Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm 

Some time ago I came across a video posted by Michael Fremer where he discussed his appearance as an expert witness at this trial. About 13 minutes into the video he gives a graphic description of how the first 2 minutes of the Bad song and how it will sound on a good system. The video can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHvOaUYwWQ

I was intrigued by his description and decided to play the vinyl album copy I have on my system to see whether I could experience the sound he was describing. Secondly since I am now in my 72 year I am wondering about my hearing. (Over Xmas I tested my hearing compared to the of my 3 young grandchildren using a record that has frequency tones on it. 15Khz. and up was no problem for them. I was around 6Khz.)

The equipment combinations I used were as follows:
Project 1 Expression Carbon TT (Ortofon Red stylus) paired with Carver 2000 or Yamaha A-1000. Speakers for the Carver are Wharfedale Sapphire SP89 or KEF 101 Reference. For the Yamaha I used the Wharfedale speakers. I also played the album on a linear tracking Kenwood KD-74F Turntable, using an Ifi Micro pre amp, a NAD T762 AVR and Kenwood KL-4080 speakers.

I am unsure as to whether the album is an original pressing. The codes on the album jacket make me think it is.

Each equipment permutation gave me a different result with the Yamaha/Wharfedale combination giving me the best results. However I can't say I experienced the 3D sound Fremer refers to.

I am therefor wondering whether those of you with better systems and better ears have experienced this song as Fremer describes it?

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:04 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The video is very much worth watching as you see Fremer talk about how he managed to get the problem of excessive compression of modern music, on to the public record in a lawsuit that involves such scenarios.

And how the publishing companies (defense) allowed the points raised by the prosecution to stand, but the defense demanded that all testimony and record of what Fremer brought to the court be expunged, in return.

The label discovered, to their dismay, that Fremer's testimony in open court, would likely be the precedent that ends the loudness wars and brings them all up to -and open to- being sued by the public and the artists.

See the link in the opening post for the video....

The end of the logic chain of dominoes...says..that suing the labels over compression... in a juried trial.. CAN be made to be successful.

After all, the label involved, one of the most major of labels... just crapped their pants and admitted it directly, via their actions in this court case..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 pm 

I would test your experiment and post results however the copy of Bad that I purchased never left the store. I paid for it, placed it up against the display and kicked into little pieces. Handed the mess back to a horrified clerk and left the store.
Cost about the same as a dbl rye in those days and felt so much better than drinking one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm 

Sounds like what I did to every copy of Bat out of Hell I came across as a youth. I've shot more copies of that LP than any other. Saying that, I find that MJ's "Bad" LP is pure genius and spin it on a regular basis. I don't own a digital copy of it as it sounds so "Bad" LOL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
I would test your experiment and post results however the copy of Bad that I purchased never left the store. I paid for it, placed it up against the display and kicked into little pieces. Handed the mess back to a horrified clerk and left the store.
Cost about the same as a dbl rye in those days and felt so much better than drinking one.

OMG :lol: :lol: :lol: