It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bernstein 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am 

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/album/bernstein-100.html

DG going all out.

Post subject: Re: Bernstein 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:51 pm 

Would be interesting for Bernstein fans. I like how they explain the digital remastering was done at 352 DXD to capture transients on the tape that the Nyquist limit of a CD can't reproduce, then release them as a CD box set...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm 

Guess you will only be happy when (and if) they release it all on vinyl.

What is wrong with Nyquist BTW?

:shock:

Last edited by PBB on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm 

yes, SACDs will be nice....as they did in Japan with just some of them from the DG catalogue....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 pm 

SACDs are delightful, and chicken is nice with palm butter and rice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm 

Don't understand the point of the discussion: why not just acknowledge Lennie was a masterful composer; superb interpreter of others' music, and with a style and personality than was unique and quite the equal of his transatlantic peer Karajan?

why not suggest other musicians worthy of his place in the musical world?

I'm looking forward his Shostakovich Seventh, and wish I had kept the pairing of the Fifth, and Ninth, and always happy to hear his take on Aaron Copland.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

concerto wrote:
Don't understand the point of the discussion: why not just acknowledge Lennie was a masterful composer; superb interpreter of others' music, and with a style and personality than was unique and quite the equal of his transatlantic peer Karajan?

why not suggest other musicians worthy of his place in the musical world?

I'm looking forward his Shostakovich Seventh, and wish I had kept the pairing of the Fifth, and Ninth, and always happy to hear his take on Aaron Copland.

Well it veered off on the technical aspects of the remastering.

My point was simply in letting people here know that:

"Deutsche Grammophon is marking the Leonard Bernstein centenary (25 August 2018) in suitably monumental style. For the first time, Bernstein’s complete works will be available on CD in a single boxed set, as will his legacy as a conductor.

In addition there will be a series of spectacular new releases and reissues reflecting some of the many high points of this multifaceted musician’s rich and varied career – the legendary Beethoven recordings of the 1970s, for example, as well as previously unreleased live recordings from Tanglewood, Mass with Yannick Nézet-Séguin and, of course, examples of Bernstein’s celebrated work in musical theatre.".

The detail's of remastering are an interesting aside.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 pm 

PBB wrote:
ripblade wrote:
I like how they explain the digital remastering was done at 352 DXD to capture transients on the tape that the Nyquist limit of a CD can't reproduce.
The CD's sampling frequency is 44.1 khz. A CD can not then play a frequency higher than 22,050khz. (Nyquist limit = fs/2)
...or a transient higher(faster) than the rise time of a frequency of 22.050khz sampled at 44.1khz.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm 

True true I was not privy to that release info....

the last big box I bought was dedicated to Dieter FD, and I don't speak German;
every so often I will get wind of something like a Japanese pressing of Karajan and a Shostakovich, and think, Poor bugger, the site only allows him to charge $3.49 S&H,

and then there are those magical moments when you find a RCA Living Sound SACD with violin works by Bach, Mozart and Brahms ....

so ultimately your listening pleasure, that sense of discovery then well being is not wholly dependent on size or cost, Cheers!

And yeah, I'm nowhere near to completing that DFD collection, and have yet to figure out how to secure the texts and translations online

And that old Denon pressing of Israeli born Inbal conducting the Shostakovich Seventh "Leningrad" keeps playing in my little noggin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Would be interesting for Bernstein fans. I like how they explain the digital remastering was done at 352 DXD to capture transients on the tape that the Nyquist limit of a CD can't reproduce, then release them as a CD box set...

well like everything else in Audio, it's about what you think you hear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm 

sorry to de-rail, but for concerto guy....https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-fi ... 7222?mt=11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:25 pm 

Nakamichel wrote:
PBB wrote:
ripblade wrote:
I like how they explain the digital remastering was done at 352 DXD to capture transients on the tape that the Nyquist limit of a CD can't reproduce.
The CD's sampling frequency is 44.1 khz. A CD can not then play a frequency higher than 22,050khz. (Nyquist limit = fs/2)
...or a transient higher(faster) than the rise time of a frequency of 22.050khz sampled at 44.1khz.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,8177.0.html

Too much for me to read. I still don't get too too excited about the possibility that even the finest human ears can pick up anything above 20 kHz. As far as the issue with brick wall filters I was led to believe that problem was solved long ago.

I will just give the benefit of the doubt to the people at DG and hope that they are not simply playing to the audiophile gallery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:28 pm 

libor wrote:
sorry to de-rail, but for concerto guy....https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-fi ... 7222?mt=11

Much appreciated....
Another SF owner I think
Box numbered 33 CDs or some absurd number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

PBB wrote:
Nakamichel wrote:
I still don't get too too excited about the possibility that even the finest human ears can pick up anything above 20 kHz.
Transcient has nothing to do with high freq. or the 20khz...

You have to see it that way: when a note of 12khz is 'riding' another note of let's say 10khz, the total rising time equals the rising time of a simple note of 22khz.
It's then why a CD is limited in transients. Those aforementioned notes are truncated when played at 44.1khz. Making the sound more harsch and a bit sibilant,
because the filters have difficulty to 'restore' the waves. That phenomenon doesn't happen, sorry, is not perceived at 192khz...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm 

PBB wrote:
Guess you will only be happy when (and if) they release it all on vinyl.

:shock:

Nothing, if you're happy with CD sound. I'm glad the engineers at DGG had the good sense to digitize the tapes at the highest resolution possible in order to fully preserve the information they contain. What concerns me is the marketing emphasis on going back to the original analogue masters and copying them at high rez only to release them in a standard format which they concede reduces fidelity. To read the file properties of the track listing one might conclude what they're getting is AAA, but of course it's only ADD, and not even the highest at that.

And yes, the vinyl would be nice to have and hold, provided it was cut from the DXD and not the CD master. It matters little to me whether I can hear everything in the capture, but I do like to know I have it all, especially when the marketing department is suggesting it's better to have it all.

-- 24 Feb 2018 19:48 --

Nakamichel wrote:
PBB wrote:
Nakamichel wrote:
I still don't get too too excited about the possibility that even the finest human ears can pick up anything above 20 kHz.
Transcient has nothing to do with high freq. or the 20khz...

You have to see it that way: when a note of 12khz is 'riding' another note of let's say 10khz, the total rising time equals the rising time of a simple note of 22khz.
It's then why a CD is limited in transients. Those aforementioned notes are truncated when played at 44.1khz. Making the sound more harsch and a bit sibilant,
because the filters have difficulty to 'restore' the waves. That phenomenon doesn't happen, sorry, is not perceived at 192khz...

If only we could show the world what music looks like on an o'scope set to a 22kHz sweep. We wouldn't be having this discussion...

And to all you Lennie fans I apologise for derailing the thread. I didn't even know he recorded a cycle of the Beethoven symphonies.....goes to show what I know...