Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 am 

hi there, I have an early LP12 with Syrinx PU2 gold tonearm. I have an aging Dynavector 10X5 cartridge which I have enjoyed for over 10 years, but the left channel is starting to go and the cantilever appears to be out of alignment. The rest of my system consists of McIntosh C220 pre (MM phono only) and MC275 amp. Speakers are modified Magnepan 1.6QR. I would say I was 90% happy with the DV 10X5. The strong low end and big dynamics played well with the rest of my gear, but I would say the soundstage was a bit shallow and wasn't a whole lot of magic in the mid range. To be honest my MC 201 CD/SACD player would often best my TT in those areas in my opinion.

Any suggestions on a cart upgrade in the $1K to $2K price range? HOMC or high end MM would be preferred so I can plug directly into the C220 phono stage. If I were to go LOMC a step up transformer would have to be included in the budget, which would likely mean a sub $1K cart and sub $1K SUT.

Carts I'm considering are listed below.

SOUNDSMITH - Zephyr Mk III Moving Iron

Clearaudio Maestro v2 Ebony

Clearaudio Maestro v2 Ebony

Sumiko Blackbird Hi MC

Dynavector 20X2 Phono Cartridge

Hana Shibata (HOMC)

GRADO LABS Grado - Reference 2

Let me know is anyone has experience with these carts and if there's any other suggestions.

thx!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:12 am 

I have the same set up, except the pu2 is the standard one. Originally was a KOETSU Black. silly me bent the cantilever so the TT was closeted for a few years (!!). Finally got around and replaced it with a NAGAOKA MP-500, which had enough mass to balance the arm. Sounds great! Even with my less then stellar phono pre (Musical Fidelity X-LPS).

I've no experience with any of those other carts mentioned.

~A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm 

alzmtbr wrote:
I have the same set up, except the pu2 is the standard one. Originally was a KOETSU Black. silly me bent the cantilever so the TT was closeted for a few years (!!). Finally got around and replaced it with a NAGAOKA MP-500, which had enough mass to balance the arm. Sounds great! Even with my less then stellar phono pre (Musical Fidelity X-LPS).

~A

Thanks for the recommendation on the MP-500. I hadn't heard of them before, but the reviews sound good and nice to know they are a good match for the PU2 tone arm.

Does anyone know of any dealers in the Toronto area? Would be nice to have a listen.

I owned an X-LPS prior to buying my McIntosh C220. I found it to be a pretty good phono stage with no bad habits. I ultimately decided I liked the bloom of the C220 phono section, especially once I swapped out the stock tubes for a pair of Mullards in the phono stage and Tung Sols in the line stage.

I had a listen to the Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 Ebony and the Mobile Fidelity MasterTracker at a local high end shop. Both sounded nice, but hard to get a true sense of how they compare to my current DV 10X5 considering the turn tables and other components are so vastly different than my system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 pm 

I will second the Nagaoka. I have never owned an MP-500, but I have had an MP-30 (now the MP-300) for a number of years and I love it.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:56 am 

Of those carts, I'd suggest the Sumiko. If you're stepping up, MC is def the way to go, whether it's hi output MC or low with an sut, you will be hooked and never look back. Although I havenever used any of the Rothwell SUTs, they seem to come highly recommended and at a reasonable cost. You might be able to pick one up for less than $1K and spend a little more on your cart.