Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 pm 

I recently signed into Neil Young's Achieve site.
To me its sounds better than any of the CD's or records of his music that I have.
In fact to me it sound amazing. On my Proac Resonse 3's it sounds like I am sitting right in front of Neil and his band.
Like I can almost hear the space they are recording in.

Is this some sort of placebo effect? Has anyone else experienced N.Y. Archives and if so is it the cream of the crop? Is getting it via the net into my Macbook that great?
Or does good vinyl still sound better? I have not had the chance to properly A/B the Archives with CD or vinyl.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm 

Hello retiredelectrician

To my ears it is way better than my old Neil Young LPs. The sound on my Linux box is first rate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm 

Audio_Guy

I agree. Maybe a new pressing cut from the master would be as good if not better than N.Y. Archives?
Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm 

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pWcsviHfk

Last edited by speedy1 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 pm 

I love the Neil Young Archives, especially the visual that shows when you are receiving the maximum quality available.
I recently did an A/B of the online content vs his recent greatest hits two record set which I consider to be a high quality pressing.
On my modest system that consists of a DAC Magic 100 and a Pioneer PL-71 with AT-120E cartridge my ears could not pick a clear winner, both sounded very good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm 

retiredelectrician wrote:
To me its sounds better than any of the CD's or records of his music that I have.
In fact to me it sound amazing. On my Proac Resonse 3's it sounds like I am sitting right in front of Neil and his band.

Is this some sort of placebo effect? Has anyone else experienced N.Y. Archives and if so is it the cream of the crop? Is getting it via the net into my Macbook that great?
Or does good vinyl still sound better? I have not had the chance to properly A/B the Archives with CD or vinyl.

Thank you.

Yes it is hi res but you will only hear that if you have a DAC that supports at least 24/96. I believe the files on his archives are 24/192 and yes they do sound amazing. As good as any 24/192 albums from any artist I have downloaded on HD Tracks, and I have a few hundred of those to compare against.

Will be great when he finally publishes the several remaining albums he has in his archives, that have never seen the light of day. Neil says he thinks one of the unreleased albums from the 70s is as good as Harvest, and in that similar vein of music.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 am 

Audio_Guy

I agree. Maybe a new pressing cut from the master would be as good if not better than N.Y. Archives?
Who knows.

I think the NY ARchives sounds great. I have Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest, After The Gold Rush, Live At Massey Hall 1971, On the Beach, Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Long May You Run.. they all sound great. I also have some orig pressings like Journey Past.. , Decade (orig US pressing which sounds good), and more,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:37 am 

Thanks all, looks like I need a Dac for my Macbook. I will set aside $500 and watch what turns up used here on CAM.

N.Y. Archives may sound even better? Wow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
Audio_Guy

Who knows.

I think the NY ARchives sounds great. I have Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest, After The Gold Rush, Live At Massey Hall 1971, On the Beach, Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Long May You Run.. they all sound great. I also have some orig pressings like Journey Past.. , Decade (orig US pressing which sounds good), and more,

I agree. I picked up the new vinyl pressing of 'Live at Massey Hall 1971' and was amazed at the recording/pressing. Super quiet for a live recording. Great addition.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 am 

Thank you.

The quality of the recordings on the Neil Young Archives is absolutely stunning. It breaks all the rules, the notion that if you make 24/192 files available you’ve pretty much sold the farm. Obviously, Neil Young doesn’t care much.

I did a less than scientific experiment comparing a recording of a couple of tracks from Psychedelic Pill to what I had from recording the LP.

Man. If I could buy 24/192 files like that at a reasonable cost I would sell my turntable and records and never look back.

Edit: For some of us, we are agreed that a 24/192 (Ha! 24/96 will do fine) file can fully capture all of the “magic” of an LP. Case closed.

-- 17 Mar 2018 20:09 --

Thank you.

The quality of the recordings on the Neil Young Archives is absolutely stunning. It breaks all the rules, the notion that if you make 24/192 files available you’ve pretty much sold the farm. Obviously, Neil Young doesn’t care much.

I did a less than scientific experiment comparing a recording of a couple of tracks from Psychedelic Pill to what I had from recording the LP.

Man. If I could buy 24/192 files like that at a reasonable cost I would sell my turntable and records and never look back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm 
Premium User

Has anyone purchased and downloaded the high-res files and tried them yet? I bought Harvest from Acousticsounds.com and it dosn't sound great to be honest. In fact almost all the files i've purchased from them have sounded like poop... Differn't systems differn't Dacs all sounded poopy. The streaming site for Neil Young Archives tho does sound good on my laptop/headphones...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:58 pm 
Premium User

Laptop to Dacmagic 100. I'm having trouble streaming at the high res setting on Shaw 150 while listening to Harvest. Lots of dropouts then can stop altogether. The website's 320 setting is fine. Most likely the sound card on my low res laptop or the fact I'm using wireless. I can only use wireless because my laptop doesn't have a ethernet port. I'll try my wife's rocket later that has 12gb of ram to see if it's any better.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:24 am 

An interview in the Globe and Mail this morning with Neil. I tried to find it online to post a link, but only found the article about the movie Paradox which he acts and the movie is directed by his wife/partner Darryl Hannah.

In the interview, he shares his opinion on streaming services: "It's a crime. It's an insult to the art of recorded sound." Classic.

Enjoyed it, so I put the Massey Hall Concert on my turntable, and am once again amazed at how good this recording is. Going to head out later and see if I can't find some more Neil on vinyl.