Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 am 

I went away from the audio world for many years due to moving away for work. I used to buy/sell a TON of gear....much of which I'm VERY regretful that I've sold such as my McIntosh amps (mc7106 x 3, mc7270, mc2205 etc) because I now realize that I will NEVER get these back. I was so foolish...including selling my Aurum Cantus Leisure 3 CA in poplar burl...what was I thinking??? My Martin Logan Ascent i's??? Someone should have stopped me!!!

anyway...I'm curious am I the only one here with sellers regret? I feel almost sick about it now. I was younger and driven more about making a profit off great deals I'd got rather than keeping those great deals because I didn't realize I'd never see them again. My Thiels, my Conrad Johnson etc.

I want to start to collect again, slowly, IF...and that's a big if....my new wife will allow me but I doubt it. I'm hopeful though LOL

I guess this post is more of a rant/confessional of an ex-budding audiophile whos' hoping to get back into it.

I'm working on finding a pair of Usher CP-6381 or CP6371 or possibly another pair of Aurum Cantus (I'd happily buy back my leisure 3 CA if I can find the member I sold them to btw...so if you're reading this please contact me!!!)

Other than these speakers...and i'll be working on some amplifiers, what other speakers would you suggest looking at for amazing sound without breaking the bank in the used market? I'm open to suggestions...and I love ribbon tweeters :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 am 

Pure-Evil wrote:
anyway...I'm curious am I the only one here with sellers regret?
Yes...that's why I never sell anything. :lol:

Welcome back, and good luck with your searches!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 am 

For ribbon tweeters some used Clements speakers can be purchased for reasonable costs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 am 

Pure-Evil wrote:
what other speakers would you suggest looking at for amazing sound without breaking the bank in the used market? I'm open to suggestions...and I love ribbon tweeters :-)
If you have the room, I suggest Infinity RS 8 Kappa.

Wait, I have Infinity RS 8 speakers. No, they're not to sell. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Nakamichel on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:54 am 

I recently posted about the quad s2 bookshelves. Stereophile reviewed them and heartily recommended them. I had them at the same time as Harbeth P3esrs and there was no comparison. The quads were a far more engaging and enjoyable listen. Not sure where you can find them now though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 am 

Sellers regret is very real for me. I too have had numerous kit over the last 15 years and there are items I truly wish I never sold as I have never seen them come back up for sale OR the price for these items now is astronomical.

To cite a few examples, I wish I had my Audio Note SORO SE and my Audio Note AZ-Two speakers back. I never see these items pop back up for sale. I miss my Well Tempered Simplex TT as well.

I also should never have sold my Tannoy Stirling speakers. To buy them back now would cost me 3x the amount I sold them for :( I sold them to buy my Harbeth M30s which are great but I wish I had kept the Tannoys as well.

Bottom line, outside of selling some home theatre gear, I try not to sell anything anymore. You never know when you want to swap things around to enjoy what you have.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:24 am 

First of all, welcome back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

What about using your blank page to try a totally new direction?

Rethink the source-preamp-amp-speaker paradigm?

How about something like these: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8f ... full-range

Driven by just this? http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... hord-hugo/

And this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-3125-11-6-A ... 2823750247

New audiophile model: data to music :shock:

If you don't like it, you can always sell and return to your previous path. :D

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 am 

Whether you decide on solid state or tubes, you will find some wonderful, affordable used amps capable of driving decently efficient speakers. I suggest that you investigate speakers with at least 90 dB rating.

If you have never owned or auditioned a good solid state Class A amp, either push-pull or single ended, check them out. With efficient speakers, 25wpc is plenty, unless you are intent on ruining your hearing and/or antagonizing your neighbours.

Preamps are another matter. Pots, stepped attenuators, relays and selector switches, even the expensive ones, may be degrading the signal. And, do you really need the gain, anyway? My own preference is a passive attenuator system, with none of the above to fritz the signal. It has world-class sound quality (ie, no sound of it's own), and the best remote control system and feature set that I've ever experienced. Many people pooh-pooh the passive approach, without every having one in their system. Don't be mislead.

I'm sure you'll have some fun over the next while, probably without spending mega-bucks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 am 

Yeah I've owned stuff sold it never should have
That's the way it is/goes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:25 am 

Hi,

david_big_ears wrote: 'What about using your blank page to try a totally new direction?'

++ to that. While you have been away there has been some progress. Several direction have opened up, such as high efficiency single driver designs powered by low output single ended tube designs. Also, some of the less expensive integrated amplifiers have proven to be exceptional, and some examples would be Exposure, Roksan and Sonneteer in SS and Musical Paradise and Unison and Leben and Line Magnetic in tubes.

I think, and this is just an opinion, that it would be a mistake to try to 'go back' and search for the parts you had; better to forge a new line and direction.

On CAM, in the last few years, certain older audiophiles have written about 'downsizing to their last system'. Some times this is caused by them moving into smaller houses/condo, and some times it is just to reduce complexity and focus more on music and play-back. Some of these correspondents are incredibly savvy about gear and have decades of listening experience. An example would be this forum thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46006

So, you might consider this approach as opposed to the 'Absolute Sound' damn the torpedos as well as the cost approach.
Smaller and well chosen systems can often be less frustrating because they are not expected to do it all and so can be selected and tailored to match user preferences. I would encourage you to make appointments at some of the salons in the GTA where a lot of gear can be examined. Audio Eden, Noteworthy Audio, Toronto Home of Audiophile, Mark Jones Audio are all good shops with a wide range of gear. Make a long weekend of it and visit the city.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

david_big_ears wrote: 'What about using your blank page to try a totally new direction?'

++ to that. While you have been away there has been some progress. Several direction have opened up, such as high efficiency single driver designs powered by low output single ended tube designs. Also, some of the less expensive integrated amplifiers have proven to be exceptional, and some examples would be Exposure, Roksan and Sonneteer in SS and Musical Paradise and Unison and Leben and Line Magnetic in tubes.

I think, and this is just an opinion, that it would be a mistake to try to 'go back' and search for the parts you had; better to forge a new line and direction.

On CAM, in the last few years, certain older audiophiles have written about 'downsizing to their last system'. Some times this is caused by them moving into smaller houses/condo, and some times it is just to reduce complexity and focus more on music and play-back. Some of these correspondents are incredibly savvy about gear and have decades of listening experience. An example would be this forum thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46006

So, you might consider this approach as opposed to the 'Absolute Sound' damn the torpedos as well as the cost approach.
Smaller and well chosen systems can often be less frustrating because they are not expected to do it all and so can be selected and tailored to match user preferences. I would encourage you to make appointments at some of the salons in the GTA where a lot of gear can be examined. Audio Eden, Noteworthy Audio, Toronto Home of Audiophile, Mark Jones Audio are all good shops with a wide range of gear. Make a long weekend of it and visit the city.

Cheers,
David Neice

Jeez David, I keep waiting to disagree with, scoff at, or fail to learn something from your posts.
I’m still waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm 

Hey OP, been a long time how're you? Glad to see you back.

I bought your Mac 7106... it's been with me for a few years until I sold that to Marc a while ago. Yep it feels a bit hard to see the beauty gone but Marc is a great guy and he came to my place to pick it up so I know our baby is in good hand.

Let's not regret what we sold. Any ending is a new beginning.

The best ribbon tweeter I've ever heard/owned is Piega. It's out of the world sweet high. Know what? I sold it too LOL. And then I met Harbeth and I"m a convert.

Enjoy the journey !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 pm 

Listening to my Leisure 3 ca SE all day with a little EL34 tube amp, 91.1 crazy sound. Welcome back! T