Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm 

This is the first time I've done this, and am beginning to question my sanity. Today, I bought a Quad 33 preamp and FM3 tuner in a wooden sleeve off Kijiji and don't have any plans to use them, they'll just be for display. There's no way the 33 will be a patch on the Emotiva XSP-1 that I own and love. But ever since I was 18 and growing up in the UK (I'm 62 now), I've hankered after a Quad 33. There's just something about that orange and brown colour scheme. I'm planning to put both pieces in the sleeve on display on the unit underneath the TV in the living room, along with the rest of the 2-channel stuff, and never power them up.

Is this dementia setting in? Did you ever do such a thing? Help me justify it :) Or let me know if its time to reserve that room in the Shady Pines rest home :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm 

I'm a model railroader, anybody in that hobby already knows my answer to your question. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 pm 

I have nice pair of B&W headphones on a nice stand which I never use but they sure look nice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm 

hardeng wrote:
This is the first time I've done this, and am beginning to question my sanity. Today, I bought a Quad 33 preamp and FM3 tuner in a wooden sleeve off Kijiji and don't have any plans to use them, they'll just be for display. There's no way the 33 will be a patch on the Emotiva XSP-1 that I own and love. But ever since I was 18 and growing up in the UK (I'm 62 now), I've hankered after a Quad 33. There's just something about that orange and brown colour scheme. I'm planning to put both pieces in the sleeve on display on the unit underneath the TV in the living room, along with the rest of the 2-channel stuff, and never power them up.

Is this dementia setting in? Did you ever do such a thing? Help me justify it :) Or let me know if its time to reserve that room in the Shady Pines rest home :shock:

I get it. The Quad stuff is neat. I own some that I never use but won't part with. I saw that pair you bought. That was a good buy for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:49 pm 

I just bought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable (Beatles 1964 edition) and it's not even coming out of the box. I cannot justify it to myself, but I did it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:01 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

You have no idea :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:02 pm 

hardeng wrote:

You should try them, you may be pleasantly surprised. Those tuners are good in proximity to good stations.

I bought a couple pairs of Mites from a buddy in the audio industry several years ago. I already knew they sounded good because I tested them out in my main system, driven by an X-250. Had a pair sitting on a shelf in my basement for about 5 years now because I thought they'd be too small for my cottage where I had a little larger Wharfedales. Recently subbed them in at the cottage, and pretty immediately listed the Wharfedales.

@ Derek, you should post pics of your tonearm collection for starters.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:07 pm 
Premium User

Guilty of this with rock and ice climbing gear. There are some R2R players I've been tempted to buy just for looks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Che Cavolo wrote:
@ Derek, you should post pics of your tonearm collection for starters.... :lol:

The left handed ones or the right handed ones?

Or the watches.........................................

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:37 pm 

Hi,

I sold a Dynaco trifecta to a collector a few years ago - ST70/PAS3X/FM3 - he had the idea of opening a coffee shop and he was going to have a shelf bujlt around the perimeter that would have vintage audio components on display. I don't know if he ever did it but it was an interesting idea - sort of like those classic diners with the model railroad running around above your head. I always thought the Quad 33/303 was one of the coolest looking units ever manufactured. So, enjoy it.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

I sold a Dynaco trifecta to a collector a few years ago - ST70/PAS3X/FM3 - he had the idea of opening a coffee shop and he was going to have a shelf bujlt around the perimeter that would have vintage audio components on display. I don't know if he ever did it but it was an interesting idea - sort of like those classic diners with the model railroad running around above your head. I always thought the Quad 33/303 was one of the coolest looking units ever manufactured. So, enjoy it.

Cheers,
David Neice

We have one of those diners here. The wife and I love going there. It also has 40's and 50's memorabilia all over the place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

A Panasonic RS-845US quadraphonic 8-track player. I have no 8-track tapes and no intention of buying any, but I did replace the drive belt and the deck is hooked up.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm 

I recently purchased 4 - 100 year old 78rpm disks for display purposes only.
I have a component on order that was part of a deal that took a large pair of speakers off my hands. It is planned to go directly to the ads as it should be easier to move then the speakers would have been.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm 

europroducts wrote:
You have no idea :mrgreen:

... and neither do those around me :wink:

----

My job takes me all over the city and there is a nice old building (now renovated) in/near Liberty Village with all kinds of old gear on display in the lobby. The entrance is so far off the beaten path you wouldn't find it unless you had business there.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

I have an empty shelf in my rack, and no tube gear. I was thinking of buying one of the very inexpensive tube amps from Monoprice.

I would never use it. It would just be to look nice in my gear rack!

I have also thought of doing the same with musical instruments. A guitar and trumpetwould look great in my living room.