Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:44 am 

I have a Rega P3 (2016) and raised the tonearm up with a spacer due to new cartridge being taller than my old one. Got a new counter weight for the tonearm, one of the low hanging ones because the round steel knob the turntable came with interferes with the dust cover now that the tonearm is raised up.

My question is, the new counter weight is heavier than the original one was. The table came with a 100grams weight the new one I got is 133grams. Is there any harm in using heavier counter weight?

I was able to balance it out but it is right on the limit. The counter weight is pretty much up against the arm all the way.

I am still within the return window so I can send the weight back and get a lighter one, but if there is no harm in using this I'd rather keep it in case I get a heavier cartridge in the future.

What do you guys think? Heavier is better than lighter?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:57 am 

The ideal counterweight position is as close to the pivot point as possible, without interference with tonearm motion. If the counterweight doesn't bump into anything when it plays, all is well. I have a Clearaudio offset counterweight on my P3, and it is very important that it is absolutely centered ... otherwise it will mess with the antiskating and cueing functions.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:10 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
The ideal counterweight position is as close to the pivot point as possible, without interference with tonearm motion.

That is how this one is now. It doesn't bump into anything when it plays but the arm can not be lifted as high up as before. Still plenty of movement above the record when I lift it just not as much as before because the weight is so close.
Also the tracking force fine tune dial on the arm is maxed out in order to have the correct tracking force for my cart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 am 

The new counterweight will work well with MC cartridges but the other may be better with a MM cartridge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 am 

Krisztian wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
The ideal counterweight position is as close to the pivot point as possible, without interference with tonearm motion.

That is how this one is now. It doesn't bump into anything when it plays but the arm can not be lifted as high up as before. Still plenty of movement above the record when I lift it just not as much as before because the weight is so close.
Also the tracking force fine tune dial on the arm is maxed out in order to have the correct tracking force for my cart.

You don't say what cartridge you are using, but you might be able to add a bit of weight to the headshell so that you can move the counterweight back a bit. I don't recommend this though if you have a high-compliance cartridge. Offset counterweights do limit the amount of tonearm lift, but how much do you really need anyway?

Also, the best way to set the RB300 tonearm is to set the dial to its maximum tracking weight, then adjust the counterweight to get the desired tracking force. The RB300 uses a spring in the tracking force mechanism, and this isn't ideal. Setting the weight to maximum will negate the effect of the spring.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 am 

I am using a Dynavector 10x5 HOMC cartridge.
I would stay away from adding extra weight to the headshell.
Just to clarify this is the RB330 tonearm not the RB300. Not familiar with the RB300 but I assume the tracking force adjuster is similar.

Thanks for all input, greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am 

Krisztian wrote:
I am using a Dynavector 10x5 HOMC cartridge.
I would stay away from adding extra weight to the headshell.
Just to clarify this is the RB330 tonearm not the RB300. Not familiar with the RB300 but I assume the tracking force adjuster is similar.

Thanks for all input, greatly appreciate it.

I wouldn't add any weight, but you should try the tracking force adjustment I described.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 am 

You can make a heavier counter weight any weight you want with a flat belt sander and a digital scale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 am 

Krisztian wrote:
I have a Rega P3 (2016) and raised the tonearm up with a spacer due to new cartridge being taller than my old one. Got a new counter weight for the tonearm, one of the low hanging ones because the round steel knob the turntable came with interferes with the dust cover now that the tonearm is raised up.

My question is, the new counter weight is heavier than the original one was. The table came with a 100grams weight the new one I got is 133grams. Is there any harm in using heavier counter weight?

I was able to balance it out but it is right on the limit. The counter weight is pretty much up against the arm all the way.

I am still within the return window so I can send the weight back and get a lighter one, but if there is no harm in using this I'd rather keep it in case I get a heavier cartridge in the future.

What do you guys think? Heavier is better than lighter?
So long as you don't anticipate needing a higher VTF with a lighter cartridge in the future you should be good. A Denon DL-103 may not work in this case, unless it's potted in a heavier body, for example.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The best place to have that counterweight is as close to the bearing pivot point as is possible. So you got lucky in this case/example/pairing.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

It has to do with motional mass vs space traveled through. Inertia. Acceleration.

The counterweight being closest to the pivot point puts the mass basically...on the fulcrum, and thus the inertial aspects of the counterweight mass (in relationship to the cartridge/record as a dynamic system) are slightly more favorable to keeping the tip/stylus/cantilever/suspension..in slightly better dynamic conditions of in-situ operation. This may not be true in all situations but it is in the vast majority. It definitely changes the dynamic response of the cartridge/arm in the given resonance excitation ranges.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Also, the best way to set the RB300 tonearm is to set the dial to its maximum tracking weight, then adjust the counterweight to get the desired tracking force. The RB300 uses a spring in the tracking force mechanism, and this isn't ideal. Setting the weight to maximum will negate the effect of the spring.

I am sorry but I am not quiet understanding what you mean.
I currently have my dial tracking force adjuster on the tonearm set to the maximum, and the counter weight close to the pivot point as possible that still allows me to lift the arm up freely but the arm doesn't go all the way to it's top limit because the weight prevents it.
If I move the weight back a bit so it doesn't interfere at all with the arm than I Can not get the tracking force I need.

I usually get the tracking force dial to zero than move weight in a position so the tonearm is balanced, than set the tracking force with the dial. But like I said earlier can not do that this time because the dial has to be on 2 (out of 4) in order to balance the arm, than I have to move the dial to 4 in order to get the proper tracking force. My anti skate is set to max 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am 

I just had the same problem with my Empire 598. I wrapped 15grams of duct seal around the counterweight and everything is fine. The counterweight is now very close to the pivot where it belongs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

when the spring is loose (0g), it is more resonant.. when under tension, it is slightly less resonant.

Not negated, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:24 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
when the spring is loose (0g), it is more resonant.. when under tension, it is slightly less resonant.

Not negated, but better.

I see
Thanks for the explonation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 am 

I thought the Rega spring was loose at max VTF? It may be more resonant, but it's also mechanically decoupled from the wand, so has less influence on the sound.