Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 pm 

Given the interest my "Cassette Lives" post generated, I am wondering if there are any shops in Canada that still service cassette decks? The one or two that were in my area basically won't touch them anymore because of the high labour costs and lack of parts.
So, if you have a repair shop that will tackle cassette decks, let everyone know with name, location and your experience with them.
For example a CAM member Nakamichel has offered to fix such machines in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 pm 

It will be interesting to see what shops are mentioned. Your timing is good. In the last week I picked up a Tandberg TCD 330. Cool machine, needing service. I thought about doing it myself. I watched a youtube guy servicing a similar machine. He hauled ass and did a fine job in 35 minutes, the video in 3 parts. I decided after watching it, it would probably take me a day and half to do what he did in minutes. I put the deck away for another day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm 

[quote="Vinyl Guy"]. The one or two that were in my area basically won't touch them anymore because of the high labour costs and lack of parts.

You forgot lack of interest!

Surely, you MUST be trolling!

Still driving your Lada?

del Sol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 pm 

J R Perry Electronics Ltd - 1171 Wellington St W, Ottawa, ON
fixed my Nakamichi CR-2A for a very reasonable fee.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:00 am 

del Sol wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:
The one or two that were in my area basically won't touch them anymore because of the high labour costs and lack of parts.

Still driving your Lada?

del Sol
Yes, there is a lack of interest because cassettes are not practical.
But the interest would be greater if more people could hear what a very good cassette deck can offer.
In the 90's, I had a waiting list to service tape deck. Now, I service only a few by year. The main culprit is .mp3.
Sad...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 am 

Nakamichel wrote:
del Sol wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:
The one or two that were in my area basically won't touch them anymore because of the high labour costs and lack of parts.

Still driving your Lada?

del Sol
But the interest would be greater if more people could hear what a very good cassette deck can offer.
In the 90's, I had a waiting list to service tape deck. Now, I service only a few by year. The main culprit is .mp3.
Sad...

Won’t dispute your claims of fidelity, but the lack of interest in cassettes is down to practicality as you quoted in your first line. Real to Real is said to be of great fidelity, but the format is impractical therefore no one but a small select few of enthusiast use it.

MP3 was just a stepping stone toward technology that has more practicality than physical media. At its introduction, the fidelity of cassettes could be compared to MP3. As technology with cassettes advanced, it became a higher fidelity format. MP3 is no different – as technology advanced, file and streaming based systems increased in fidelity. But the masses, which do dictate the progression of technology, do not want fidelity – they want practicality. Fidelity will come naturaly. Even if advancement in cassette technology was able to make it the best sounding format available, the format would not gain momentum simply because it is impractical in comparison. It may still hold well amongst enthusiasts, but as you pointed out even they are abandoning the format.

MP3 is still the buzz word with file and streaming based systems. But with time is will become nothing more than a distant memory. Future generations of music listeners will not know the format just as many current ones do not know what a cassette is.

Just to note I am not trying to discredit the cassette – I think it is great the format still has a following even if only small. Hopefully the technology will keep entertaining you for many years to come. BTW – excellent topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 am 

Sthomas1049,

you're right, it's why I'm developing my Dac.
I'll try to get some musicality out of those bits with a completely new approach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 am 

There will always be some people interested in "old technology" be it old wind up gramaphones, Edison cylinders or whatever. Lots of people will say "why bother?". If you have to ask, you don't get it.
A list of service centers for cassette decks may be helpful to those who want to keep their machines running.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:57 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
There will always be some people interested in "old technology" be it old wind up gramaphones, Edison cylinders or whatever. Lots of people will say "why bother?". If you have to ask, you don't get it.
A list of service centers for cassette decks may be helpful to those who want to keep their machines running.
Oui oui, bien sûr !
The 2 last Nakamichi Dragon I serviced, the guys told me pretty much the same thing; It's been years I was looking for a good tech for my Nak !

Beside full alignment, replacing the opa's with discrete transistors (and then remove some caps) will bring the musicality to the next level.
A good tech can do that easily. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:40 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
There will always be some people interested in "old technology" be it old wind up gramaphones, Edison cylinders or whatever. Lots of people will say "why bother?". :arrow: If you have to ask, you don't get it. ::

+1

Quote:

Lotsa things are not practical, and are collected and enjoyed....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm 

Fully agree!! My comments above was more of a conversation with Nakamichel. Not trying to discredit cassettes or any older technology that someone may value. I think it is great people still use cassettes for what ever reason they may have.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:35 pm 

Nakamichel wrote:
del Sol wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:

Still driving your Lada?

del Sol
Sad...

Leave them be. It's their loss, not ours. Obviously, he's trolling...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 pm 

Anyone suggest where I can have my Pioneer CT8R serviced? Looks like I require a belt change. But I am told it's not a simple belt change.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:57 pm 

Where can I have a Nakamichi RX-505 service in Montreal ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

Innovative Audio in Surrey B.C. still works on decks