Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Slow sales on cam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 am 

I had a recent sale and another active one where I’m selling very sort after speakers at rock bottom prices. Ive gotten interest but no one is biting. Ive seen other items languishing at give away prices as well. Is cam slowing down? I used to be able to count on getting rid of gear fast if I drop the price low enough.

Post subject: Re: Slow sales on cam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am 

Funny, I have been thinking lately there isn't much for sale on CAM these days and many items have been overpriced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am 

Aha! So you’re to blame!

I actually think it’s the price point I’m selling in, the 3-4K range. I find things start to slow down when you get above 3k. That being said there was a pair of pmc fb1+ at a crazy low price that sat for weeks. What’s up with that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Funny, I have been thinking lately there isn't much for sale on CAM these days and many items have been overpriced.

+1 From me...
Actually came across a used item yesterday that was priced more than new?!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 am 

malthuse wrote:
I had a recent sale and another active one where I’m selling very sort after speakers at rock bottom prices. Ive gotten interest but no one is biting. Ive seen other items languishing at give away prices as well. Is cam slowing down? I used to be able to count on getting rid of gear fast if I drop the price low enough.

I don't know which gear you had for sale or what you refer to as rock bottom prices so I can't comment there. What I have noticed is that vintage gear (which is what I usually look for) that used to sell for reasonable prices reflecting the age, now selling for ridiculously high prices. 40+ year old gear that sold for hundreds is not going to stir my interest when priced in the thousands, especially when there is no guarantee that it will continue to work without a complete overhaul. Some of this overpriced gear has languished here for months - as well it should.

It may just be a case of the wrong product at the wrong time. I've been watching for a pair of Heresy HBR, I or II. For a while there were lots at good prices. Now all I see are the IIIs and they are just too much for my budget.

Perhaps buyers are still paying off their Christmas debt. I know we are. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 am 

I don't think CAM can tell you if sales are low, medium or high at any point. I do know that the best time to sell audio gear seems to be in the autumn and pre-Christmas ( when the listening season comes round again ), and again once folks have their tax refunds in hand.

From experience I can say that selling can take along time, just as a buyer can search for what seems like forever for what she/he really wants.

I recently sold a piece of pro gear that had languished on the Interwebs twice previously. No idea why it didn't sell the first times — at a lower asking price, too. The second time my ad even managed to attract a guy who slagged the item and insulted me. I guess he thought he could get a better deal that way ! And then, when I tried one more time, months later, the piece sold in three days. Go figure.

It only takes one more person to conclude a deal. Unless they haven't started looking or given up, they're out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Canadiansnowland wrote:

+1 From me...
Actually came across a used item yesterday that was priced more than new?!

I recently noticed a well respected dealer doing that with a turntable. I wasn't really interested in the TT but brought it to their attention in case they had made a mistake. They replied the 'price would remain'. Wow, I thought what kind of BS is that. Clearaudio price lists are all over the place so anyone can look up a retail price!! They have since removed the ad.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am 

cryogenie wrote:
malthuse wrote:

I don't know which gear you had for sale or what you refer to as rock bottom prices so I can't comment there. What I have noticed is that vintage gear (which is what I usually look for) that used to sell for reasonable prices reflecting the age, now selling for ridiculously high prices. 40+ year old gear that sold for hundreds is not going to stir my interest when priced in the thousands, especially when there is no guarantee that it will continue to work without a complete overhaul. Some of this overpriced gear has languished here for months - as well it should.

It may just be a case of the wrong product at the wrong time. I've been watching for a pair of Heresy HBR, I or II. For a while there were lots at good prices. Now all I see are the IIIs and they are just too much for my budget.

Set of HBR I's on Kijiji Manitoba. They have been sitting there for a while. Overpriced for the condition IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 am 

It is most likely a combination of a few things,but I think that many people are starting to be extra Cautious about purchasing and even selling their items here on CAM mostly due to All the scams, fraud and certain safe methods of payments to send or receive for items that they want to purchase or sell. I hope that I am wrong because if this is so it may slowly spell the End for this Excellent CAM website.

