Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47 am 

I am glad I kept my AR10pi speakers and my Linn LP12 that I bought new back the 70s. After a break, I got back to this hobby about 15 yrs ago. Over this recent period, I put together systems using mostly used equip. that I thought would be much improved over those that I had back in the day. In some cases, they proved better especially in electronics (amp,pre,dac,CD), but after going thru many upgrades, I started to incorporate my AR and LP12. I settled on YBA amp/ pre, and Accustic Arts CD and dac. I added an Elac310 bookshelf to the AR; this improved the highs and mid to levels that was unexpected and had not gotten from much newer ones. This combination produces exactly what I am looking for but was unable to be had from some expensive newer speakers I tried. I tuned up the LP12 and added a Denon DL103 mc; sounds great.

At least in my case, by experimenting, I managed to recycle some vintage gear that produces music that makes me very happy. I am wondering if other have similar experiences to share.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am 

I use some equipment that is quite old, although calling it "vintage" might be a stretch for some. ( I'm thinking of a 1973 HK930 receiver and a 1980s Klyne SK-5A preamp. )

It's certainly nice to find that gear can age well. Whether it beats modern gear is difficult to determine, though, and the comparison has to be apples-to-apples.

One way to do it would be to price-correct in terms of the changing value of the dollar, then see what a certain amount buys today and yesterday. Of course yesterday's item has been subject to wear and tear and can't be expected to show the reliability that compares to the younger item's. If we try to compensate for that in the comparison, perhaps the older item we choose should be priced higher than the new one, in adjusted dollars.

The devil of such a comparison is in the details.

Now what we all want to know is which older gear still performs at standards close to today's, at a second-hand price which will save a dollar over new gear. IOW we want to compare a new item with a used one at the same price or lower. Given equal performance, we'll buy the lower-priced one. Given equal price, we'll buy the better-performing one. But watch out for wear, tear and repairability !

You'll get a few suggestions here, maybe more than a few. But it takes a lot of experience and hunting to turn up the real gems. Some folks want to share those about as much as they want to share their best fishing hole. Unless they've given up fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 am 

My Linn Sondek / Ittock / Lingo is still the best-performing piece of gear that I own. It has had a few upgrades over the years, but it is from the mid-80s.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am 

Sure!! I'd love to battle an ongaku with my 60 year old Canadian tube amps and while we're at it lets do battle with an esoteric tpt/dac and my 30 year old Philips CD player!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am 

Other parts come and go but my Linn LP 12 remains the constant.I still use a Tandberg cassette deck from the 1970's as well as many various older Quad pieces (tube and solid state) , and a pair of B&W DM4's. Lots of other newer components have passed through my hands, but in one hand and out the other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 am 

Vacuum tube amps/tuners still going strong (after rebuilds) for 60 years:

Dynaco (amps)
Heathkit (amps)
HH Scott (tuner)
Pilot (amps)
Sherwood (tuners)

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 am 

I think you can look at it from 2 angles:
good for the price - my vintage ns-645 Yamaha speakers I use frequently, and know they are way better than 400+$ new offerings.
and just plain good - see the above comment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 am 

Hi,

Timely post. I just hauled out of storage my 40+ year old Spendor BC1s. It has been 15 years since we (WAF included) listened to them. Oh my god!! They may not test perfectly on spectrum decay analysis like all the modern non-resonant cabinet designs but those BBC 'lossy' style cabinets produce a mid-range to die for. For sure they are going to have their cabinets buffed up and maybe some internal tweaks applied. Lots of other speakers will be coming up for sale here at chaos manor.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 pm 

I am using a pair of Highly modified Altec 1569A Amplifiers

Attachments:
PIC #1.jpg
PIC #1.jpg [ 303.26 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm 

My Linn Sondek is from the early '90's, I'm using a '70's Kenwood tuner (KT 8300) in my main system, a 70's Kenwood tuner (KT 7300) in a secondary system. These tuners were some of the best tuners ever made and still are. I'm also using a '70's Kenwood intregated amp in my secondary system which sounds fabulous. The '70's Japanese made equipment still sounds great even today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

natedog wrote:
I think you can look at it from 2 angles:
good for the price - my vintage ns-645 Yamaha speakers I use frequently, and know they are way better than 400+$ new offerings.
and just plain good - see the above comment.

I agree...let me add NS-1000, NS-690 and JBL L100 which are in use almost daily for the last 30+ years

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm 

Stax SRA-12S/SRX-MARK 3 Headphone system ; ADS 1090/2 and Braun 630 loudspeakers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

Nice speakers. :D

Sgt Pepper wrote:
a pair of B&W DM4's.

Still have the original tweeters ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:23 pm 

Toby wrote:
Nice speakers. :D

Sgt Pepper wrote:
a pair of B&W DM4's.

Still have the original tweeters ?

Yup and they work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

new gear do sound better, but the money, fats say with his very unlimited experience picks in the following area.. sondek with arkiv b, ittok with good bearings, cirkus, large braced corner mounted plinth, and Naim 32.5 with mc card, hc, 110 recapped.

Attachments:
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG [ 314.18 KiB | Viewed 2306 times ]
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG [ 326.5 KiB | Viewed 2306 times ]