View) as the bajillion other features are things that don't interest me.

I think it's the best audio playback program out there, with connectivity to just about anything you can think of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm 

Been using jRiver for a few years and generally happy with functions and sound quality.
As others have said, I do not upgrade to every new upgrade.
FYI - you can extend the trial version 3 to 4 times for evaluation before purchase, which is what I did.

Genesis; "Carpet Crawlers" from Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. 1974

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:07 pm 

I too have used Jriver for a number of years. I occasionally wish it did a little more so I tried out Roon. Roon looks a little nicer and has a ton of meta data extra but I didn’t like browsing through my library and much as Jriver. Jriver UI isn’t as polished but I find it super usable. Even if Roon was the same price, I’d opt for the usability over the appearance and extra meta data. Roon’s remote is nicer and multi room is awesome but for me, I like the flow of Jriver. They all have demos give them a whirl and see what you like.

To support the development of Jriver I buy the early updates for about $30, well worth it to keep it going and the developers are super active in the forums if you have questions or concerns.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm 

I have JRiver MC23 and like it. Tons of options.

I also have muso, a bit unknown but actually very good. It works very well with HQPlayer. Please note it is not a "music player" per se, but it works in conjunction with a player such as WMP which is embedded in the muso software (also works with iTunes and Foobar). I use it specifically for interfacing with HQP as the player.

http://klarita.net/muso.html

Another one to check out is Daphile but I cannot offer any direct personal experience with it, just read that it is quite capable.