Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

time to (once again) plumb the collective. I currently am using a very satisfactory TEAC CD transport/player into my Yamaha DSP-2070 and McIntosh 754 amps. The sound is pleasing and very accurate. Nice. For digital :)

I am thinking of placing a tube buffer in this connection path to "round out" the sound a little bit. Accurate is great, emotion is better....and that is what I am looking for. I am just wondering if anyone has tried this and what their results were; as well, I wonder what is out there in the market as well.....

I currently use tube phono amps and have been very pleased with the results....I guess I would like to try something similar for my digital source without wholesale changes in amplification....

Ya, this is a bit out there for even one of my questions!

Thanks, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm 

I have tried a couple of Yaqin buffers and my experience was that they took away from the sound. If you like tubes, I think you can't do half measures. You might be looking for an 'el34' type sound if it suits your speakers.

You might also want to change up your dac to a R2R or non over-sampling or multi-bit type dac for a more natural, 'analogue' type sound.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm 

Most who go this route are not satisfied with the result.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:43 pm 

If you are not too attached to your current CD player, consider replacing it with one equipped with a true valve state output section rather than just adding a buffer stage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 pm 

brownslane wrote:
time to (once again) plumb the collective. I currently am using a very satisfactory TEAC CD transport/player into my Yamaha DSP-2070 and McIntosh 754 amps. The sound is pleasing and very accurate. Nice. For digital :)

I am thinking of placing a tube buffer in this connection path to "round out" the sound a little bit. Accurate is great, emotion is better....and that is what I am looking for. I am just wondering if anyone has tried this and what their results were; as well, I wonder what is out there in the market as well.....

I currently use tube phono amps and have been very pleased with the results....I guess I would like to try something similar for my digital source without wholesale changes in amplification....

Thanks, Tom

I used a Yaqin CD2 years ago, in different configs, with great results. Put some nice tubes in that wee sucker & you might just fall in love with it. I since gifted it to a buddy as I finally bought a tubed preamp. He loves the Yaq2.
For 22 pages of bickering, see this thread:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/v ... 23&t=15714
8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm 

I use a Musical Fidelity tube buffer between preamp and amp (British Fidelity vintage "88 class A).

It was a relatively small investment and it *might* round out the sound just a tad. Past age 40 or so you will likely have lost your ability to hear the highest frequencies and it might be a bit of a placebo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

Many years ago, I used a Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Tube Output Buffer in an Audio System.
Needless to say... I was not very impressed with it.
--
If I had a choice and wanted to "Round out" the sound a little bit. I would take a look at trying a different IC Cable...
In between your Teac CD Tansport/Player and Yamaha DSP-2070. Perhaps, something like an original Cardas Cross IC Cable -- Would work quite well.

This is just a thought... "Nothing More and Nothing Less!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 am 

RandyB wrote:
I have tried a couple of Yaqin buffers and my experience was that they took away from the sound. If you like tubes, I think you can't do half measures. You might be looking for an 'el34' type sound if it suits your speakers.

You might also want to change up your dac to a R2R or non over-sampling or multi-bit type dac for a more natural, 'analogue' type sound.

+1

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 am 

I've just found out that with the Yaqin CD3 tube buffer, a resistor is missing off the output.

This is typically a 1M resistor that is used to bleed off any DC charge on the output plate
of the output coupling cap.
In nearly all cases its not needed because most power amps are DC coupled.
However, in the rare situation when a power amp has an input coupling cap,
if there is nothing to bleed off the DC charge, look out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:33 am 

RandyB wrote:
... You might also want to change up your dac to a R2R or non over-sampling or multi-bit type dac for a more natural, 'analogue' type sound.

+2.

When, I wrote my original message reply... I thought that the 'OP' did not want to change his DAC or Amplification.
Now that I see, that he only wants to keep his Amplification... I too would recommend the changing of the DAC --
In order to get a warmer and more 'emotional', analog type sound.

Thank-you! Me bad...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am 

A decade ago I had a complete Musical Fidelity A3 system (CD, DAC, tube buffer, pre, power). The tube buffer didn't do much harm, it did "fatten" the sound a bit, but at the end of the day, it only did that by adding noise/distortion (even if it was pleasant noise) to the analog signal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 am 

"Accurate is great, emotion is better....and that is what I am looking for."
Exactly what I'm getting with my Grant Fidelity P-307 phono pre . I have both
my turntable & cd player running through some nice 12ax7s & 12au7 Mullards .
I'm happy .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 am 

Op,

I understand your posting.

I have found from experience that the component that will supply the greatest quantity of "tube" signature is in fact the amplification (amplifier) stage and second is the addition of a tube preamp.

Wanting to keep your current equipment and only adding "tube" to your system I can suggest the Grant Fidelity B-283 MKII tube buffer as I did use it briefly in my system. It uses 6SN7 tubes. As others will indicate a tube buffer is more for impedance mismatches and if you want tube sound replacing your amp or preamp would be a better option.

I will say that adding a tube buffer is an inexpensive experiment and if you don't achieve the results you are after you can move it on to another CAMer that may also want to try the very same experiment.

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 am 

A few years ago I tried one of those Yaqin tube buffers that were sprinkled with Grant Fidelity magic dust. If it did anything, it made things a bit fuzzy, but it certainly didn't make things better. I agree with the advice to change the component that the OP finds objectionable. Tube buffers are a waste of money, but some guys like the trendy glow of tubes, even if they do nothing ... like an audio lava lamp.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 pm 

brownslane wrote:

Thanks, Tom

Just so you know, the best results I obtained with the Yaqin CD2 were patching it in between solid-state phonostages & solid-state preamps, or in between solid-state preamps & solid-state poweramps. And try not to let condescending, insulting, and dismissive opinions sway you regarding these tube-processors. Implemented in the right spot they can yeild a very satisfactory result. You may end up just trying a different CD player, but a little experimentation never hurt anybody. Hope this helps & good luck!