Last edited by joseph49 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:49 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The store here has been the slowest it has ever been in the 6 years I have been in business. By far.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:51 am 

joseph49 wrote:
It is most likely a combination of a few things,but I think that many people are starting to be extra Cautious about purchasing and even selling their items here on CAM mostly due to All the fraud and certain safe methods of payments to send or receive for items that they want to purchase or sell. I hope that I am wrong because if this is so it may slowly spell the End for this Excellent CAM website.

That's not it for me...prices are becoming a bit too exaggerated. And these Windex bench techs are a joke.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 am 

It may also be possible that some folks have mid-fi gear available and have opted to sell on others sites where the traffic is higher, and it's more fitting of the gear being sold. Case in point, sold a Yamaha receiver and cdp off kijiji last week. Started talking audio with the buyer as he seemed knowledgeable and he mentioned CAM. As we got going, we both said we typically didn't sell anything mid-fi on CAM since it sits forever, when it can be gone in a few days on Kijiji. He then told me he sold a 20 year old Rotel amp via Kijiji the weekend before, and sold it to another person who was also a CAM member. We both laughed about this fact, but now that I think back to it, this may partly explain this issue, if not even just a little.

I personally think folks are selling the better gear on CAM, and a lot of mid-fi gear folks that once sold on CAM, are now using other sites due to length of time some pieces can sit on CAM. I'd prefer to share my low prices here when I am selling something, but I often sit in amazement that it's still available. I then list on Kijiji and it's gone in a week, maybe two at the most when it's an obscure piece.

I had an $800 set of Miller & Kreisel speakers listed for $99 here recently. Pretty well had no bites, despite these being very good speakers, and I felt a reasonable price. I also would have let them go at $80, but again no bites. Threw them up on Kijiji and had at least a dozen bites per week, though most were from Western Ontario which was not convenient. Sold them for $75, and the buyer (who was ALSO a CAM member) laughed in disbelief that nobody had bought them while there were on CAM. He said one of the best speakers he has ever heard, once matched with a sub.

I love CAM, but I don't even try to sell most of what I have to sell any longer as it rarely moves, even when I'm selling things at prices at half or less than the going rate. On another note, some of the questions I get from CAM members have made me lose interest in selling the occasional piece I have to move out for friends and family. There's a lot folks looking for a 10/10 item like new in box quality, for a low price. At the big K, that 7/10 pieces sells more easily for the same prices. This is not a reflection on CAM, but is a reflection of many buyers on CAM. Can make the experience more difficult than necessary! Just my two cents as someone that has bought and sold often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 am 

I've noticed a particular brand and line of Canadian made speakers continually listing for higher and higher prices here since the line was discontinued. I can't tell if they are selling for those prices, but I used to purchase the 2-way version used for $250 either here or trade-in at brick and mortar stores ... good luck finding it for double that now, even though the speakers are that much older than they were.

I find in general many of the Canadian products that I have been following in the past are listing higher than they used to ... perhaps people are discovering what a bargain these pieces are (my entire system is composed of these Canadian pieces), thus driving up the asking prices, so that they are no longer the bargain that they were.

The occasional bargain does show up, usually from someone unaware of what people will pay ... they disappear quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
cryogenie wrote:
malthuse wrote:

Set of HBR I's on Kijiji Manitoba. They have been sitting there for a while. Overpriced for the condition IMO.

I saw a pair in Toronto on Kijiji for $600. If they were $450 I would have moved on them. Then they were de-listed and now they are back... at $650. Not good enough condition for that price.

Last edited by cryogenie on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Admin

I can't speak to individual experiences and individual items because there are so many factors at play (eg price, caliber of pictures and the ad text, reputation of seller, expectations of buyers and sellers), but as an aggregate CAM itself has grown 5% YOY from the same period last year, and the number of transactions marked as sold has gone up even more. We're also seeing an increase in listings, shipments tracked, and invoices issued. I'm comparing YOY, so that it is a seasonally adjusted comparison, but some of the metrics we know about have gone up 20% YOY. The one metric that has stabilized is the number of replies per day, so that might mean that there are more listings chasing the same number of buyers, but the number of sales appears to be increasing, not decreasing. The USAM growth has been even more dramatic, and has (as we hoped) opened up the market of buyers and sellers to the benefit of users on both sides of the border.

Based on our data, we believe that if an item is listed properly, has decent pictures, is priced appropriately and the seller is reasonable in how he interacts with inquiries, then if a buyer exists out there that buyer will find and buy it on CAM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next