Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 am 

I know this is a little bit like asking you what is my favourite flavour of icecream but as a new owner of an Exposure 2010S2 integrated I was wondering what interconnects and speaker cables other owners of similar vintage Exposure gear have used with good results.

Budget would be under $700 for each & used is ok.

The rest of my system is:

Ariston RD11 Superieur/Rega RB250/AT440MLa/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII phono pre/Lounge Audio rca's
(RG58U - solid copper center conductor & thick copper braided shielding with capacitance of 30 pico farads per foot w/REAN rca's).

Laptop w JRiver & Tidal /Cambridge DacMagic 100 w/ UltraLink Challenger cables

PSB GT1 towers bi-wired w/ Monster Cable Z2 Series speaker cables

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

Last edited by shawnwes on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:34 am 

What's your budget?

So for $700, I would highly recommend auditioning Teo Audio Game Changer IC's.

Teo Audio offers a very generous money back guaranteed time period, so all you have to lose is the cost of postage.

Last edited by NordicNorm on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am 

I would start with your power cable to the amp seeing how it is the first link in the flow of electricity before changing interconnects.
Getting a good power cable can affect the way your amp will sound further along the chain. Imho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 am 

Regarding speaker cables, when I bought my Exposure 2010S2 last summer I e-mailed the company to ask if they had any recommendations. At one point Exposure apparently sold their own cable and recommended it exclusively with their amps but that changed several years ago.

To my surprise, Exposure responded by suggesting either Naim or Linn speaker cable (two of their competitors). They also said they've had good results with Chord and Atlas speaker and interconnect cables.

A friend had some Naim NAC5 cables available that I'm currently using, but will be experimenting with other cables soon (including the recommended Chord). As far as RCA interconnects from my DAC, I was using a BIS Basic cable but recently changed to an Audio Sensibility Impact SE. I find it more detailed and "crisper." And I use an Impact SE power cable with Furutech FI-15 copper plug. All budget, entry-level items bought used on CAM.

Finally, not to open a can of worms, I invested $25 in an AMR fuse and find it makes a subtle but obvious difference. I would not spend $100+ on an SR Black or Blue fuse, but the $25 was within reach. I figured I could always sell the fuse if I thought it was useless. Any dealer who sells HiFiMan or iFi can order them for you from Motet.

Enjoy the Exposure. I love mine!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am 

shawnwes:

Two questions when you have a chance:

Does your amp "jump" to the CD input when you power it up, regardless of the previous selection? Mine does, and it's no big deal as I now simply use the CD input and rarely turn it off anyway. I was wondering if the amp was programmed to do this.

Does your amp make a slight "woosh" sound through your speakers when you power up, even if the volume is fully down? I read somewhere this could be because the amp has a passive preamp section and this is normal.

My unit was built in late 2009, one of the first of the 2010S2 series. (If you send Exposure the serial number they will tell you the exact day your unit left their factory.) Maybe these glitches were fixed later in production.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 am 

Thanks for the detailed response FLACfan. My amp does default to the CD selection then goes to Tuner a few seconds later for some oddball reason. A small thump (delayed power on relay?) but no "woosh" sound.

I was suprised at the Linn recommendation (K20 ?) as well but it makes sense perhaps as the my first impression is the system now has alot more detail and is leaner in a good way. I once had K20 in my Audire/Spica system & it was warmer but less detail than the cables I later made.

Budget! How could I forget that (orig. post edited) always "as little as possible" :lol: - but for the right cable I'd go to $700/pr (speaker or IC).

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 am 

Yes, "thump" is a better description. I was actually going to edit my post to change the word.

I think I'll write to Exposure next week to ask about the input jumping. It's weird, isn't it? I'll post if I learn anything.

I know another CAM member who posts here frequently has the same integrated amp we do (a David, maybe?). Perhaps he can add his experience with the jumping input if he sees this thread.

Your cable budget is much higher than mine. I did my entire rig for about $700!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:21 am 

I know I can find something less expensive but "if the right one comes along" she might be worth the few extra $.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 am 

Hi,

A 2010S V1 user here, for many years. I roll my own interconnects using Kimber PBJ. I bought several yards of it years ago from The Parts Connection before it became the Parts Connexion. Kimber dropped PBJ (or else rebadged it) for a while but I think they then re-issued it.

I make my own speaker cables. People laugh and I don't care, because they are superb. I have heard Audio Note Silver Sogon's at $5K a pair while sitting with Peter Qvortrup and they don't do very much for me. Search the 'cheap cables' threads and you will find my old posts on 'thermostat wire'. For $20 you can try them. What have you got to lose?

Finally, two years ago I bought from Steve Huang at Audio Sensibility an Impact OCC (Ohno Casting) copper phono interconnect cable to link my Gold Note Valore 425 to my separate phono pre. This wire has some science behind it and is exceptional in every way. Others agree, for instance Toby, the moderator of this forum. It is also available in a silver version. Gene Evely at Take Five Audio also sells this wire and like Steve Huang will terminate it any way you want. Both these guys are a gift to Canadian audio. Toby too!

