Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:07 am 

I sold a tuner ($200) to someone and he received it 5 days ago. When I gave him the real shipping costs, he told me my shipping price was too high so I finally accepted to pay $17 from my pockets to ship it.

He told me that the tuner plays well but narrow mode is not supposed to work. I offered to take it back 4 days ago. He wrote me that best should be keeping the tuner with narrow mode functionning. Today he wrote me he wants $50 for refund or return me back the tuner.

For those using tuners, anybody knows not to use narrow mode for serious listening.

It seems like someone who try to get something for nothing.

I'm not tempted to take back the tuner because he waited 4 days to ask me to do a refund or taking it back and I have to pay again the shipping for a stupid $ 200 sale.

Any comments ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:26 am 

think the guy is blowing smoke up yer arse....

narrow band is not supposed to work?! whats he trying to say?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:27 am 

Why did you bother with that buyer?
Couldn't find other buyers?
Payment, PayPal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:29 am 

Are you saying narrow mode works, or does not.
If not, how does he know? What is he using as an antenna?

As for refunds, unless you specify that there are refunds - you have no obligation to do such; unless you feel morally obligated to.

Last edited by JGP on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am 

do either of you even understand the purpose of the narrow/wide switch?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am 

He's talking about me.The tuner has narrow mode but it doesn't work.The OPs post is in error.Narrow mode is supposed to work.The malfunction was not disclosed prior to sale.I took 4 days to decide if I could live with it but I can't.I suggested a partial refund to reduce hassle and defray repair costs.I guess it's a stupid $200 sale to him because he has the money and I have a tuner that doesn't work as advertised.At this point I'd rather just return it.I think he should pay return shipping.

-- 01 Apr 2018 14:35 --

JGP wrote:
Are you saying narrow mode works, or does not.
If not, he does he know? What is he using as an antenna?

As for refunds, unless you specify that there are refunds - you have no obligation to do such; unless you feel morally obligated to.

ST2 on roof.Narrow mode does not work.Are you saying no obligation for refund if item doesn't work?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 am 

Interesting issue. IF the ad clearly states both modes work, then the buyer does have an issue. If the ad didn't reflect this, then I believe the seller is correct. I would split the difference and have the seller send the buyer $25 and call it a deal.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/EE-MU Teak/Grado SR325i/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:38 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
do either of you even understand the purpose of the narrow/wide switch?

Reduces bandwidth to improve alternate station selectivity.

-- 01 Apr 2018 14:39 --

cdnduck wrote:
Interesting issue. IF the ad clearly states both modes work, then the buyer does have an issue. If the ad didn't reflect this, then I believe the seller is correct. I would split the difference and have the seller send the buyer $25 and call it a deal.

Not totally fair but in the interest of CAM peace and harmony I'd probably accept it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:42 am 

Ask buyer to record video showing malfunction and post on youtube.
Btw, exactly what were the selling price and shipping costs?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 am 

deltaV wrote:
Ask buyer to record video showing malfunction and post on youtube.
Btw, exactly what were the selling price and shipping costs?

He was asking $200 + $35 shipping.I offered $220 shipped which he accepted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am 

I am not saying it's OK to sell damaged goods and not disclose it. I am saying that if the seller is certain it did work before shipping there is no obligation to take returns
unless you have:

1) agreed to
2) feel obligated to

In the same theme as another post - I'd ask for a video showing it does not work to eliminate any doubt of user error.

Purchasing used equipment involves some buyer beware. Shipping an item can be a cause of damage, so can user error, or the simple fact that vintage and used equipment can without warning fail. Remember, despite the fact that
Most transactions end well, or the fact the most members will resolve an issue, we as sellers are not store fronts and we as buyers are not buying from one. There is a level of risk.

I am sure you'll sort it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:01 am 

JGP wrote:
I am not saying it's OK to sell damaged goods and not disclose it. I am saying that if the seller is certain it did work before shipping there is no obligation to take returns
unless you have:

1) agreed to
2) feel obligated to

In the same theme as another post - I'd ask for a video showing it does not work to eliminate any doubt of user error.

Purchasing used equipment involves some buyer beware. Shipping an item can be a cause of damage, so can user error, or the simple fact that vintage and used equipment can without warning. Remember, despite the fact that
Most transactions end well, or the fact the most members will resolve an issue, we as sellers are not store fronts and we as buyers are not buying from one. There is a level of risk.

I am sure you'll sort it out.

It seems to me that in the time he owned it he never tried narrow mode and doesn't understand it's purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:02 am 

Buyer should be able to return it at his cost.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:04 am 

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Buyer should be able to return it at his cost.

Don't get that in the case of malfunction.But the consensus here seems to be buyer beware.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 am 

The best way to solve these situations is as I stated. Keeping in mind that it is the buyers word against the sellers , a fair resolve is for the seller to accept the item back for a refund of $220.00 but the buyer pay to return it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next