Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Electrostatic woofer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:08 pm 

I’ve posted before about experiments with minidsp and panels. The theory is that subwoofers and electrostatic don’t mix because it’s hard to find a woofer that’s as fast as an electrostatic. But what about the other way? If you have an electrostatic subwoofer it should be lightning quick, if not really “sub” more like just a woofer given the frequency limits.

Well that’s what I did. I set up my quad 63s with a low pass of 100hz. They are,powered completely separately via their own preamp and amp combo. The signal is split from the player as the rca goes to the amp driving the the,woofer and the optical out goes to the dac and then to another amp preamp combo for the mains, a pair of Technics sb-c700. I was astounded by the affect. Given the ability to dial in the crossover and gain you can tailor the bass, but more importantly this is quality, high definition bass.

One big step closer to perfection.
Attachment:
11A9FCE4-766E-4634-B9DB-F693D6822F4F.jpeg
11A9FCE4-766E-4634-B9DB-F693D6822F4F.jpeg [ 373.09 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]

Post subject: Re: Electrostatic woofer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:32 pm 

That is so cool & a great idea. Love it when people think outside the box. Groovy set-up, but I think somebody left some gum on your left speaker.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 pm 

It’s a little present from my daughter. She tries to compete for my attention with stereo gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 pm 

malthuse wrote:
It’s a little present from my daughter. She tries to compete for my attention with stereo gear.

Well bless her heart....that is just beautiful.

:idea: Here is another one for you that should knock socks your off.
Now swap out the Technics monitors for your 57's. You will probably have to play around with the low pass a bit but when they sum it's about as good as it gets. Akin to a stacked quad of 57's.

Last edited by ecclectique on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm 

The trouble with the 57s is they prevent the bass from passing into the room. I tried with the 63s in the middle between the 57s. But you could locate the bass from each speaker too easily. I think there’s something about these technics, which are lightning fast themselves, that really lend themselves to this approach. The technics sound like electrostatics to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm 

malthuse wrote:
The trouble with the 57s is they prevent the bass from passing into the room. I tried with the 63s in the middle between the 57s. But you could locate the bass from each speaker too easily. I think there’s something about these technics, which are lightning fast themselves, that really lend themselves to this approach. The technics sound like electrostatics to me.

Yeah, They need to be adjacent to the 57's. Did you try putting the 57's in the middle?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:14 am 

Given the width and the spacing of the 57s i run out of room on either side. The 57s are rebuilt by Wayne piquet and his rebuilds are known for providing actually pretty decent bass.