Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 am 

Guys ,
I am presently building my home theatre system in the basement .
I have a 9 channel dolby atmos receiver and I need to find a suitable amp to power 2 extra channels .
My thoughts were to power the 3 front channels with a high power amplifier allowing the reciever to take care of the remaining surround channels .
Could you give me any advice on which way to go ?
I was looking at an Emotiva 3 channel amp as it powers all channels at 250 watts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am 

what kind of speaker will you be driving with that amp?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am 

If you have a dolby 9-channel receiver, then you only have 9 discrete channels to amplify. Where are the other two channels going to come from? Unless you have an 11-channel receiver......am I missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 am 

brownslane wrote:
If you have a dolby 9-channel receiver, then you only have 9 discrete channels to amplify. Where are the other two channels going to come from? Unless you have an 11-channel receiver......am I missing something?

Point taken...........additionally, there's NOTHING DISCRETE about most of those channels.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 am 

del Sol wrote:
Point taken...........additionally, there's NOTHING DISCRETE about most of those channels.
Cheers, del Sol

Agreed. Your post reminded me of the following comment...
As found @ http://www.firstwatt.com

"Mr. Olsher famously remarked... That 'The first watt is the most important watt.'
This sentiment has also been expressed by others as:

'Who cares what an amplifier sounds like at 500 watts if it sounds like crap at one watt?' "
--
And Now Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 am 

brownslane wrote:

The 3060 has nine amp channels but is able to process 11, thus the need for an outboard amp to power the 2 additional channels.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:14 am 

if you want to keep the sonic integrity of your set up , you better choose a Yamaha basic amp. because you will never ear the end of that story, here on cam. it like opening a can of worm :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am 

You should be fine with your plan, just make sure the yamaha let's you reassign the front left and right amps to power a pair of height speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am 

It's difficult enough to get 2 channels right, let alone 9 or 11. Initially I would stick to the Yamaha only. Yes, the Emotiva option would work. However there are some old threads here regarding that brand and many are not impressed with the sound quality.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 am 

Been running 11 channels for quite awhile, all with high end amps, just started to downsize the system, depending on your budget, cash flow, addiction, I would recomment a really good center channel amp, 70% in a movie comes from the center, other members can correct that number, but a majority of the sound is your center, followed by your fronts, buy a good 2 channel for the fronts and a really good mono for the center, and let the receiver do the rest as the Atmos sound is incredable if done right...
Stay away from Emotiva 3, (last time I said that, there were many threads for and againest Emotiva..... personally I would stay far far away..... it is a long story, but not one for this forum...

Best of luck.... just remember the Center Channel is the most important... than fronts...!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 pm 

Tutone wrote:

Best of luck.... just remember the Center Channel is the most important... than fronts...!!!

Agreed, and try not to mismatch L/C/R too much, or it all.

This is not a fan of Emotiva sound either. And chill those lights man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 pm 

I think I can have a nice proceed HPA3 250 watt x 3> 8 ohm, 500> 4 ohm, for less then the emotiva
and quality that would make you happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:15 pm 

I’ve never heard a AVR that is capable of producing significantly better sound when used as a PreAmp, unless the issue is that the speakers needed additional power. Add to that the possibility of creating a mismatch with an external power amp and adding another set of interconnects and I would consider buying an inexpensive power amp for the back speakers, which are rarely actually used instead of sending more power to the front, unless you’re convinced they need more power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm 

I would suggest Padboy1 grab a Anthem with Atmos, and use it only as a pre-amp.... you will be very pleasantly surprised, unless you want to drop $8000 on a Atmos Pre-amp processor....this is your best option... now if you are sticking to the old boring out of date, missing the real show Dolby 5.1 in any version you like, than a pre-amp/processor is reasonable.. you can pick up a older Krell that 6 years ago retailed for $7500 for under $700 ....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 am 

zon001 wrote:
I think I can have a nice proceed HPA3 250 watt x 3> 8 ohm, 500> 4 ohm, for less then the emotiva
and quality that would make you happy

Could you tell me a little more about the Proceed amp ? I am interested .

-- 19 Apr 2018 13:56 --

padboy1 wrote:
I’ve never heard a AVR that is capable of producing significantly better sound when used as a PreAmp, unless the issue is that the speakers needed additional power. Add to that the possibility of creating a mismatch with an external power amp and adding another set of interconnects and I would consider buying an inexpensive power amp for the back speakers, which are rarely actually used instead of sending more power to the front, unless you’re convinced they need more power.

Excellent advice .
I would like to thank all of you guys for the knowledge and advice .
Maybe just a cheap yamaha amp is all I need to drive the 2 rear channels .
I have the system connected now using the receiver alone minus the two rear channels and the sound is incredible using Atmos . Just a small room at 20x 16 .
I thought I sound proofed properly but my svs subs still drive the wife nutts .