Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm 

Hi there - I want to upgrade my Marantz MCR610 - I love its flexibility but want sonic improvement. I am driving Totem Arro's with a Totem Kin Sub, CD would be nice but not a requirement - I also have a good separate phono stage already and a Project Debut Carbon DC. Any suggestions? - Use the Audio out on the Marantz for streaming and Cd into a better integrated or buy better all in one? Budget $1500 - used is fine

Cyrus One
Naim Unitqute2
Arcam Solo

Others?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm 

If you really care about music....

Marantz 2285
Marantz 2325 (with some luck)
Kenwood Eleven
Pioneer SX-780

serviced and mint shape
no remotes , no wireless with those

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 am 

deltaV wrote:

Marantz 2285
Kenwood Eleven
Pioneer SX-780

serviced and mint shape

What's with this " If you really care about music " thing? Those of us who do not own 40-year old equipment don't care about music ?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:48 am 
Premium User

aintnosin wrote:
Hi there - I want to upgrade my Marantz MCR610 - I love its flexibility but want sonic improvement. I am driving Totem Arro's with a Totem Kin Sub, CD would be nice but not a requirement - I also have a good separate phono stage already and a Project Debut Carbon DC. Any suggestions? - Use the Audio out on the Marantz for streaming and Cd into a better integrated or buy better all in one? Budget $1500 - used is fine

Cyrus One
Naim Unitqute2
Arcam Solo

Others?

I use a Marantz Network player on my main system and I was actually contemplating getting the MCR611 for my living room as it seems to do everything, maybe not perfectly but does everything. There are few and far between that will do what you want, however a LINN MAJIK DSM which will do streaming but no CD would be at the top end of your budget used...I almost bought one a year ago here and didn't - still kicking myself......they are wonderful units. I have used one with Totem DreamCatchers and also Paradigm Studio Reference 20v2

I don't know if the Arcam would be much improvement over the Marantz......to me they seem close too similar to hear a huge difference - the NAIM mind you would be a different animal all together - never heard NAIM myself though........

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 am 

triathleteman wrote:
aintnosin wrote:

Cyrus One
Naim Unitqute2
Arcam Solo

Others?

I use a Marantz Network player on my main system and I was actually contemplating getting the MCR611 for my living room as it seems to do everything, maybe not perfectly but does everything. There are few and far between that will do what you want, however a LINN MAJIK DSM which will do streaming but no CD would be at the top end of your budget used...I almost bought one a year ago here and didn't - still kicking myself......they are wonderful units. I have used one with Totem DreamCatchers and also Paradigm Studio Reference 20v2

I don't know if the Arcam would be much improvement over the Marantz......to me they seem close too similar to hear a huge difference - the NAIM mind you would be a different animal all together - never heard NAIM myself though........

Thanks for the info - the MCR610 or 611 for that matter does do everything - and the sound id very very respectable - and I question myself even as to if I really "need" better...you get in the cycle of upgrades! I would say it is very smooth sounding but just lacks some "punch" - the 611 has a pre-out so it it could be used in conjunction with something else. There is a Naim Unitiqute 2 for $1500 second hand I am considering...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 am 

Naim Unitiqute would be a great upgrade. Not only does Naim sound great but it also Totem's preferred electronics for shows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
Naim Unitiqute would be a great upgrade. Not only does Naim sound great but it also Totem's preferred electronics for shows.

I heard the Naim Uniti last week driving the Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs. Very impressive, my first time hearing anything from Naim. A really versatile and great sounding unit.

Oops sorry, I didn’t notice your budget limit of $1500. Still nice though.....

Last edited by spinaker01 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:38 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

HEGEL integrated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am 
Premium User

Prosoundman wrote:
HEGEL integrated

Agreed! There is an H80 for sale at a price well within your budget:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... egel-h80s/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 am 

I heard many hundreds of them;
Unfortunately in my experience almost all new school stereos offer little value compared to the best of old school;
Build quality usually not the same, lots of chinese "quality", and there's no life-like sound quality possible with the best of vintage.
The only problem is availability of mint low mileage condition.

milag wrote:
deltaV wrote:

Marantz 2285
Kenwood Eleven
Pioneer SX-780

serviced and mint shape

What's with this " If you really care about music " thing? Those of us who do not own 40-year old equipment don't care about music ?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 pm 

I have owned several of the all in one type options. There are few that offer all the functions you need although the Unitiqute 2
does and it is a very good one.
I found more success in overall sound quality through separating them though. I had been running an Oppo Sonica dac paired with the new Rega Brio and found that to be a much better combo then the Unitiqute 2; with a much lower combined MSRP.
IMO the idea of looking at an amp to pair with the Marantz will net the best result over a full all in one replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm 

ARCAM SOLO MUSIC ( the new third generation model)

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Mu ... sic-cs.htm

https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/solo-music/review

WIFIHIFI in Oakville has two new ones at blowout prices until end of the month ($1800?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 am 

Gunner wrote:
ARCAM SOLO MUSIC ( the new third generation model)

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Mu ... sic-cs.htm

https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/solo-music/review

WIFIHIFI in Oakville has two new ones at blowout prices until end of the month ($1800?)

Thanks- I sent them an email

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm 

deltaV wrote:
I heard many hundreds of them;
Unfortunately in my experience almost all new school stereos offer little value compared to the best of old school;
Build quality usually not the same, lots of chinese "quality", and there's no life-like sound quality possible with the best of vintage.
The only problem is availability of mint low mileage condition.

milag wrote:
deltaV wrote:

Marantz 2285
Kenwood Eleven
Pioneer SX-780

serviced and mint shape

+1 Somebody drag this guy out of the mid seventies. That stuff never sounded as good as we remembered it anyway. Sure there’s new stuff that’s junk, but there is a lot of great stuff from passionate designers everywhere (including China)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

Grant Fidelity W-30GT! Only on the used market and seldom available for good reason, the ultimate all in one.