Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm 

This was something I stumbled upon. Class AB - not for use for my main system but thought why not try it out. Not that you can tell anything of audio quality through a video but I wanted to share. I was listening at high 70db to low 80db range with peaks of high 80s.

Just watch to the end :)

I was definitely surprised is all I can say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axph37Bfd4&t=46s

-- 25 Feb 2018 02:42 --

The amp was actually purchased for a DIY speaker I'm building for computer use but I thought why not try it out on my main speakers. I was expecting noise, grain..etc but very surprised to hear clean solid sound.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:01 pm 

Unfortunately I was listening through my laptop speakers
so the affect you are looking for is not there...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:04 pm 

I think the purpose was to show off how big the amp was, not the quality which is obviously lost through the video. Did you watch till the end?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:09 pm 

Exactly. For sure the quality cannot be heard - which I'd say is equal to a half decent 2 channel receiver (mid-fi) but the absolute ridiculous size of this class AB amp. Its highly integrated chip. TDA7377. I'm very surprise.

sthomas1049 wrote:
I think the purpose was to show off how big the amp was, not the quality which is obviously lost through the video. Did you watch till the end?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:22 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:

Yes I did watch it to the end...I do not recall mentioning quality, but volume could be an issue.

70dB is a normal conversation...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 pm 

Oh well true, but peaks of upper 80's is pretty decent normal to higher listening volumes I suppose. I did try turning it up louder and was able to get it to 100db but its too loud for me so I did it at comfortable med-high volume for my ears :)

I'm confident it can drive normal bookshelf / floor standing speakers to reasonable volumes and still sound pretty decent doing it. I'm tempted to actually build a proper amp out of it LOL. Linear supply, proper chassis for some shielding and RCA connectors for input and real speaker terminals . Just for fun that is.

AudiOhm wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Yes I did watch it to the end...I do not recall mentioning quality, but volume could be an issue.

70db is a normal conversation...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm 

Mid and highs are easy to reproduce, can low frequency volumes be achieved?

I like a lot of bass...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 pm 

Hmm I did not try anything too strong yet on the low end. I should try some deadmau5 or something like that :)

AudiOhm wrote:
Mid and highs are easy to reproduce, can low frequency volumes be achieved?

I like a lot of bass...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm 

Oh every site I know of lists normal conversation at 10db lower - 60db. Just an FYI :)

AudiOhm wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

70dB is a normal conversation...

Regards
Ohms

-- 25 Feb 2018 04:14 --

Just tried Deadmau5 to see if it can do some bass - and it seemed to have no issues. I'm starting to be really impressed with this little sh*t LOL. I'm sure sensitive speakers help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpdNzO7C1Vk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm 

svtcontour wrote:
The amp was actually purchased for a DIY speaker I'm building for computer use but I thought why not try it out on my main speakers. I was expecting noise, grain..etc but very surprised to hear clean solid sound.

There have been a number of amps like this over the years, Sonic Impact comes to mind, so does the DIY Paradise Charlize, Red Wine Clari-T, Texas Instruments TPA-3116 etc. The latter can be had for less than $20 USD and you'd be amazed at how good it sounds...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:27 pm 

Thing about this one is that its a class AB amp. Its what's pretty amazing. I guess its small because the power supply is not included in that size but still. I do have a few tripath amps but this is the smallest class AB amp I've come across.

Wind Chaser wrote:
svtcontour wrote:

There have been a number of amps like this over the years, Sonic Impact comes to mind, so does the DIY Paradise Charlize, Red Wine Clari-T, Texas Instruments TPA-3116 etc. The latter can be had for less than $20 USD and you'd be amazed at how good it sounds...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am 

The TPA 3116 isn't a Tri-path and it's the size of a credit card with 50 watts X2, but you're right, that doesn't include the power supply.

svtcontour wrote:
Thing about this one is that its a class AB amp. Its what's pretty amazing. I guess its small because the power supply is not included in that size but still. I do have a few tripath amps but this is the smallest class AB amp I've come across.

Wind Chaser wrote:
svtcontour wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 am 

And its class D vs class AB

[quote="Wind Chaser"]The TPA 3116 isn't a Tri-path and it's the size of a credit card with 50 watts X2, but you're right, that doesn't include the power supply.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am 

Nifty video! :lol:

Classical music, especially renaissance chamber music, is not really a very hard test. See if there's any dynamics left in thrash metal at the same peak volumes. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:45 pm 

Does most thrash even have any dynamics or is it just a great wall of sound when I load it into an audio app ;) Might be as much dynamics as pink noise. Not to say anything bad about thrash as genre but maybe just audio quality.

ripblade wrote:
Nifty video! :lol:

Classical music, especially renaissance chamber music, is not really a very hard test. See if there's any dynamics left in thrash metal at the same peak volumes. :)