Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm 

I am trying to output Radio Paradise flac from my phone to my SimAudio 260 dac .
I have the USB Audio player pro app installed on my phone and the correct otg type adaptor and usb cable.

The player will output files on my sd card in the phone no problem, but I can't output internet radio.
I can't find anything in the settings to make it work or any mention of it.

If I plug in the transmitter from my Nad dac1 usb wireless dac into the phone, it will stream Radio Paradise to my Anthem receiver which has the nad receiver plugged into it.
The NAD dac is in another system and I don't want to move it around or buy another if I don't need it.

What am I missing..
Is the app limited to stored audio output only.
Is there something in the settings I haven't seen.
Is there another app to try.

I'm not too techy so keep it simple please...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm 

The USB Audio Player Pro is a stand alone app that installs a proprietary USB driver overriding the native Android driver. It cannot be used in conjunction with other apps. Plug your phone into the DAC as usual then launch the Radio Paradise app. If it works you should be able to play FLAC files but the native Android USB Audio Class will default to 24/48 max.

If It doesn’t work, then the Radio Paradise app does not support USB output. Not all apps do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:00 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
The USB Audio Player Pro is a stand alone app that installs a proprietary USB driver overriding the native Android driver. It cannot be used in conjunction with other apps. Plug your phone into the DAC as usual then launch the Radio Paradise app. If it works you should be able to play FLAC files but the native Android USB Audio Class will default to 24/48 max.

If It doesn’t work, then the Radio Paradise app does not support USB output. Not all apps do.

24/48 would be fine, I beleive RP is streaming cd quality flac, not higher res.

The phone outputed RP on the Nad dac, so Rp must support usb audio output??? or there is something different about the Nad.

I uninstalled the App from the phone and the nad dac still outputs but the SimAudio won't pick up anything with or without the app.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/nad ... -converter

Last edited by allgonoshow on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:09 pm 

Yes, the app has to be coded to take advantage of Android’s USB Audio Class. I know not all Android media apps allow this function.

Also not all USB DAC’s support the Android USB Audio Class. Even with the USB Audio Player Pro app there are unsupported DAC’s. I have no answer as to why

The RP web site has other methods of streaming like VLC or Winamp if you can use a computer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Yes, the app has to be coded to take advantage of Android’s USB Audio Class. I know not all Android media apps allow this function.

Also not all USB DAC’s support the Android USB Audio Class. Even with the USB Audio Player Pro app there are unsupported DAC’s. I have no answer as to why

The RP web site has other methods of streaming like VLC or Winamp if you can use a computer.

Thanx as usual for your informed replies.

I am trying to simplify if I can.
The system with the SimAudio dac has a NAD C446 Media player with wifi, I play RP at aac320 from that. Sounds wonderful, but can't at this time get pc based flac from RP thru the c446
Was hoping I could use my phone instead, as flac is now an option for phones and tablets with RP.

Wifi is the the only input I use the Nad c446 for so maybe I could reduce one piece of gear, no biggie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:11 pm 

Do you have another phone or tablet to try?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:54 am 

This is the list that I referred to. To see if my DAC was supported.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/tech ... dio-driver

stereo3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm 

Good resource but they are only DAC’s tested with the USB Audio Play Pro app which as mentioned above installs it own USB driver upon launch. DAC’s mentioned here may or may not work with the native Android USB Audio Class.

One thing mentioned on this site that I forgot to bring up was to try a OTG cable that allows a separate power source – might work but might not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm 

I've been streaming from the Radio Paradise app on my Android tablet to a Chromecast Audio device. Although the RP app doesn't support CCA, I use the "Cast Device Audio" feature in the Google Home app for casting. Seems to work reasonably well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Good resource but they are only DAC’s tested with the USB Audio Play Pro app which as mentioned above installs it own USB driver upon launch. DAC’s mentioned here may or may not work with the native Android USB Audio Class.

One thing mentioned on this site that I forgot to bring up was to try a OTG cable that allows a separate power source – might work but might not.

If the DAC supports Android OTG it will say so in the DAC's compatibility list at the manufacturers website.

From the little research I've done, an OTG power cable will only supply power to the attached device, not the host, although there seems to be some variation to that with some devices. My Blu smartphone will not show it is charging, but the behavior suggests that it is. Keep in mind the Blu does not officially support OTG but will work with it to some degree. The Asus Zenfone I picked up recently has a far better OTG implimentation, will not charge with an attached power source unless it is shut down. Kinda nifty that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 pm 

You referring to the physical DAC specs stating it will support Android? I have seen a few specs that claim Android support but not all. My Teac makes no mention of Android support but yet it works both with and without the USB Audio Player Pro app.

OTG just enables the phone/tablet to act as a host. You can then use peripherals such as keyboards, mice or USB drives and digital cameras as some examples. But not all phones/tablets support all devices. Same is said for external DAC’s. Although in some cases the USB Audio Player Pro may support a DAC with it’s proprietary driver where the native Android driver will not. Few discussions over at XDA Developers if you care to try and navigate their forums (they are awful!)

I mentioned the OTG power cable not to charge the phone while in use, but to provide the needed power to the DAC if that is a requirement and the phones battery is insufficient

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:25 pm 

Thanx for the replies, did not have time to fool with this stuff today,
I 'll try my wife's phone for a test and I do have a Google Chromecast I can easily move to try as well