Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am 

I wonder if anyone else has mounted a Nagaoka Cartridge on to a Rega TT (RP1) and Tone Arm (RB101) ? I have been wanting to say good-bye to a good, but not great Rega cartridge, for some time now. I am willing to try something very different and Nagaoka has had some really great reviews. I'm just wondering if anyone has done the same and if they encountered any issues with respect to the mounting and set-up? Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

https://www.vinylengine.com/a-guide-rega-tonearms.shtml

The cart will fit, but may need shimming or VTA adjustment. Check your compatibility. Frankly the 100 and 101 are a limited-capability arm. If you are looking to embark on upgrades, (as I have done on my P-3) don't. The RP-1 is an entry-level deck, and has a lot of limitations. You can find a much better deck which would move you well down the road.

I would not spend money on an RP-1....the results will not be what you hope for.

I tried a couple of carts on a buddy's RP1 for him. It was underwhelming. A more sensitive (and more capable) cartridge just highlighted the rumble and inconsistencies of the 101 tonearm. It is a matter of matching the capabilities of all the components in synergy.

Who is going to set it up? If you don't have the tools (scale, tracking template, etc) then you will have to send it out to a stereo shop. If so, they will set it up for you and set the cart up. If shimming is needed, they can do so. If VTA in the other direction is needed, your arm does not have that ability. Be sure and check before you buy. Compare the physical dimensions with your existing cartridge; if they are the same, you will have zero problems. If the Nagaoka is taller, you will have a problem Again, this deck is quite limited in adjustment and capability.

RP-1 is a great entry-level deck. Period. It is not targeted at the audiophile, nor will it ever be a super sounding package.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm 

Thanks, Brownslane, for the excellent attached diagram and info re: possible installation issues. I know what you mean about the TT being entry level, but a cartridge
is easily removed and would be useful on my next TT, which will probably be another Rega (P3), but not for a while, yet. I'm just looking to stretch my enjoyment, for
the next little while and have a bit of fun experimenting with different cartridge options.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:03 pm 

I have a rega planar 3 with a Nagaoka Mp-11 cartridge and I can honestly stated that it sounds great. For the money, one of the best cartridge you can buy for this TT.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:16 pm 

xs10sl1 wrote:
Thanks, Brownslane, for the excellent attached diagram and info re: possible installation issues. I know what you mean about the TT being entry level, but a cartridge
is easily removed and would be useful on my next TT, which will probably be another Rega (P3), but not for a while, yet. I'm just looking to stretch my enjoyment, for
the next little while and have a bit of fun experimenting with different cartridge options.

P3 is an amazing deal for a turntable and leaves a LOT of room to improve the stock piece. But, even absolutely stock, this unit will perform well above its price. It is a solid design. Depending on which arm you choose (there are great 250 arms on CAM for $300 or so)...just everything in this deck is world class.

Sad to say, the tonearm on your P1 will hold you back. There will be little improvement with the Nagaoka. Careful setup of the replacement cart will be needed. The 101 tonearm is not conducive to setup variations (in other words, if the cart is not setup properly and carefully it will sound nasty).

Give it a shot; you have nothing to lose. But budget in proper setup. This is NOT something you can just bolt in place. Setup should cost about $75 at a stereo shop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 pm 

I had an MP-50s and an MP-11 on Rega tables. Great carts. If you buy the cart from a dealer, and play nice, they may just set it up for you. Call and find out. Planet of Sound has it on their site for $190 which looks like it's very competitive. They don't carry Rega, but other similar tables - I personally don't know them, but I think they definitely have a clue.....they have a pretty great rep. I think you would need 4mm of shim, maybe. I would think you would be pleasantly surprised. It;s not like you're proposing to put a Koetsu on a Dual... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm 

Babi a knowledgable CAM member uses and likes Nagaoka cartridges and Rega turntables .
I'm sure when he sees this thread he will respond with some good thoughts and advice .
Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 pm 

Great cartridge, perhaps best at this price-point.

Go for it and enjoy the music. If you decide to upgrade tables or arms, you can always move the Nagaoka over.

In terms of installing, spend a bit of time and you can learn. However, most dealers if you buy from them should set it up.

Let us know how you like it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm 

Moved thread from Cables to Sources - Analog.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 am 

I have a Rega P3 and I used to have the Nagaoka MP110 cart installed. With the P3 you do not need to shim the arm, it fits perfectly. I assume the 101 arm height is the same. There are plenty of youtube videos to show you how to install the cartridge. I suggest you familiarize yourself with it. The tools to do so are really inexpensive and once you learn how to do it, you'll be ready to do it yourself in the future if you decide to upgrade the cart or the turntable.
The weight scale and protractor can be bought from amazon.
You can also take the table to a dealer to have it setup for you if you prefer to go that route. Many Rega dealers sell Nagaoka carts. I am sure they are willing to set it up for you, if you get the cart from them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:29 pm 

I am thankful for all of the good advice and shared experience re: this particular set-up. I'll be picking up a
Nagaoka MP-110 in the next month, or so and I'll share my findings re: the merits of this upgrade, as paired
with my Rega TT. Thanks Very Much All.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 am 

I sold the Rega RP1 and purchased a Rega P3 (2018) and installed a Nagaoka MP110 and I'm
very impressed with the particular magic, this combo makes. Very happy, indeed! I will be
looking to upgrade to the Nagaoka MP-150 as soon as funds provide.

Last edited by xs10sl1 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 am 

xs10sl1 wrote:
I sold the Rega RP1 and purchased a Rega P3 (2017) and installed a Nagaoka MP110 and I'm
very impressed with the particular magic, this combo makes. Very happy, indeed! I will be

I'd be happy to help you with that upgrade, especially if you wanted to get a trade value for the 110 :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am 

That would be really Great, Thanks. I'm still feeling the financial sting of the new Rega TT, MP-110 and Schiit Mani.
But, as I save my up my bucks, I'll contact you; might not be until the Fall, though. Have a great summer and be
well, Omer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 am 

xs10sl1 wrote:
I sold the Rega RP1 and purchased a Rega P3 (2018) and installed a Nagaoka MP110 and I'm

Very smart move. This deck will last you a lifetime; there are a ton of upgrades available for the P3 and all of them are positive. My P3 is pretty well changed. I used a Michael Lim poly plynth and converted to a remote motor. As well I have upgraded the tonearm and added Gustavo's dual-belt drive belt and pulley. Each upgrade was palpable and well worth the price. I am currently using a DV 10X5 and love it!

Well done, you made the right choice!!