Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sealed "vintage" vinyl
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm 

Hopefully this doesn't get asked every day, didn't pop up on search. I use vintage for lack of a better word, but I am asking about primarily 60's 70's 80's vinyl albums that have apparently never been opened. Am I the only one who gets really excited about finding a sealed album and how great it might sound. But, then I can't bring myself to open it when I get it home?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm 

I've always thought this is the holy grail. But isn't the downside that it could well be warped (significantly so) and there's no way you can tell?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 pm 

I imagine that is always possible if the album doesn't lie flat. My biggest burn was a Blue rodeo, Diamond Mine album bought at a concert at the Jubilee. Brand new, not vintage but so warped I cant play it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

The process of cutting an lp involves a liquid cutting compound I believe.I wonder after all that time if it would compromise the surface?The owner of a local record shop once told me sealed records of that age are useless.Of course if they are collected and not opened it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm 

I have gotten very excited myself but have been burned twice. One was a very worn copy that was resealed. The seller had no idea. We chatted about it and he refunded my money. I was really disappointed because it was an album that was hard to find.

The other time, the record was wrapped so tight that when it was unsealed, it was warped.

Now I prefer opened but mint minus records. Mint records are too expensive! I have bought four copies of Exodus before I found one that was decent (despite the sellers claims). Sometimes it makes me want to buy reissues only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 pm 

I am amazed by the number of people that ask top $$ for lps they have "visually graded".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm 

I've bought quite a few "vintage" sealed records. At first I was very reluctant to open them up and play them, but then thought, what's the point of having it if I'm not going to enjoy playing/hearing a brand new, old record? I'm not concerned about collector value. I buy records that I want to hear, and I'm excited to find a sealed copy of an LP I like and now look forward to playing it for the first time.
Also, I've been fortunate, as I haven't bought any that were warped, or certainly not warped enough that it couldn't be played.
I've had worse luck with new, more recent pressings, but I'm much more selective with what I buy now. I'm not really interested in buying re-issued LP's made from digital masters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm 

bbsupersport wrote:
I've bought quite a few "vintage" sealed records. At first I was very reluctant to open them up and play them, but then thought, what's the point of having it if I'm not going to enjoy playing/hearing a brand new, old record? I'm not concerned about collector value. I buy records that I want to hear, and I'm excited to find a sealed copy of an LP I like and now look forward to playing it for the first time.
Also, I've been fortunate, as I haven't bought any that were warped, or certainly not warped enough that it couldn't be played.
I've had worse luck with new, more recent pressings, but I'm much more selective with what I buy now. I'm not really interested in buying re-issued LP's made from digital masters.

+1. brought home many sealed vintage records that were opened and played and were stunning. Only caveat now is that prices creeping into the stratosphere suggest if you bought it at a show, maybe there's no recourse. But I have been happy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 am 

I have been lucky and never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 am 

I've purchased 3 or 4 in the last year that were at least 30 yrs old and all were perfect.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 am 

hollinger wrote:
I've always thought this is the holy grail. But isn't the downside that it could well be warped (significantly so) and there's no way you can tell?

Unfortunately, the shrink wrap on a sealed album over time can easily warp an lp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:36 am 

I've picked up about 30 sealed vintage records over the last few years with vastly mixed results. I recently picked up a sealed 1959 copy of Bennett & Basie (yes, about 59 years old) and it was perfect (what a find!). Many have been warped and I will likely buy a record flattener because of it.

One funny "life is like a box of chocolates" story: A sealed Neil Diamond 1967 "Just For You" on Bang contained a copy of Van Morrison's "Blowin' Your Mind" record from the same year & label.

Since the sealed copies have a large premium on them and such unreliable quality, I prefer to purchase NM copies that have been play graded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 am 

starman100 wrote:
hollinger wrote:

Unfortunately, the shrink wrap on a sealed album over time can easily warp an lp.

If you buy a warped album there are some stores that have a flattening machine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 am 

I have a few sealed Lps I bought when new. I keep looking at them and someday may play them . I will open them up as they are ment to be heard. Not collected as a commodity or investment. The entire collection is an investment. Not just a few sealed records. Since I have upgraded my TT and cartridge I am replaying my faves to hear more from them . Once all that's done I may open up Fly by night from Rush. An Allman Brothers lp and a reissue of Dark side of the moon...but my original one still sound ok.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 am 

birdieman wrote:
The process of cutting an lp involves a liquid cutting compound I believe.I wonder after all that time if it would compromise the surface?The owner of a local record shop once told me sealed records of that age are useless.Of course if they are collected and not opened it doesn't matter.

Your record store friend is wrong. I just opened a Neil Young album from 1976 and it pays beautifully. There is no reason (other than potential warpage) that an ablum, unplayed for many years in its original wrapper, would not play well.

For the Neil Young album, my wife and I opened a new bottle of wine at the same time just to celebrate !