Note to FLACfan: I have a V1 of the 2010S with a moving coil phono board. It doesn't jump to CD on powering up. It does soft thump when you push on the power button and this is pretty standard on many amps. Then there is a delay of maybe ten seconds before the speakers come up, and this is a built in safety feature. There is no audible whoosh but I routinely turn the amp down before powering it off. I don't use the Exposure remote, because the Cambridge Audio remote I use for CDs is (accidentally) linked to the volume control. On amps, I really don't worry much about how they function until blue smoke starts to fill the room.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 am 

Here's three cables recommandations for your system:

First: a good power cord will make your amp sing: a BIS AC AMP. Even better on your DAC.

Interconnect: Still as good today as they were years ago, the Van Den Hull "The second" interconnect. Available on the used market only. One of the best interconnect out there, especially with XLR connectors. Canuckaudiomart and eBay.

Speaker cables: Atlas Hyper 2.0 cables. Available at Futureshop UK, less than $300 new with connectors, delivered to Canada in 2.5 meters length.
https://www.whathifi.com/atlas/hyper-20/review

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:40 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

A 2010S V1 user here, for many years. I roll my own interconnects using Kimber PBJ. I bought several yards of it years ago from The Parts Connection before it became the Parts Connexion. Kimber dropped PBJ (or else rebadged it) for a while but I think they then re-issued it.

I make my own speaker cables. People laugh and I don't care, because they are superb. I have heard Audio Note Silver Sogon's at $5K a pair while sitting with Peter Qvortrup and they don't do very much for me. Search the 'cheap cables' threads and you will find my old posts on 'thermostat wire'. For $20 you can try them. What have you got to lose?

Finally, two years ago I bought from Steve Huang at Audio Sensibility an Impact OCC (Ohno Casting) copper phono interconnect cable to link my Gold Note Valore 425 to my separate phono pre. This wire has some science behind it and is exceptional in every way. Others agree, for instance Toby, the moderator of this forum. It is also available in a silver version. Gene Evely at Take Five Audio also sells this wire and like Steve Huang will terminate it any way you want. Both these guys are a gift to Canadian audio. Toby too!

Note to FLACfan: I have a V1 of the 2010S with a moving coil phono board. It doesn't jump to CD on powering up. It does soft thump when you push on the power button and this is pretty standard on many amps. Then there is a delay of maybe ten seconds before the speakers come up, and this is a built in safety feature. There is no audible whoosh but I routinely turn the amp down before powering it off. I don't use the Exposure remote, because the Cambridge Audio remote I use for CDs is (accidentally) linked to the volume control. On amps, I really don't worry much about how they function until blue smoke starts to fill the room.

Cheers,
David Neice

Always some good info from you David. Thanks, I'll dive into those suggestions deeper.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am 

Van den Hul is a very popular pairing with Exposure electronics, and for good reason. I'm not surprised
that Linn, Naim, Atlas, and Chord (all Brit brands) would come up - they all make lovely stuff. However,
when I paired my 2010S2 (and later 3010S2) & matching CDP with metal tweeters using some of these
(as well as Audio Sensibility Impact) interconnects, the results were just too harsh for me. The relatively
modest D-102iii smoothed things out nicely. When I changed speakers to something with a smoother
high end, it wasn't hard to find a good match a little higher up the VdH line.

I did find the Atlas and particularly the Audio Sensibility interconnects lovely for my Slee phono though.
Ultimately, there's no substitute for trying it yourself and trusting your ears. Buying used can save you
a bundle while you experiment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 am 

Thanks for all the info David. We should form an Exposure users' group, like they have for British cars.

shawnwes: not to spam this thread, but my amp has the moving magnet board which I don't need. I notice you are running vinyl and already have great phono gear, but if you wanted to simplify things I'd be willing to sell the MM board. I presume it works and could be removed and plugged in easily.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:53 am 

Exposure fanboy here going back to the John Farlowe days with, more often than not, Proac or Spendor downstream.I am currently running the S2 in an office system with Spendors and briefly PSB B25s before that.Based on a review of the GT 1 speakers which hinted at a touch of sibilance on some material,here are some ideas.....(no experience with Chord or Atlas)...

Cardas Golden Cross or Audio Sensibility copper Statement interconnects.
Here's where it gets dicey......depending on your sound preferences,source and access to 'lenders'......LFD or My Audio Cable (MAC) CU Copper would be the safe reco........ Belden 9497 & Totem Tress Bulk can pull off some inexpensive magic in the right systems when combined with the Cardas & AS interconnects.
IMO,the S2 is one of the all time value champs at anything near it's price point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 pm 

I have an Exposure 3012S. It connects to my Yulong DA8 Dac with a Rothwell Audio River Interconnect (these replaced, in order, Audioquest, Van den Hul and Furukawa cables). Best $120 I have spent on hifi. Go find it on the Rothwell website. It does exactly what it claims. For speaker cable, I use an older version of Van den Hul CS122 which has been a solid performer for me. I also have the original Exposure speaker cable but I found it to make the sound a little leaner with my Tannoy XT8Fs. This set up works really well in my house. (20ft by 11ft, 9ft ceilings, speakers firing along the longest length). I am skeptical about the benefits of spending $s on power cable as modern equipment is engineered so well. You also then need to think about the skinny piece of wire that feeds the power socket from your circuit board, etc.
G3 Steve