Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 am 

...is there a way to accomplish this without a streaming device? More specifically...I want to use my laptop as a music source (siriusxm) and run it into either a coaxial or usb input of the onboard DAC in my Int. Amp...

Cheers!

David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 am 

Should be very simple. Are you using windows?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am 

Hi David. I am doing exactly that and really enjoy it. I am driving a Mistral DT-307B into a pair of Missions in my office. Using a HRT Streamer II dac. Surprisingly good sound for $500.00 all in. The HRT is a really great value and I use it with my laptop on my main system as well. Using good-quality USB and RCA cables made a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am 

What is stopping you from using a USB cable from a USB port on the laptop to the USB input on the amplifier? There are several different connector configurations, and it should be seamless. That is how my desktop PC is connected to my Topping DAC/Amp.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
What is stopping you from using a USB cable from a USB port on the laptop to the USB input on the amplifier? There are several different connector configurations, and it should be seamless. That is how my desktop PC is connected to my Topping DAC/Amp.

I think that's it Mike... :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am 

Quadzilla wrote:

+1 Yup. That's how I do it at the cottage into my ADL GT40, it's a pre/phono dac with a usb port. Which integrated are you using, do you have a pic of the inputs?

I believe the afore-mentioned HRT is a 'usb dac'. At home I run a laptop into an hrt via usb, and then rca out to a line input on my pre....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 am 

ok...I'm fiddling with a wormhole connector (usb to usb)...doesn't seem to wanna work...my Int Amp is the Magnum Dynalab 209 with usb port to dac ...plus 2 coaxial...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 am 

check and select on laptop that the output is to the USB port [not to your laptop speakers...]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:57 am 

Adaptors often don't work for some reason. I tried for hours to get a printer to work using a USB cable extension, and I quickly solved the problem by using a single USB cable ... and don't forget that there have been a few USB versions (1.x, 2.x, etc.), and not all cables or adaptors will work. A certified USB 2.0 cable should work though. You will need a single cable with the correct connection at each end. Also, I was very pleased with the audible improvement I got when I replaced the generic 'data' USB cable with an entry-level Audioquest Forest 'audio' USB cable ... well-worth the minimal cost.

Attachments:
P1020875.JPG
P1020875.JPG [ 306.95 KiB | Viewed 892 times ]

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

Last edited by Quadzilla on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:59 am 

Laptop USB hubs are notoriously noisy. I would personally go with something like the Schiit Eitr which takes the USB, cleans it up and outputs coax.

http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

I was going to suggest the Schitt, myself, modi 2, I use it for digital out on my flat screen to audio in on my receiver. T

-- 14 Mar 2018 16:42 --

I was going to suggest the Schitt, myself, modi 2, I use it for digital out on my flat screen to audio in on my receiver. T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm 

...thanks everyone...I think I bought a cable that is designed to do something other than what I need...I shall overcome :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 pm 

Stone wrote:
...thanks everyone...I think I bought a cable that is designed to do something other than what I need...I shall overcome :D

Young friggin' kids !!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm 

lol...I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to computers...my excuse...for most of my adult life I was with a large agency that had on-site dedicated techs...you just don't have that at home... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 pm 

Is the amplifier connection the same as the one in my photograph? That is a USB-B connection ... very common on audio gear. My Bryston DAC uses the same one.

... and NO EXCUSES !!! Excuses are for Millennials.