Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:48 am 

Hi, I am wanting to personally take on the challenge of replacing my old cd laser optical pick up in my pioneer pd7050 cd player. But definitely don't want to burn out or fry my new pioneer optical laser pick up. It looks like the optical pickup is grounded to the chassis by a sort black wire screwed to the chassis. But when I remove the pickup. You will half to unscrew this wire. So I was going to try and be very safe and use a wrist grounding strap that goes around your wrist,and grounds with an alligator clip to the chassis. I have never done this or used a grounding strap,and have heard that the cd player should be plugged in with the power button off.How will this make a difference if the cd player doesn't have a 3 prong end that can ground in the wall. Is this the real way or doing it.Or do you just leave it unplugged. I need to know the 100% truth or its goodbye laser eye,and they are pretty expensive,and super hard to get. Pretty much discontinued.Also when I check.There seems to be quite a few grounding straps. Which do you guys recommend that is good quality for the money,and really works. Thanks in advance for everyones help. This is not taken for granted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:25 pm 

Who told you to disassemble a component while plugged in?!

Strap to chassis ... don't forget to sand wrist for good connection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm 

There are mats that can be used to lay the item on it and a corded wire with a strap to ground you to the mat . Usually its just for static electricity discharge. U can get them at any electronics component store.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:40 pm 

alboettcher wrote:
There are mats that can be used to lay the item on it and a corded wire with a strap to ground you to the mat . Usually its just for static electricity discharge. U can get them at any electronics component store.

At our test bench, we use the grounding mat and attach it by wire to the cold water main. You can also run a grounding wire to the cold water main and attach it to a grounding wristband. Your house is grounded to the cold water main...
And our purpose, as another poster said, is to avoid transferring a static charge to the board that may damage it. I agree with the other poster, unplug it.

We purchase stuff like that locally at Sayal, but you can probably buy it an any electronics hobby shop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 pm 

Make sure you can reach your butt to kiss it goodbye!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:53 am 

Hi, Sorry for the late reply,Just getting back in.To the one poster what is meant when you said (don't forget to sand wrist for good connection)Does that mean to shave all your hair off where the wrist strap goes. Also to get the antistatic effect from the antistatic wrist strap,Does the wrist strap half to be tightened super tight to the wrist,or can it be a little loose on your wrist where you could spin it.or does it matter.If there is a best way to have it tightened on your wrist.I'd like to get it right the first time.Also I'm totally new to this.WHat was meant by ground to your cold water. Closest thing to cold water I have in my house is the copper pipes under my kitchen sink.As for the last poster.I'm fairly flexable,but not flexable to bend far enough over to kiss my ass goodby .So I'm back today to confirm things for certain.Anything that looks missed .Feel free to chime in on this.Thanks a lot for everyones help so far. It is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:41 pm 

Just use a bit of lotion where the wrist strap goes. I usually wear the strap with the point where the wire and strap connect (usually a button snap) inside my palm and the strap going around the back of my hand.
We have to do an ESD Precaution refresher course every two years where I work. Our straps have to be tested and logged daily.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm 

Never done this before? Heck of an entry project for a novice, so...
1- don't work on it plugged in.
2- repeat #1
3- read the part on the case where it says never open while operating... Not even accidently, because you decide to ignore #1. Accidental operation of the laser without cover can, will, cause eye damage.

Ok, grounding your wrist.. has been covered. Copper pipe is a normal access point.
There are other methods, but not going to talk you through them this time.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 pm 

Here's a tutorial that may help explain the process better.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPoJtt3X5SA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 am 

When installing a cpu in a computer, I used to wrap a bare wire end snugly around my baby finger and attach the other end under a receptacle cover screw on a wall outlet. Cheap solution.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 am 

Hi, After reading all your great posts,and links I have things clarified now. Thanks to everyone for all your help.Enjoy your day.