Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm 

Good evening gents,

I today contacted a seller on an item telling him his price was mine and to lock the sale to myself. Asked him to quote shipping and get back to me with the total price so that I could emit an EMT in the next minutes.

Turns out I get a reply from the seller telling me his roommate placed the ad for him and mispriced the item adding 50$ to the asking price. Along with this, he tells me that 8 buyers are in line and that since I first contacted him, I get the chance to answer first. At this stage of the discussions, the price on CAM has not changed and is still what I initialy replied on and agreed to pay.

Looks like a seller raising the bids on an highly regarded item.

I replied poliyely that unless he honored the asking price I could not go through the transaction.

I then received an email from him telling me the item was sold.

I then replied that Ive contacted the moderators to capture on whether such conduct was endorsed by them on CAM. I in fact did twice so that they had all emails and timestamps in hands.

2 minutes afterward, ive got a notification from CAM that the seller had updated his price 50$ up.

In about 70 transactions on CAM, Ive never seen this; what are your thoughts ?

Thanks folks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm 

Sounds like the seller was very unethical.
But they're out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm 

50$? better than a 100$ !
But, if you do not meet peeps like this - for ex., the time-wasting Friday night 'buyer' - every single day of your life, then count yourself a lucky man.
They cross my path way more frequently than I'd ever have thought possible. :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:23 pm 

It stinks, but, you said no and he moved on.
It must of been a good deal, even with the $50 tacked on, you should have checked your principles at the door.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 pm 

More a matter of being a man of ots word rather than hidding a bid war on a fixed price item.

This kind of behavior is killing me and this community as well; cant wait to get the mods feedback on this: we do not need this here.

Get this seller out please.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 pm 

seba007 wrote:
More a matter of being a man of ots word rather than hidding a bid war on a fixed price item.

This kind of behavior is killing me and this community as well; cant wait to get the mods feedback on this: we do not need this here.

The moderators won't and can't do anything. What do you want them to do ... tar and feathers?

It was a $hitty thing to do, but what would you do if he had lowered the price? Shouldn't it go both ways?

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

I guess he just wasn't rasied right.

-- 19 Feb 2018 23:56 --

Quadzilla wrote:
seba007 wrote:

The moderators won't and can't do anything. What do you want them to do ... tar and feathers?

It was a $hitty thing to do, but what would you do if he had lowered the price? Shouldn't it go both ways?

Lol. Why would he lower the price after buyer said he is willing to pay asking price..? I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm 

Well, good question.

From my perspective, it is a matter of endorsing the behavior or not.

The price lowering you propose is out of topic. Offering the item at the price that was posted was the thing to do.

Ive seen items posted at 1.25$ with a reply: sorry, typo, should have been 125.00$. That I get, but sorry 75 should have been 125; I dont, espexialy on highly looked at items.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 pm 

rotaryphoneuser wrote:
I guess he just wasn't rasied right.

-- 19 Feb 2018 23:56 --

Quadzilla wrote:
seba007 wrote:

Lol. Why would he lower the price after buyer said he is willing to pay asking price..? I wouldn't.

It was a hypothetical question. Nobody would have any problem if a seller lowered the price, but they panic if someone raises it.

I agree though, the guy has no ethics. I would have sold it for the initial advertised price, but maybe he really needed the money.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm 

I guess he was getting more inquiries than he was expecting and saw the $ sign. It kind a tells what kind of person this guy is. Oh yeah... roommate his butt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 pm 

seba quite interesting. What type and quantity did this buyer have? I know what I would do? There is always more fish in the tank than just one. Crappy way to conduct business!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm 

Does like a bait and switch, but relating it to retail sales - a store does not have to honour advertised pricing errors. Whether or not his room-mate story is legitimate, who knows but it sounds like someone you might want to steer clear of even if they did accept your original offer. If they are the type to change their asking price, falsifying the item's condition and who knows what else might be part of their ethics or lack thereof as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm 

I have seen a seller a few month ago that was changing is price every few days from $2500 to $2250 and then to $3000
I don t know if he sold, but I felt he was twice too high at any of his prices. I have not heard anybody complain. as long as the money is still in your hand, there is not much you can do. you are lucky, you did not loose money, then we would say otherwise. I bought some sacd the asking price was ridiculously low. I made an offer , the seller advised me he was going to raise the price after he discovered the real value. if he would have done so , it was ok, I did not gave him money yet, but he was a honest and let it as it was listed. I thank him, I bought them.
one thing though. you said you sent him email saying you would give him is price, but if he never answered saying OK. there was no deal yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am 

brendelac wrote:
Does like a bait and switch, but relating it to retail sales - a store does not have to honour advertised pricing errors. Whether or not his room-mate story is legitimate, who knows but it sounds like someone you might want to steer clear of even if they did accept your original offer. If they are the type to change their asking price, falsifying the item's condition and who knows what else might be part of their ethics or lack thereof as well.

Agreed 100%

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

After he listed the price and received a lot of interest he realized he should have started higher which sucks but you need to honor the price and the deal that you made. In my mind a deal is made when the money is received and the customer has the product in their hands and happy. In your case you never had the chance to complete the deal. Poor selling practice for sure.
On the opposite of that I am selling a pair of speakers (100lbs worth)that I agreed to take to the post office , and then agreed to his lower price offer. The customer then added he wants me to include 100ft of 12 gauge oxygen free speaker wire and a dozen banana's. A dozen cheap banana's that I do not sell would be at least another $50 and at least another $100 for wire. I said I could not include that at the price and so we were now at an impasse.