Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 pm 

Has any other Pi-heads tried the latest version of Moode Audio ?

I had version 3.8.4 working well, but development after that has been directed into v4. Which means a lot, because in order to comply with licensing terms it has been changed from a bootable image, into a collection of source files to be installed on an existing raspian-stretch-lite operating system. There is an installation script that will ostensibly do the hard work over the internet, mine is underway.

Curious if anyone else has tried. I see that there may be an in-place upgrade available once v4 develops but for now it's not as simple as it once was.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

Yes, I had looked at it and thought it's not as simple as it used to be to install. I'll revisit it when I have more time.

On the other hand Volumio's current installation for Pi and PC is still simple, but they have done some major upgrades.

Spotify and a few other plugins are now available. I had kind of given up on the Pi for a while.

Volumio currently sounds really good, both for Pi and PC. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm 

tardis26 wrote:
Yes, I had looked at it and thought it's not as simple as it used to be to install. I'll revisit it when I have more time.

On the other hand Volumio's current installation for Pi and PC is still simple, but they have done some major upgrades.

Spotify and a few other plugins are now available. I had kind of given up on the Pi for a while.

Volumio currently sounds really good, both for Pi and PC. :D

As it happens my first attempt at install seems to have worked OK, still have to attach a library and test it out. Basically all I did was get the 2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip file (the only version recommended) off the Raspberry site and extract and image the microsd card with it. Boot up and log in. Use a wired connection.

Then ran the commands that Moode lists on the Support section of their website. I didn't use SSH because I connected a monitor and keyboard.

Enter the cmds below via SSH on a Pi running Raspbian Stretch Lite release 2017-11-29.
NOTE: No other release is guaranteed to work.

1. Download the Image Builder version 2.2

cd /home/pi
sudo wget -q http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/mos/mosbuild.sh -O /home/pi/mosbuild.sh
sudo chmod +x /home/pi/mosbuild.sh

2. Start the Image Builder

sudo ./mosbuild.sh

After that it took between an hour and hour and a half. Had to do the basic configuration for the hardware, but so far so good. Pretty painless.

I tried Volumio when I first got my Pi setup but the kernel at the time didn't support the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro. I would imagine they have updated by now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

I've been tempted to play around with a Pi for streaming audio. I figure that even if it's a complete failure, it's not so expensive that I can't afford to try it.

What do people think is the best way to get sound to a DAC? Is HifiBerry still the go to solution?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the instruction, airdronian, I'll have a go at it on the weekend. Let us know how it sounds.

-- Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 pm --

dcrooks wrote:
I've been tempted to play around with a Pi for streaming audio. I figure that even if it's a complete failure, it's not so expensive that I can't afford to try it.

What do people think is the best way to get sound to a DAC? Is HifiBerry still the go to solution?

You have quite a few options. HifiBerry is good. You could also try I2S dac from Iqaudio. (see link below).

http://iqaudio.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:22 pm 

tardis26 wrote:
Thanks for the instruction, airdronian, I'll have a go at it on the weekend. Let us know how it sounds.

-- Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 pm --

dcrooks wrote:

You have quite a few options. HifiBerry is good. You could also try I2S dac from Iqaudio. (see link below).

http://iqaudio.co.uk/

I went with the Digi+ Pro because that gave separate clocks for the 44.1 and 48 khz frequency multiples, and connecting to a DAC via SPDIF. Over at darko.audio they've reviewed some of the Allo digital products very positively.

Like tardis26 says, lots of options out there now. Depends what you want to do.

Time for me to keep messing with the Pi.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm 

dcrooks wrote:

I've been using a HifiBerry DAC+ with my Raspberry Pi for a year or so and think it sounds great -- not quite as good as my CD player (an Arcam CD72) but close enough for my purposes. I recently purchased a Bryston BDA-1 DAC to test drive. My plan was to also purchase a HifiBerry DIGI+ to interface between the RPi and the BDA-1. However, being impatient, I tried connecting the RPi directly to the Bryston with a USB cable. The result was excellent -- at least as good as the RPi/Hifiberry DAC+ combo and quite probably better.

The "accepted wisdom" is that USB is inferior to coaxial/optical as a connection method so a RPi -> Hifiberry DIGI+ -> BDA-1 should give me even better results but so far I haven't felt compelled to try.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm 

The Boss Allo DAC absolutely crushed the HifiBerry DAC+ in my shootout.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am 

So I did manage to spend a little time with it, after configuration. But there was a gotcha (resolved now).

Sound wise, it was a little different, perhaps a bit leaner. But there was added detail, and I noted a more relaxed (for lack of a better word) presentation that was welcome. Not bad at all.

What was my "gotcha" ? For me I am using a smartphone to connect and select albums. But the layout on the screen wasn't right in Library view, I couldn't load entire album tracks as I had before. All the tracks were showing as "undefined" as well. It was a pain and I wasn't going to be happy with this. The webpage displayed normally on a laptop. So I asked on the thread at diyaudio.com.

I described the issue and supplied some screenshots. Had a very prompt response. Tim, the developer chimed in and mentioned it looked like the older version screen format. I had already tried rebooting, and refreshing the webpage to no avail. He suggested clearing the cache on the phone and bingo, that was it.

I'm going to spend more time with it tonight. Happy I made the jump as v4 is the actively developed version and v4.1 is coming soon, with an in-place upgrade process that should make things easy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 am 

I am also using the Boss card, it sounds great. Next step is to repurpose a smaller form factor stereo component box to house the mess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 am 

airdronian,
So I managed to get the Moode 4 installed after a few tries. It takes about an hour or so of installation process.
I am using the Pi with with the Iqauduio Pi-DAC+, and did some initial listening, and it does sound very good.

I'll have to do more listening to both Moode and Volumio to see if there is a winner. :)