Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:14 pm 

I have just picked up the above. I am at least the third owner. It is a P mount cartridge but I can't identify what make. The manual states the original cartridge type was EPC-P23 and the replacement stylus is EPS-23ES. I am going to go with a new cartridge and was looking at what LP Gear had to offer. They have a Reference LP Gear cartridge with a Shibata tip that meets my budget. ($300)

Does anyone have experience with the LP Gear branded cartridges? Is there a better choice that I should consider. My taste in vinyl trend towards orchestral music. I will be using a Carver 1000 receiver. I see in some old forum postings that Shibata tipped styli have received favourable comments.

Thanks
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm 

Post a picture and someone will help identify what it is

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm 

pmclnja wrote:
I have just picked up the above. I am at least the third owner. It is a P mount cartridge but I can't identify what make. The manual states the original cartridge type was EPC-P23 and the replacement stylus is EPS-23ES. I am going to go with a new cartridge and was looking at what LP Gear had to offer. They have a Reference LP Gear cartridge with a Shibata tip that meets my budget. ($300)

Does anyone have experience with the LP Gear branded cartridges? Is there a better choice that I should consider. My taste in vinyl trend towards orchestral music. I will be using a Carver 1000 receiver. I see in some old forum postings that Shibata tipped styli have received favourable comments.

Thanks
Peter

Hi Peter,

I can't speak to the P mount style but I purchased one of their Vivid-Line styluses for the Shure M97Xe cartridge at just under $200 CAD with taxes, shipping & exchange rate. I used it for about 6 months and thought very highly of it. Would still be using it except I got a sweetheart deal on an RB250 arm & AT440mla cartridge & that's what's on my table now.

So many choices out there and rarely do you get to hear it in advance so do lots of reading and asking questions. Sumiko still makes some higher end pmounts I think. Others here will probably chime in with they're favourite flavours as well.

Happy Shopping!

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:33 am 

Thanks for the 2 replies. I thought about posting a picture but decided that it would not help. To the naked eye the stylus looks worn and the sound on the couple of albums I have played on the tt was blah.

I have sent an e-mail to LP Gear asking if any of their LP Brand cartridges would work.

CAM has been a useful resource to me since I joined. I read most of the posts and it has helped me figure out what kind of sound I want to hear from my vinyl. I have cleared out most of my long held "treasures" as I have slowly upgraded my equipment. The replacement vinyl has been chosen with more care. The end result is albums that can produce sound that I am amazed at. Even my wife was amazed when she recently spent some time listening to one of my new vinyl albums.

I see replacing the cartridge on the SL-6 as just another step in getting the SL-6 to perform at the level Technics claims it is capable of.

Thank you,

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 am 

To be honest a naked eye cannot really detect a worn stylus. As for Pmount cartridges there are only a few choices out there. Ortofon has already discontinued their p-mount line when I inquired to get one from a dealer but they still sell replacement styli which they share with the OM line. Grado is one option. If you know which make pMount cartridge it would be easier to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 am 

You can only expect so much from a P-mount tonearm, especially a linear tracking one; so don't spend a lot of money on it.

Audio Technica make some decent P-mount cartridges that won't break the bank.
I have this one on a Technics TT that I use for testing, and it sounds quite good.

Attachments:
at2.jpg
at2.jpg [ 256.36 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 am 

Look on EBAY...I bought a NOS Universal AT Cartridge with a elliptical nude tip for $50.