Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 am 

...hey...what do I know...I'm a novice at listening to music from my computer...but...last week after going direct from Laptop to my DAC for the first time, and being happy more about the success of the experience in terms of simply getting the music through and out of my best stereo system...a fellow cam'r afforded me the opportunity of plugging into the chain a Peachtree Audio T1 https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/t1-usb-s ... erter.html ...it essentially upgrades the signal from the computer USB before feeding it to your DAC...I loved what I heard...actually I was blown away...the sound of streaming music through the T1 enhanced the output quality BIGLY ( :) )...coincidently...yesterday this popped up here http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... brand-new/ ...essentially it does something similar to the T1 but also removes the power signal from the USB/Laptop via filter and runs off a 7.5 volt plug-in...having received the 3R early this morning (sometimes Canada Post stuns me...in a good way)...I set it up and was ...GOBSMACKED! ...though the Peachtree T1 was a huge improvement...the IDEON 3R helps deliver better imaging and detail...and perceptibly less background or "floor" noise (due to separate power source?)...no point here really...other than an expression of happiness...and a recognition of CAM as a great place with great people (for the most part)... thanks to mpublicover for the loan and the education...thanks also to Noteworthy Audio for an excellent transaction...

Cheers!

David

TAS review of the IDEON 3R http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... e-usb-hub/

Last edited by Stone on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 pm 

good to hear that it has turned out well.
have you tried other sources besides the sat radio?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 am 

I tried my disc drive/player...but it's shot lol...I'm going to sign on to Tidal for a free 30 day trial today or tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 am 

USB power is filthy and while some people ( mostly one person here at Cam) ( who loves Trump) ( and says measurements are better than listening) and ... well you know ...think that your dac is able to clean up that signal.
It's not, I have some pretty fantastic gear and have three very good dacs here and every one sounds much better when either the USB power is replaced with an Ifi USB3 ( similar to your device) or a very good quality USB to Spdif D to D converter . The converter is far more advanced in that it has expensive re clocking and a sophisticated power supply but the point being is the 5 volts coming from any computer unless managed and or replaced at the computer are sufficient noise corrupted to effect your dacs performance.

This is an ongoing and heavily debated topic but with all three of my very well regarded Dacs there is an audible difference and it's not because there is a problem with the dacs.

Having said that I have a new music server that is so good and has a power supply sceme so sophisticated that it addresses these issues I am currently experimenting taking in and out the D to D converter ( that replaces the USB power) and am finding a "difference" in the sound . Not better or worse per say but different just the same.

Anyway, happy listening

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:32 am 

...I think I got lucky in terms of timing where desire met with the right opportunity... :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:52 am 

Apparently they sold out so I'm giving this a go....https://www.blacksandaudio.net/digital- ... -reclocker

(About half price of the 3R MKII)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:57 am 

Moose27 wrote:
Apparently they sold out so I'm giving this a go....https://www.blacksandaudio.net/digital- ... -reclocker

(About half price of the 3R MKII)

...that should do the trick man... :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 am 

I'm using something similar. It's the Audioquest jitterbug. It's cheap and I've plugged a couple of them into my NAS and the Dac itself. A couple of my audio buddies scoffed at the idea until i unplugged them midway through a song. The difference was totally audible and was not just a "change" in sound but was better in every way. I'm sure the Ideon will be at least as good and clean up that usb chain.

Matt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:37 am 

Yup hooked up the Wyrd 4 Sound version W4S and was "gobsmacked" X2. Best $200 spent in recent memory. Well ok there was that
one other time in Vegas....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 am 

Righteous! :D ...and right on about the W4S too...