Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:05 am 

What do you think a normal discount to be at dealers for NEW products? Not talking about exceptions or close-outs / discontinued products, but standard discounts on new, current-catalog products.

10% ?
15% ?
20% ?
More ?

And just to make it interesting, let's do the exercise for 3 product categories:

A) amps & sources
B) speakers
C) cables

No need to analyse at lenght, just your past experiences or gut feeling!

My rating:

A) 15 to 25%
B) 15 to 20%
C) 25 to 30%

....and full list price, never!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:46 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

there's no way there would be a standard discount of 25%. how much margin do you think there is in these products? brick and mortar shops have thousands of dollars every month in expenses.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro
BBIC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:52 am 

That is a brand sensitive question. Not a type of equipment question.Different brands have different profit margins . And you have to realize that price fixing is a major part of the higher end retail audio market. Illegal as it might be, it is very much a part of the scene.I speak with a lot of years of retail ownership experience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 am 

I find that relationship with the dealer can play into this as well; but as mentioned earlier brand is likely the key.
Competition is different now for dealers with internet sourcing. There can be regional restrictions however I have seen how they can be circumvented.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 am 

No way to know for sure really......
There's to many variables ..........brand restrictions, area restrictions, quotas, supply etc etc
Full list depends ...........even on watches now if supply is low they command the full list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am 

There is only a discount when the buyers shows the seller the selling price at another store . Thus the seller will match or adjust his price to close the deal. That's why most knowledgable shoppers do their homework on line first then negosiate with the store for their discount.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 am 

Depends on the product. Some brands you wont get a discount on, and others 30%. And if it's on clearance even 40%. Establishing a good relationship with your dealer is more important though. Great service is priceless. I had a great experience when I lived in the Toronto area. After buying a couple things at a dealer within a span of a few weeks, he was then offering to let me take some of the equipment home to test in my own space before buying. That kind of trust and service is priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 am 
Premium User

Completely store and brand dependant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 am 

In the "old days" I would agree more with the discount idea.
In Calgary there were many stores you could deal with and everyone would give a break on the price.Once you established a good relationship with a salesman (store) they would usually give you a discounted price to start with.
Now I think you are lucky if you find a good dealer and should try to keep him in business rather than nickle and dime them.
I think there are almost more audio stores in Vernon than Calgary which is a poor comment on the state of b&m stores.
We should support the ones that are left when possible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:52 am 

I dunno man, someone selling brand new $25k devialets for $6500 so there's definitely a teeny bit of room there lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 am 

alboettcher wrote:
There is only a discount when the buyers shows the seller the selling price at another store . Thus the seller will match or adjust his price to close the deal. That's why most knowledgable shoppers do their homework on line first then negosiate with the store for their discount.

not my experience with it at all. This is counter productive to building a good relationship, which has been a better approach for me. I have also found this to extend well beyond audio.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 am 

bolly wrote:
I dunno man, someone selling brand new $25k devialets for $6500 so there's definitely a teeny bit of room there lol

Those were purchased as discounted open box, discontinued etc. I know for a fact Devialet does not have much profit margin at all. Some brands, as mentioned in all the comments above, are different and can accommodate a friendlier discount. Relationships matter with dealers that wish to provide real service as well.

I offer to assist with in home set up with new product before or after (preferable for break in) the customer has put a few hours on their system. This developments a much better understanding of their needs going forward as well. I've been blown away by how much I've learned within minutes of being in someones room that I've known every cable and component. Like them wanting to upgrade their amp and seeing that the first thing that needs to be addressed is what their turn table is sitting on. Can save someone a lot more than 25%!

-- 10 Mar 2018 16:12 --

mpublicover wrote:
alboettcher wrote:

not my experience with it at all. This is counter productive to building a good relationship, which has been a better approach for me. I have also found this to extend well beyond audio.

+1.

Big friggin' +1!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 am 

yeah well whatever open box or not that type of pricing is criminal LOL! show me where I can buy a brand new open box $100,000 Porsche for 70% off and I'm likely to buy it cash today! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:35 am 

Depending on brand. BBC school speakers such as Harbeth - basically full MSRP but you might get a break on the stands. Proac is kind of similar.

B&W I got a bit off on the in stock models roughly equivalent to tax.

I find greater discounts on the Chinese built pieces rather than those build in NA, Europe or Japan. KEF is more discounted now than when they were built in the UK.

I generally buy my gear new from local dealers and hold onto them for many years. I will ask for a better price if they can manage it (most of the time you get something) but this is always done in a respectful way.

I never go in to buy something at a dealer or on CAM unless I can afford to pay full price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:55 am 

A $100000 Porsche is available for 705% off if it has been re-bodied. or replacement vin tags.
LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next