Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie Needs Advice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 am 

Hello everyone,

I 'm excited to join the forum and I need some expert advice. I'm very torn on a deciding between a Sansui 7070 in very good shape for $350 or a Kenwood Model 11 for 400 that is mint.I listen to a lot of vinyl mostly rock and classic rock. I was fortunate to acquire a pair of Klipsch Legend Series 10 speakers that I will be using. I am open and welcome to hear the pro's & cons and wisdom of everyone out here. I'm learning more every day and value others opinions.

Thanks in advance - Slino

Post subject: Re: Newbie Needs Advice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am 

You are in a no-lose situation. Both should have great sound and have lots of power. The issues with these old receivers are dirty switches, relays, caps failing. If one has been serviced with new caps etc, that would be the one to choose. Otherwise, audition them both, check to see all the knobs and buttons function and are not noisy...and choose accordingly. I have a couple of these era receivers/tuners and love their sound.

Let us know what you decide.

By the way, I rarely purchase something of this age without listening and verifying its condition. Also, if it has never been restored, you might want to budget a few hundred bucks if it needs it....I restored my Marantz 1550 and it cost me $400.00. And it took 68 parts to have it good as new. FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 pm 

Great advice , I will be able to auditioning both. I didn't even think about setting aside a "after" purchase budget. I believe the Sansui has been recently serviced but I will get the details and ask on both. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:55 pm 

If it is possible, ask the seller to pop the top for you. Taking a look under the sheet steel top cover allows you to see the condition of the innards. You are looking for signs of corrosion, dust, bugs etc. A restored one will look nice and shiny new. If it has had a "bit of work" done, you'll be able to see the new parts.

I thought my old ( had it since new) Marantz still sounded good; then I had it redone...and .....WOW! The best "upgrade" I ever did. These old receivers are super-sounding.

Best, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:45 pm 

I have a preference for Sansui. I have two vintage Sansui receivers, and I suggest that you turn the power on and off a few times with the volume at minimum to see if they crackle. This can indicate that the power capacitors are getting tired. Not an expensive fix, but the asking price is pretty steep (especially since I assume you are talking about US dollars).

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
I have a preference for Sansui. I have two vintage Sansui receivers, and I suggest that you turn the power on and off a few times with the volume at minimum to see if they crackle. This can indicate that the power capacitors are getting tired. Not an expensive fix, but the asking price is pretty steep (especially since I assume you are talking about US dollars).

Learn somthin new everyday! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:45 pm 

looks to be an even fight !!!!
but have had a soft spot for Sansui...but the Kenwood looks good too !!!

I NEED A DRINK !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 pm 

warhorse wrote:
looks to be an even fight !!!!
but have had a soft spot for Sansui...but the Kenwood looks good too !!!

I NEED A DRINK !!!!

Let's drink to that Sansui. :mrgreen:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 pm 

Slino wrote:
Hello everyone,

I 'm excited to join the forum and I need some expert advice. I'm very torn on a deciding between a Sansui 7070 in very good shape for $350 or a Kenwood Model 11 for 400 that is mint.I listen to a lot of vinyl mostly rock and classic rock. I was fortunate to acquire a pair of Klipsch Legend Series 10 speakers that I will be using. I am open and welcome to hear the pro's & cons and wisdom of everyone out here. I'm learning more every day and value others opinions.

Thanks in advance - Slino

Sansui all the way. Those 70's Sansui amps & receivers simply rock. The power supplies in those things really deliver some serious juice & sound great doing it. I've gifted a few to friends & family and every one had exceptional sound and build quality. My 2 cents...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

I'm taking my G5500 in for recapping and light replacement tomorrow...love it our secondary system (TV and party music) :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:53 pm 

I have used this Sansui 4000 receiver in my workout room for several years. Other than changing out the dial lamps, it has never been serviced. It is a heavy unit, and very well-built ... and it can rock and roll if necessary.

Attachments:
P1020929.JPG
P1020929.JPG [ 205.09 KiB | Viewed 790 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 pm 

...do you have a beer fridge in that room Mike? :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:58 pm 

It's my workout room ... no beer fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 am 

Hello everyone, thanks for the great advice!

I wanted to update everyone as I've hit a bump in the road and delay on making my purchase. Unfortunately I was hit with a huge Vet bill for my dog, good news is the outlook is pretty good, bad news is the bill is $700 plus. So my purchase is on hold for a couple weeks.

Learning some valuable things from you all about auditioning,looking under the hood, listening for on and off crackle and making sure to include a after purchase budget. Does seem like a even amount of Sansui vs Eleven fans out there.
Something new in the mix is now the possibility of looking at Pioneer 939 for $300 and a Sansui G-7500 for $450 or best offer. Man some big asking prices. Was curious if any fans of the the Pioneer 939 guys says its mint and he has done some work on it too. He's big refurbish guy with lots of receivers for sale and a good reputation. Somewhat leaning toward that since I believe there is trusted service done. I will still employ all the tips given on here so far but would love more opinions. Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:36 pm 

I too have a strong 'preference' for Vintage Sansui.
--
Therefore, all things being considered... If the Sansui 7070 Receiver is in really good 'Condition' --
That too would still be my first choice. :D